Decemeber Reading Thread: How Are You Finishing Off The Year

dornish prince

I'm reading the Dunk and Egg stories, and I plan on starting with Dune. I've seen it reccomended in many blogs, and here too, so I'm intrigued!

I keep forgetting to read the Dunk and Egg stories. You will love Dune. Very interesting world and concepts. :)

By her, try Wheel of the Infinite, if you want to try again. It's probably her better book.

I may, but Death of the Necromancer was about the same for me, a book that had great ideas but never really worked for me.

I keep forgetting to read the Dunk and Egg stories. You will love Dune. Very interesting world and concepts. :)

I liked the first half of Dune, but I am one of the very few who just didn't get it, and I was bored by the end. So he probably will love Dune, but there are a few of us out there...

I'm still working on The Half-Made World. I'm almost 3/4 done, and I am semi-enjoying it. I find it frustrating how little seems to actually happen. Or rather, stuff happens, but anything big seems to happen off screen so I feel like I'm constantly watching through a tiny window something mundane while really cool things are happening just out of view. I dunno. We'll see how I feel after I finish it.

Just went on a spree through Amazon's Kindle deals section, so I have several new books to work on next!

The last Fifty Shades? You read the first two? :ack:

They were such a rage, I had too. After the first 100th sex scene, I'd skim them to get to the simple story of poor poor Grey. Alas, I couldn't do it after a while. Don't hate me because I like pop culture and had to check this out!! :lol:

Heh, I "read" all 3 back in the summer, I considered it a challenge to see if indeed they were as bad as people said. They were worse, but they were a hoot to read, my inner goddess couldn't stop giggling and eye-rolling. It's too bad I didn't have internet access at the time, I was so tempted to post my thoughts.

November was a bad month for reading, I swear I spent most of it reading Hide me among the Graves by Tim Powers, a few pages a day, if that. It might be the reason I really hated it, reading like that has never been my thing. December started a lot better.

I read the excellent Infidel by Kameron Hurley. I loved every page of it and couldn't put it down. I think it was even better than God's War.

Then I made the mistake of reading one of the free Kindle books I got last month, The Zombie Wilson Diaries by Timothy Long. Don't read it. It made my skin crawl not because there were zombies involved but because of the creepy way the author had his hero fondle the zombie chick and generally be aroused by her. :ack: Yes, I had to go heavy on the brain bleach after that.

I now started Blackout by Mira Grant. It's been sitting on my bookshelf for a few months, it's about time I get to it and it's hopefully going to wipe the previous book from my mind.

I loved the Dunk & Egg stories. I finished them last night. Read them! :P

I started with Dune today, I'll let you know how it goes :D

I'm juggling a few things, but for fantasy, I'll be finishing Wheel of Time: Knife of Dreams, New Spring, The Gathering Storm, and Towers of Midnight. Should be able to get through those before the last one comes out.

The non-fantasy book that's taking precedent at the moment is Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. Also reading Jack Kerouac's On the Road when I get a chance. Finally, I'm also wrapping up Stehen King's Dark Tower series (which I suppose you could consider fantasy).

I finally got why people wanted to burn 1Q84! In any case, Murakami's endings are always like that, and I don't mind. I was more agitated with chapters with narrator explanations that get in the way of the POV narrative. It's almost like there is no trust in the ability of the reader to follow the story.

Have started Red Country, so far so good. It did take me a while to adjust to the language style.

Finished The Half-Made World. Not sure what to think of it. I liked it, sure, but I also feel like I read a LOT of pages for very little overall story. Also for some reason thought it was a standalone, so now I'm annoyed that I have to read another book to find out what really happens!

Next up is Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. No idea what to expect, hope it doesn't suck!

ETA: I can't be the only one who is being driven crazy by "Decemeber," right?!

I'm reading a book that's doubleplusgood!

Anyone want to guess what I'm reading. :laugh:

Is 1984 too obvious? ;)

And yeah, dear OP, or Mod, please correct that typo, although it's kinda ironic :)

Just finished a reread of The Shadow of the Wind. It has got to be my favourite book. It's just beautiful.

I'm currently reading Return of the Crimson Guard a chapter at a time to follow along with the Tor Malazan reread. I still prefer Erikson over ICE no contest.

As soon as I get a chance I'll start Cold Days and then probably finish the thing that day because that's how all Butcher's books go for me. Means I'll have to pick and choose when to start it because exams are going on and at some point I should probably study.

Archived