ASoIaF Elimination Game 32: Best quote in AGoT

a free shadow

1) Can a man still be brave if he's afraid? / That is the only time a man can be brave. 9

2) Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities. 8

3) A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. 8

5) When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. 5

6) There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man. 9

7) Stick them with the pointy end. 4

8) I will give you a golden crown all men will fear. 4

9) The night gathers and now my watch begins. It will not end until my death. (The NW oath) 4

10) The things I do for love. 2-

11) Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you. 6

12) I did tell you not to trust me. 6

15) When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives. 6

16) And now it begins / No, now it ends. 10

18) Fear cuts deeper than swords. 6

19) What do we say to the God of Death? / Not today. 9

20) But they have the soft hearts of women. So long as I am your king, treason shall never go unpunished. Ser Ilyn, bring me his head!! 9

21) Or maybe he'll give me yours. 9

24) A madman sees what he sees. 8

25) I swear to you, sitting a throne is a thousand times harder than winning one 3

26) And I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples and bastards and broken things.3+

27) Oh, my sweet summer child, what do you know of fear? Fear is for the winter, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods. 8

28) In my dreams, I kill him every night. A thousand deaths will still be less than he deserves. 8

29) If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die. 5

1) Can a man still be brave if he's afraid? / That is the only time a man can be brave. 9

3) A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. 8

9) The night gathers and now my watch begins. It will not end until my death. (The NW oath) 4

10) The things I do for love. 3+

11) Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you. 6

15) When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives. 6

20) But they have the soft hearts of women. So long as I am your king, treason shall never go unpunished. Ser Ilyn, bring me his head!! 9

25) I swear to you, sitting a throne is a thousand times harder than winning one 2-

26) And I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples and bastards and broken things.3

27) Oh, my sweet summer child, what do you know of fear? Fear is for the winter, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods. 8

28) In my dreams, I kill him every night. A thousand deaths will still be less than he deserves. 8

29) If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die. 5

10) The things I do for love. 3

25) I swear to you, sitting a throne is a thousand times harder than winning one 1 (-)

26) And I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples and bastards and broken things.3

28) In my dreams, I kill him every night. A thousand deaths will still be less than he deserves. 9 (+)

5) When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. 6+

25) I swear to you, sitting a throne is a thousand times harder than winning one 0

28) In my dreams, I kill him every night. A thousand deaths will still be less than he deserves. 9

5) When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. 6

26) And I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples and bastards and broken things.2 -

27) Oh, my sweet summer child, what do you know of fear? Fear is for the winter, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods. 9 +

28) In my dreams, I kill him every night. A thousand deaths will still be less than he deserves. 9

Jay and me:

9) The night gathers and now my watch begins. It will not end until my death. (The NW oath) 5 +

19) What do we say to the God of Death? / Not today. 10 +

26) And I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples and bastards and broken things - -

27) Oh, my sweet summer child, what do you know of fear? Fear is for the winter, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods. 9

3) A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. +9

8) I will give you a golden crown all men will fear. -3

9) The night gathers and now my watch begins. It will not end until my death. (The NW oath) 5

19) What do we say to the God of Death? / Not today. 10

27) Oh, my sweet summer child, what do you know of fear? Fear is for the winter, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods. 9

3) A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. +9

8) I will give you a golden crown all men will fear.4+

9) The night gathers and now my watch begins. It will not end until my death. (The NW oath) 5

10) The things I do for love. 2-

6) There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man. 8-

8) I will give you a golden crown all men will fear.4

10) The things I do for love. 2

27) Oh, my sweet summer child, what do you know of fear? Fear is for the winter, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods. 10+

2 hours.

2) Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities. 7 -

6) There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man. 8

21) Or maybe he'll give me yours. 10 +

27) Oh, my sweet summer child, what do you know of fear? Fear is for the winter, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods. 10

2) Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities. 7

3) A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. 9

20) But they have the soft hearts of women. So long as I am your king, treason shall never go unpunished. Ser Ilyn, bring me his head!! 10+

21) Or maybe he'll give me yours. 10

27) Oh, my sweet summer child, what do you know of fear? Fear is for the winter, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods. 10

28) In my dreams, I kill him every night. A thousand deaths will still be less than he deserves. 8-

3) A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. 9

10) The things I do for love. 1 (-)

15) When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives. 7 (+)

20) But they have the soft hearts of women. So lond as I am your king, treason shall never go unpunished. Ser Ilyn, bring me his head!! 10

ETA: Well, the score is off... I'll try and fix it, but please stop voting for now.

So, here's the score, according to my calculations:

1) Can a man still be brave… 9

2) Death is so terribly final… 7

3) A mind needs books… 9

5) When you play the game of thrones... 6

6) There is no creature on earth… 9

9) The night gathers and now my watch begins… 5

10) The things I do for love. 1

11) Never forget what you are… 6

15) When the snows fall… 7

19) What do we say to the God of Death? 10

20) But they have the soft hearts of women… 10

27) Oh, my sweet summer child… 11

28) In my dreams, I kill him every night… 8

29) If you would take a man's life… 5

It adds up to 151, because 23) Moon of my life was supposed to die in post #65. Instead it got killed in #74 by Juanvito, so we essentially get one Hurt vote less. If you accept that correction, Juanvito should cast a separate hurt vote (or get an additional one in his next post).

In that case, kill #10 with my bonus hurt

3) A mind needs books… 9

9) The night gathers and now my watch begins… 5

10) The things I do for love. 0

27) Oh, my sweet summer child… 11

3) A mind needs books… 9

7) Stick them with the pointy end. 3 (-)

8) I will give you a golden crown all men will fear.

9) The night gathers and now my watch begins…

27) Oh, my sweet summer child… 12 (+)

Heal 27

Hurt 7

Fixed :)

1) Can a man still be brave… 9 (St. Arya of the Knife left this part out, so i put in the count from #115)

3) A mind needs books… 9

7) Stick them with the pointy end. 2 (-)

8) I will give you a golden crown all men will fear.

9) The night gathers and now my watch begins…

27) Oh, my sweet summer child… 13 (+)

Some scores were left out also, I like it better when we can see the whole quote.

1) Can a man still be brave if he's afraid? / That is the only time a man can be brave. 10 (+)

7) Stick them with the pointy end. 1 (-)

15) When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives. 7

20) But they have the soft hearts of women. So lond as I am your king, treason shall never go unpunished. Ser Ilyn, bring me his head!! 10

27) Oh, my sweet summer child, what do you know of fear? Fear is for the winter, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods. 13

Archived