Lord Tywin and Shae: an explanation

King.In.Yellow

A lot of people on these boards have been screaming hypocrisy at Lord Tywin for scorning whores but bedding Shae.

However, a popular theory is that Lord Tywin had been poisoned with Widow's Blood, which shuts down the bowels and bladder, by Prince Oberyn Martell. This would explain his long visits to the privy and the fact that in the time it took Tyrion to nab a crossbow, load it, strangle Shae and walk to the privy, Lord Tywin had not relieved himself in the slightest. It is also corroborated by the fact that his body stank strongly, even after being cleaned (the sheer amount of feces and urine in it did that).

So, my theory on Shae in his bedchamber is such: Lord Tywin needed to poop and he had tried everything... everything except sexual release. He swallowed his pride and bedded Shae, hoping that sexual release would stimulate his bowels. Ultimately, it didn't help, but it is my belief that he believed that sexual release would help him poop. Hence, Shae.

There's no hypocrisy in Tywin sleeping with prostitutes. He does it so privately that it's not a source of gossip and mockery, he doesn't fall in love with these low women and consider marrying them, and so on. Tywin's issue with Tyrion is not his occasionalneed to satisfy his lusts -- when a man thirsts, he drinks; when he lusts, he should do something about it as well -- but that he brings shame and mockery on the house by how he conducts himself.

Is it hypocritical to tell an alcoholic that it's good that he's avoiding alcohol, while then going and drinking a beer? No. Is it hypocritical to tell a person with emphysema that they should stay away from cigarettes, then smoke one yourself later? No. You don't share those illnesses, that's all.

He slept with Shae because it was convenient for him when he felt an urge to have a woman. That's all.

There is not hypocrisy. Tywin problem with Tyrion is not his use of prostitutes as such, but Tyrion vulnerability to them - his belief that prostitute can have real feelings for him. Tywin wouldn't give a damn if Tyrion had sex with half of prostitutes in King's Landing - he was against Tyrion bringing prostitute with him to the capital, which implied an attachment (something Tywin loathed because of his father history with a woman he saw as a gold digger).

Tywin has no such problem. For him prostitutes are nothing, but sexual objects to satisfy "natural" needs. So for him there is no problem to sleep with prostitutes.

Edit: Ran beat me to it.

So, my theory on Shae in his bedchamber is such: Lord Tywin needed to poop and he had tried everything... everything except sexual release. He swallowed his pride and bedded Shae, hoping that sexual release would stimulate his bowels. Ultimately, it didn't help, but it is my belief that he believed that sexual release would help him poop. Hence, Shae.

Sorry, did you just say that Tywin had wanted Shae to literally fuck the shit out of him?

There's no hypocrisy in Tywin sleeping with prostitutes. He does it so privately that it's not a source of gossip and mockery, he doesn't fall in love with these low women and consider marrying them, and so on. Tywin's issue with Tyrion is not his occasionalneed to satisfy his lusts -- when a man thirsts, he drinks; when he lusts, he should do something about it as well -- but that he brings shame and mockery on the house by how he conducts himself.

Is it hypocritical to tell an alcoholic that it's good that he's avoiding alcohol, while then going and drinking a beer? No. Is it hypocritical to tell a person with emphysema that they should stay away from cigarettes, then smoke one yourself later? No. You don't share those illnesses, that's all.

He slept with Shae because it was convenient for him when he felt an urge to have a woman. That's all.

Ran I do agree with you about Tywin sleeping with whores to satisfy his lusts. Vary does mention in ACOK that the secret tunnel to Alayana's was for a past hand, with Tywin possibly being that hand. However if Tywin needed to fufil is urges why sleep with Shae and not any other whore. Was Tywin curious as to why his son fell in love with Shea or was something perverse with Tywin likely the idea of having his son's whore?

The problem Tyrion has is that he is a sucker for anyone who shows him affection, he rarely is shown affection from anyone other than Jaime.

` I think he's a hypocrite. I'm convinced the tunnel into Chataya's was constructed for Twyin. His condemnations of whores go beyond, "Tyrion, don't fall for a whore." He denigrates them to his son. And why make Tyrion believe that Tysha was a whore and have a whole garrison take her? Also, we act like Tyrion falls in love with every whore he's bedded. He fell for one, unless I'm missing something.

Lastly, he tells Tyrion not to bring Shae to King's Landing, but hey since she's already here I might as well make use of her.

A lot of people on these boards have been screaming hypocrisy at Lord Tywin for scorning whores but bedding Shae.

However, a popular theory is that Lord Tywin had been poisoned with Widow's Blood, which shuts down the bowels and bladder, by Prince Oberyn Martell. This would explain his long visits to the privy and the fact that in the time it took Tyrion to nab a crossbow, load it, strangle Shae and walk to the privy, Lord Tywin had not relieved himself in the slightest. It is also corroborated by the fact that his body stank strongly, even after being cleaned (the sheer amount of feces and urine in it did that).

It is the weirdest theory I ever heard.. Possible though..

I didn't see any hypocrisy in Tywin sleeping with a whore relative to his attitudes toward Tyrion. I did see hypocrisy in Shae wearing the Hand necklace relative to Tywin's attitude towards his own father's mistress.

If there was some other girl from Chataya's in there it would barely register as a blip for me, but the fact that he chose Tyrion's whore struck me as psychologically significant (though not hypocritical.)

Wha? This is a joke right? It is funny.

It is surmised that he used the underground tunnels to avail himself of lots of whores, not just shae.

Varys said that the tunnels were built by a previous Hand whose honor could not let him be publicly seen visiting a brothel. After Joanna died, Tywin became a john in secret to avoid damaging the reputation of his house.

Archived