Do you think Theon's a reformed character after his ordeal?

Wagshell

One thing that has struck me about Theon is that despite his humbling experience, I still get the impression that he'd still screw everybody over if he got the chance.

I don't think he's reformed at all. I think he'd still be just as sly and sneaky and couldn't be trusted at all. I hope he soon gets the death he hopes for because I don't see any good coming from his character if his luck changes. He's a bad egg and his moral compass hasn't been corrected by Ramsey's abuse.

His moral compass hasn't been fully corrected, because nobody's moral compass has been fully corrected in this series. But its been improved a great deal. Theon was never really treacherous, in fact he wanted to serve someone, to be accepted and that coupled with his emotional weakness made him take dumb decisions.

Theon was never really treacherous,

He himself admits that he betrayed his best friend Robb I believe...

What I don't get about Theon is that he goes up to his old man, who he hasn't seen in over 10 years and has barely kept in touch with him (let alone that Balon made much effort in getting his then only son back) and after some verbal abuse goes "oh ok I'll just betray the guys who fed me for over 10 years, and my best friend no problem, love me daddy".

Even if Theon never felt fully accepted in his foster family, betraying a good friend like that for some old moron who obviously didn't care much for you while you were gone seems baffling.

@ OP

I don't believe in Theon's redemption either, I will wait and see if he's turned over a new leaf.

Humans don't change their ways that often.

Theon was more confused than truly treacherous. Mistaking his nominal family (Greyjoy) for his true family (Stark), regardless of the initial origins and circumstances of his wardship. Calling Theon's time at Winterfell with the Starks a "hostage" is only a rhetorical twist to confuse Theon. As Reek, he remembers. He is a hostage with the Boltons.

Had I been Theon, after Balon's rejection I wld've taken the first ship back to the Riverlands. Theon was proud, tho.

I find Theon to be truly interesting, and aside from that pathos involved in his physical despair, he has shown an strong will. He plays Reek, he plays Theon for the Boltons as Reek (being Theon).

But most importantly, he is becoming anointed (for lack of a better term) by the old gods. He is realizing Winterfell as the closest thing to home, Robb as his brother, etc. He goes out to the godswood, like Sansa and Ned, for his solitude and prayer. And, as a result of his torture and humiliation, has become an ascetic - at first unwilled, but now, he has met his fate nobly, I think. He is not afraid to die, with no member he treats women with more respect and thought - all of this accumulates in Theon's favor, for his benefit. Amor fati.

With this asceticism, he became a believer in the old gods, and they are the key to his survival and prosperity. He will atone for his betrayal by aiding the Stark return from exile, in defeating the Boltons. To that effect.

Or Theon will die ignominiously, and no one 'cept Asha will give a damn.

I don't know if Theon has the strength left to hold to a moral code in the kind of circumstances it'd take to redeem himself but he does really regret what he did.

His moral compass hasn't been fully corrected, because nobody's moral compass has been fully corrected in this series.

If you count before the series started then there's Davos, the Elder Brother and Septon Meribald.

If not then you've got me, there's a fair few characters that have started out with a strong moral compass and didn't lose it though.

He himself admits that he betrayed his best friend Robb I believe...

What I don't get about Theon is that he goes up to his old man, who he hasn't seen in over 10 years and has barely kept in touch with him (let alone that Balon made much effort in getting his then only son back) and after some verbal abuse goes "oh ok I'll just betray the guys who fed me for over 10 years, and my best friend no problem, love me daddy".

Even if Theon never felt fully accepted in his foster family, betraying a good friend like that for some old moron who obviously didn't care much for you while you were gone seems baffling.

@ OP

I don't believe in Theon's redemption either, I will wait and see if he's turned over a new leaf.

You may be waiting a while. considering that the Heart Trees will be full on his blood in a few

I don't think he can be reformed, he betrayed Robb who freed him back to his father. Which in itself isn't that bad, but then he takes Winterfell and kills children to make himself known to the ironborn. I don't want him to be reformed, I want him to die. Not because he betrayed the Starks, they Freys did worse i think but because he killed children.

He has paid for his betrayal by having his mind and body broken. IMO he's gonna try to make things right by helping the North in some way; he already has by trying to help fake Arya.

Theon does have this acceptance of death in which he will welcome it. If he's allowed to defend the North and die fighting than that would be alright for him. And I think for the story too.

I don't believe that he's "reformed" at all, not that his POV's after Ramsay's torture can really be relied upon due to his mental & emotional state. It seems as though he'd pretty much accept any route out of the world he's found/dug himself into, be it someone elses gods or a washerwoman with a get out of jail free card.

BUT...most people don't go through Ramsey's torture either.

I do think there is a small chance he will help the Starks in some way. I will be interested to see if Bran was taunting him through the Weirwood or whether he has some kind of a plan to help Theon redeem himself.

I don't think he can be reformed, he betrayed Robb who freed him back to his father. Which in itself isn't that bad, but then he takes Winterfell and kills children to make himself known to the ironborn. I don't want him to be reformed, I want him to die. Not because he betrayed the Starks, they Freys did worse i think but because he killed children.

Soooo Jamie also deserves to not be reformed because he basically killed Bran...in the sense of all his hopes and dreams, i.e. a future he himself chooses willingly. Bran survived because he had plot armor on when he hit the ground. If you also feel this way about Jamie then... :drool: . If not then you are a hypocrite. :fencing:

Archived