Why do people think show Robb is so different from book Robb? possible spoilers!

The Hound of Ulster

A lot in the show are different from the book. Talisa story on the show is one of those that made me go "hey I hate HBO".

Yup was all over the news...my lawyer bailed me out of it :P

you guys, come on. The Talisa story was at least more believable than the Jeyne Westerling story! I was at least happy they showed exactly how/why they fell in love instead of just hearing it from others, after it had already happened

In the books Robb breaking his marriage contract to the Frey's is because he gets Jeyne pregnant and chooses her honour over his. and it is implied that it was hard for him but I did what he through was right over what was probably smart (very Ned like) as the westerlngs aren't very strtegically important and the Frey's are more so. in the show Robb's decision to break the contract comes of as completly selfish with no throught towards the consequences. thats a pretty big difference.

Yes, except Robb never got Jeyne pregnant. He married her since he took her virginity. Her mother was given her herbs to prevent pregnancy.

you guys, come on. The Talisa story was at least more believable than the Jeyne Westerling story! I was at least happy they showed exactly how/why they fell in love instead of just hearing it from others, after it had already happened

Sooo you will enjoy Jon and Ygritte scenes more in the show because you will be actually seeing it? :drool:

i thought that the show writers did a very good job all considered. sticking to the westerling thread would have involved introducing several new characters that would have not had much to do until......... sob... you know.....

by having the Volantine Lady we were given a lone lady who conviently had a backstory that gave us an idea of what life is like in the free cities for slaves..... which will be imp later eh..geddit!.... i also believe that she will be his plus 1 at his uncles nuptuals, helping tie a thread up neatly.

Jon and Robb are 15 at GOT. No more, no less. It's just the truth. If they don't like that, too bad for them.

GRRM has said that he himself had wished he made the Stark kids older, so really the whole ageing up thing that the show did was probably one of the least bad things they could've changed when turning the books into a T.V. show.

I just want to know how a young woman from Volantis can roam around following armies, then fix up the wounded, and somehow nobody on the "winning side" you know...rapes and murders her...this cahracter just doesnt fit in the ASOIAF universe, at least what she does.

GRRM has said that he himself had wished he made the Stark kids older, so really the whole ageing up thing that the show did was probably one of the least bad things they could've changed when turning the books into a T.V. show.

Yes, he'd originally planned the infamous five year gap but then dropped it, leaving him faced with characters younger than he would have wanted. I've read the same thing as well, it's a mistake he believes he made.

Considering the audience and themes in the show, I consider the aging up the characters to be relatively minor compared to other changes. It really doesn't bother me.

I just want to know how a young woman from Volantis can roam around following armies, then fix up the wounded, and somehow nobody on the "winning side" you know...rapes and murders her...this cahracter just doesnt fit in the ASOIAF universe, at least what she does.

This is my big complaint about her. Martin is very consistent in the rules and consequences characters face in ASOIAF. Brienne, a fighter, was faced with rape, rescued only be Jaime's quick thinking. Talisa's characters break the rules and we don't really have a good explanation for that. The same season gave us Cersei's speech to Sansa on women as brood mares. That and Talisa do not match.

i got the impression she was under the protection of the other healers and the silent sisters. I agree though odd senario thought i presumed that because she was highborn she was rich and would have servants

In the books Robb breaking his marriage contract to the Frey's is because he gets Jeyne pregnant and chooses her honour over his. and it is implied that it was hard for him but I did what he through was right over what was probably smart (very Ned like) as the westerlngs aren't very strtegically important and the Frey's are more so. in the show Robb's decision to break the contract comes of as completly selfish with no throught towards the consequences. thats a pretty big difference.

no, jeyne is not pregnant. he marries her to protect her honor after deflowering her. as far as we know she is not pregnant but there is some speculation....

agreed - i remember sitting there going - wtf? when i saw her on screen. I found myself zoning out on those parts of the episodes, so much so, i didnt even know her name until i read it here :dunno:

this. the jeyne westerling story seems to be so far fetched and as a forced plot move in order to set up the red wedding. it is interesting that it is preferred to a young man falling in love. even if i do believe talisa was planted there to trap robb.

i got the impression she was under the protection of the other healers and the silent sisters. I agree though odd senario thought i presumed that because she was highborn she was rich and would have servants

Unfortunatley their is not much protection that other healers and silent sisters could offer. We know from the books that silent sisters/septons/septas, etc get raped and killed throughout the story. The fact is in the books no one is safe..especially highborn..

The show just contradicts itself so much.

edit - I meant lowborn

marrying because he feels he has to...i.e westerling.

in the books he married out of duty to the noble born girl whose maidenhead he took.

Book Robb made a (reasonably understandable) slip, slept with Jeyne and, in a position where he had to dishonour somebody, chose what he perceived to be the lesser of two evils.

In the book he made a lapse and struggled to recover from it by using the morals his father taught him, in the show he just didn't care about who he dishonoured at any point.

he marries her to protect her honor after deflowering her.

And more people on this forum: everybody seems to be missing the fact that Robb loved Jeyne in the books as well. I think that the story that they made for the show was silly, but I disagree with the notion that he married her exclusively because of duty in the books.

More believable?

- A noble foreign woman going around battlefields without getting killed or raped

- Robb being turned on by her sawing off a man's leg

- Her being allowed to enter his tent at all times, Roose Bolton (you know, Roose Bolton!) backing out of the tent without a word in the middle of a war council every time she enters

- A woman being allowed to talk cheekily to the king without repercussions at all

:rolleyes: Believable and realistic indeed.

Unfortunatley their is not much protection that other healers and silent sisters could offer. We know from the books that silent sisters/septons/septas, etc get raped and killed throughout the story. The fact is in the books no one is safe..especially highborn..

The show just contradicts itself so much.

edit - I meant lowborn

Yup, I would only add that the silent sisters were supposed to be Stranger's wives, protected by their sinister reputation. Talisa was young and attractive and did not wear a creepy mask or signs of her trade. She could easily have been taken as a common woman by any random soldier who happened to want a whore for a time.

Also, this should be in the show forums.

And more people on this forum: everybody seems to be missing the fact that Robb loved Jeyne in the books as well. I think that the story that they made for the show was silly, but I disagree with the notion that he married her exclusively because of duty in the books.

More believable?

- A noble foreign woman going around battlefields without getting killed or raped

- Robb being turned on by her sawing off a man's leg

- Her being allowed to enter his tent at all times, Roose Bolton (you know, Roose Bolton!) backing out of the tent without a word in the middle of a war council every time she enters

- A woman being allowed to talk cheekily to the king without repercussions at all

:rolleyes: Believable and realistic indeed.

yup lol :rolleyes:

he may have come to love her but he married her the next day or so after sleeping with her. that was for her honor unless you believe robb experienced love at first sight and couldn't dream of living without her after their first night of intimacy.

The first few things that come to mind are;

Show Robb always looked brave and smart, fearless and successful. Only afraid when he first decided to call his bannermen, but that was like just a second..

Book Robb is a fifteen-sixteen year-old boy who is indecisive about the most...

Show Robb wed for love, just because that was what the audience needed..

Book Robb wed for honor, for stupidity because he broke another and more important vow just to make sure that he wasn't a man making bastards, so practically, Robb lost the war because he didn't want to be like his father.. But in a show where we hear no inside voice like we do in books, it is normal trying to make it a classic blood-love-treason show...

Archived