Why do people think show Robb is so different from book Robb? possible spoilers!

The Hound of Ulster

Not really getting the argument that show Robb and book Robb are different, Ive seen alot if people on here being critical of show Robb and comparing him to a spoilt child and saying he is not like that in the books...WRONG as much as i like Robb (tv and book) he still made mistakes in the book much like he does in the show ie marrying tulisa and in the books sarcastically mocking cats warning to send Rolph Spicer away when she hears greywind does not like him, Marrying Jeyne Westerling is a dumb move regardless of the fact she comforted him through the supposed death of Bran and Rickon. So to summarise Robb stark was everything the show has tried to get across the only difference is he married for love in the show and some would say thats a more honourable trait than say marrying because he feels he has to...i.e westerling.

I agree for the most part!

Only I feel like show Robb seems a bit sillier then book Robb, though this is only because of the character change between Jeyne Westerling and Talisa of, what is it? Volantis? That annoyed me, because not only did he break his vow, he did it with some foreigner who means nothing in Westeros. At least book Jeyne was from an old Westeros house.

People might just feel like book Robb and show Robb are so different because you get a really different view of them; the show seems more personal/insightful (like if you only watched the show you would be stunned that Robb had no POVs).

In the show he married out of love and, some would say, a complete lack of self-control, however in the books he married out of duty to the noble born girl whose maidenhead he took. I think what the arguers are trying to get at here is that the books show him more honorable like his father Ned, while the show shows him as more of a kid who can't his willy in his pants. I don't know, that's what I'm getting out of this whole thing. Personally I don't care, I just want the show to stop fucking up Jon's story :tantrum:

In the show he married out of love and, some would say, a complete lack of self-control, however in the books he married out of duty to the noble born girl whose maidenhead he took. I think what the arguers are trying to get at here is that the books show him more honorable like his father Ned, while the show shows him as more of a kid who can't his willy in his pants. I don't know, that's what I'm getting out of this whole thing. Personally I don't care, I just want the show to stop fucking up Jon's story :tantrum:

Well said.

Show Robb married Talisa because he wanted to and didn't want to marry a Frey. Book Robb made a (reasonably understandable) slip, slept with Jeyne and, in a position where he had to dishonour somebody, chose what he perceived to be the lesser of two evils.

In the book he made a lapse and struggled to recover from it by using the morals his father taught him, in the show he just didn't care about who he dishonoured at any point.

ETA: OP you have quite a wonderful username.

I think the show ,kind of makes too big a deal about the love story and him. He is supposed to be the Young Wolf, winning battle after battle. We really get nothing of that in the show as he is now turned into more of a "prince charming" who falls in love with a girl "below his station".

As for his actual character/personality I feel like they are both pretty spot on, however Robb doesn't have much of a personality soooo it may not be hard to do

Show Robb married Talisa because he wanted to and didn't want to marry a Frey. Book Robb made a (reasonably understandable) slip, slept with Jeyne and, in a position where he had to dishonour somebody, chose what he perceived to be the lesser of two evils.

In the book he made a lapse and struggled to recover from it by using the morals his father taught him, in the show he just didn't care about who he dishonoured at any point.

ETA: OP you have quite a wonderful username.

Yep, this is pretty much it. In the books, even though I thought he made a mistake, I could appreciate the decision for the tragic mistake it was. I can't do that with the show.

Also, to make it worse, part of his motivation in the show was because he was mad at his mom. Pretty juvenile.

Did HBO give an explanation for this?

It was a deliberate decision on the part of the producers to change this storyline in to a love story. Hence, Talisa was born.

Personally, the element that made me rage the most is that they were married under the Faith rather than the Old Gods.

In the books Robb breaking his marriage contract to the Frey's is because he gets Jeyne pregnant and chooses her honour over his. and it is implied that it was hard for him but I did what he through was right over what was probably smart (very Ned like) as the westerlngs aren't very strtegically important and the Frey's are more so. in the show Robb's decision to break the contract comes of as completly selfish with no throught towards the consequences. thats a pretty big difference.

Well the age grow was totally forseable due to the target the series is aimed to.

Far more ppl watches the show compared to the ones that actually have read the books.

I doubt a casual watcher would want to see a 15 year boy commanding and army, or worst a 13 year old girl getting raped by Jason Momoa

Well the age grow was totally forseable due to the target the series is aimed to.

Far more ppl watches the show compared to the ones that actually have read the books.

I doubt a casual watcher would want to see a 15 year boy commanding and army, or worst a 13 year old girl getting raped by Jason Momoa

Jon and Robb are 15 at GOT. No more, no less. It's just the truth. If they don't like that, too bad for them.

Archived