Makeup

WillWork4NinjaPowers

I love Dr. Haushka for skincare. It's expensive, but worth it, imo. As far as cleansing, I do Ivory soap, Cetaphil, and some Dermadoctor products.

With regards to makeup, I wear whatever. I am really loving Korres, Tarte, and Smashbox right now.

I'm using a Chanel nail polish right now that I am in love, love, love with - the color is graphite and it's amazing. It's edgy without being to goth for work.

I am stunning in black eyeliner. It's too bad my facial hair now has Wolverine's healing factor, as there was a time when I could better pass for a woman.

Pics, please.

ETA: I'm a firm believer in not using soap on my face. After having oily skin all my life, I came to the conclusion around 10 years ago that soap was too drying. Now I strictly use the Costco brand of Ponds towelettes - they leave my face feeling soft.

as for makeup, I still go strictly drugstore. Loreal Voluminous with the curved brush for eyelashes. (I have a set of demi lashes for special occasions :D) Loreal or Revlon eyeshadows - which I'd love to hear suggestions about, since my eyelids seem to absorb any colors and leave me looking like I have none on. And I MUST use lipstain, since I seem to have lost part of my lipline. If I go without some lasting color, I look like a member of the Undead.

When I was in my 20s/early 30s, I never wore makeup other than some mascara and lipgloss. I have started wearing more eye makeup and more sheer lip glosses/balms. It seems to be more youthful to me. In any case, I just think I look better with some eyebrows/eye shadow and lots of lashes.

I love NY Doll brand makeup. Their mascara is great. For eye shadow primer, I'm a big fan of Lorac's. It seems to have more staying power. I also like the Stila eye liner pens. They've got a glitter brown that is stone cold awesome. But it's a bitch to remove.

ETA: My mom had some photos of me in my mid twenties that we were looking at this a.m.. I was so cute. And I never thought I was. I was always too critical of myself. Let this be a lesson to you ladies that are in your twenties and thirties. You are all hot mamas. Work it and enjoy. :)

Thank you for starting this thread!

When I get home, I will have questions! I can now wear makeup one day a week at my internship. It is weird and nice. Cannot wear makeup to my job, ever. Not for the past 18 years.

I'm dying of curiosity too as to why you can't. You don't work at a Catholic girls boarding school, do you?

I know a lot of health providers have forbidden their employees from wearing artificial nails, etc. That, at least, makes sense.

Elder Sis, when I was in my teens, I wore artificial lashes AND plied them with several coats of mascara! I looked like JLo with her fur eyelashes. :P This was back in the day, though, when long, straight hair with dramatic eyes were de rigueur.

Pics, please.

ETA: I'm a firm believer in not using soap on my face. After having oily skin all my life, I came to the conclusion around 10 years ago that soap was too drying. Now I strictly use the Costco brand of Ponds towelettes - they leave my face feeling soft.

as for makeup, I still go strictly drugstore. Loreal Voluminous with the curved brush for eyelashes. (I have a set of demi lashes for special occasions :D) Loreal or Revlon eyeshadows - which I'd love to hear suggestions about, since my eyelids seem to absorb any colors and leave me looking like I have none on. And I MUST use lipstain, since I seem to have lost part of my lipline. If I go without some lasting color, I look like a member of the Undead.

Drugstore makeup ruins my skin and makes my eyes swell. I hate it. I LOVE the Makeup Forever waterproof eyeshaow sticks. They stay out and don't need primer. Every year I get a Smashbox holiday kit, whatever it is that they have out. So many colors for such a good price. You would probably spend less on the kit, that contains just about everything, usually, than you would adding up drugstore makeup.

Also- eyebrows. If it weren't for my Anastasia eyebrow kit, I dunno what I would do.

I'm willing to learn new ways! You can still teach this old dog some new tricks. :P

ETA: I admit I smiled to myself when reading WW4NP's post about drugstore makeup. My first reaction was, Ah, she don't know what she's talking about. Then I realized my eyes DO swell up a bit!

:lol:

Loreal or Revlon eyeshadows - which I'd love to hear suggestions about, since my eyelids seem to absorb any colors and leave me looking like I have none on.

It might be a fault of the brands you're using, but have you tried cream eyeshadows? There's also this gel-like thing you can buy, I have no idea what it's called, but it looks like clear lipgloss. You put it on before your eyeshadow and it helps it stay for longer. I also prime my eyes by putting powder on them.

Be easier to just state my daily routine:

Face cream. Cucumber, soothing, I can get some nasty red patches on my cheeks.

Concealer. Mainly because I got it for free. Rimmel.

Foundation. Maybelline all the way, Dream Satin Liquid foundation.

Powder. Maybelline again, though tbh when money's tight, powder is powder. I currently have their new Fit Me powder.

Eyeliner. It's like a cream liner, or 'eye definer', that I put along the top of my lash line. Brown, since watching True Blood and seeing the same on a girl who had the same colouring as me. Rimmel again I think.

Eyeshadow: I don't always use this, but I tend to stick to natural colours.

Mascara: Maybelline again, Falsies mascara, or Loreal Volume Million Lashes, for when I can afford to treat myself :lol: I usually use two mascaras if I'm going out out, one to 'pump' my lashes up (for which I use a cheaper brand) and the other to lengthen.

... This actually isn't as much effort as it sounds. When going to college or just popping out it's usually just foundation and some mascara to make me look slightly human. I'd be interested in hearing about a cheaper mascara that works as well as the above Loreal one, because I love love love that, but it's like £12 :(

Dracarya, when I was in university I put on make-up like that. The funny thing is, when you are young and have lovely skin, you don't actually need all that stuff. Except for confidence boosting, of course. Don't clog up your pores with too much chemical crap. :)

Dracarya, when I was in university I put on make-up like that. The funny thing is, when you are young and have lovely skin, you don't actually need all that stuff. Except for confidence boosting, of course. Don't clog up your pores with too much chemical crap. :)

I actually have bad skin, it's pretty clear with regard to spots, but it's all red (sure there's a name for that, rose-something..) and I have had skin cysts when I was younger, leaving me with marks. I couldn't not wear all of that make-up, I'd terrorise the townspeople :lol:

I have a question for the more mature ladies...I have recently given up translucent powder as a 'fix' for setting makeup as it tends to gather in the teeny wrinkles that seem to be appearing more frequently on my precious, fossilized face. :) Do you guys use that setting spray at all? I know MAC has one, but I haven't tried it.

Dracarya, you looked fine to me, maybe I was too busy listening to you and not looking for flaws. :D

ETA: ES, are you using primer? I rofl when I first heard about primer, but there's a reason the pros used it for years on actors and models. Smashbox has a good one as do others.

Dracarya, I swear by Dermadoctor and Dr. Haushka. I have extremely fair skin, and I get compliments on my complexion, but I have to be really careful about what I use on it. I have a tendency towards breakouts, plus I have eczema that I have to be careful about. Being redheaded and Casper white sometimes (often) sucks.

Laura Mercier is great and works really for me as far as base and concealer go. And I clean with Dermadoctor and Ivory soap.

Archived