Tyrion: A Clean Record (almost)

samih

I've been thinking about this and I realized that Tyrion is one of the few characters (maybe the only one) that hasn't made stupid decisions or cruel ones.

Yes, he did kill his father...but a reasonable man would take that chance when he has a father like Tywin.

I think the only cruel act we've seen from Tyrion's part was ordering Bronn to dispose of Symon the singer; and that was after Symon tried to blackmail him.

I see Tyrion as one of the greatest benevolent characters in the series but it seems the odds are always against him.

Why not? Name one evil thing that Tyrion did

I think his lowest point was when he threatened to kill that servant girl in ADWD. Granted, he was in exile and unhappy about that, but it's still no excuse to be mean just for the sake of seeing someone scared of you.

- Armed the mountain clans who are now raping and killing small folk because he wanted revenge against Lysa

- Broke Marillion's fingers because the man embarrased him

- Expressed satisfaction that Masha Heddle was killed. Her only crime was having the bad luck to own the inn he was taken at.

- Gave Joff the Antler Men to keep him occupied. No trial first.

- Repeatedly objectified Shae and even hit her.

- Poisoned his sister

- Threatened to beat and rape his nephew

- Participated in the forced marriage of Sansa Stark

- Killed his father

- Killed Shae

- Raped a sex slave

- At least terrorized another sex slave

- Had a singer killed.

I'm sure I missed a few. And, now that I think about it, other than the above, the man's a real saint.

I think his lowest point was when he threatened to kill that servant girl in ADWD. Granted, he was in exile and unhappy about that, but it's still no excuse to be mean just for the sake of seeing someone scared of you.

True. But that's similar to what I'm stating; you said that's his lowest point. His lowest point is falsely threatening someone (of course he wasn't going to harm her)

True. But that's similar to what I'm stating; you said that's his lowest point. His lowest point is falsely threatening someone (of course he wasn't going to harm her)

Not really. A "benevolent" character wouldn't threaten to kill a servant girl (with so little power of her own) just to make themselves feel better. It's a disturbing thing to do.

There is a great many people on this forum who enjoy explaining (arguing for the existence of) Tyrion's faults. His resume includes the alleged participation in the alleged gang rape of Tysha, marrying Sansa Stark, alleged mental rape of Sansa Stark.

Personally I think the biggest point against him is he tricked Aegon into going to Westeros to die, but then I suppose I only feel sorry for Aegon because he's stupid and Tyrion knows he's stupid and took advantage of it.

:shocked: Ummm...this is Tyrion being needlessly nasty, how again? I seem to recall him being nearly as unhappy with that as Sansa.

He was a participant in using Sansa for her claim. Granted he did not rape her but that doesn't speak all that well of him either. He was unhappy, not disputing that. But, he also objectified her and sought to control her too.

There is a great many people on this forum who enjoy explaining (arguing for the existence of) Tyrion's faults. His resume includes the alleged participation in the alleged gang rape of Tysha, marrying Sansa Stark, alleged mental rape of Sansa Stark.

Alleged? Are you saying that Tysha may not have been gang-raped? Anyway, participation in something like that is a huge fault. The only reason I would say it was "okay" is because he was only thirteen at the time.

He was a participant in using Sansa for her claim. Granted he did not rape her but that doesn't speak all that well of him either. He was unhappy, not disputing that. But, he also objectified her and sought to control her too.

I agree with your points upthread, but objectifying? Even in healthy relationships, a pair of people do this unconsciously. You think a husband never objectified his wife? Or vice versa. How do you get away with sexual attraction without objectification?

Not really. A "benevolent" character wouldn't threaten to kill a servant girl (with so little power of her own) just to make themselves feel better. It's a disturbing thing to do.

He, probably rightly, suspects that she's spying on him for Illyrio. It's not like Illyrio keeps Westerosi speaking bed slaves around for the odd guest who may show up. He doesn't trust anyone there, which is why he keeps that mushroom handy.

:shocked: Ummm...this is Tyrion being needlessly nasty, how again? I seem to recall him being nearly as unhappy with that as Sansa.

He was more upset with the marriage because Sansa wasn't interested in him. He actually seemed happy about being Lord of Winterfell, and even thinks it will get him away from his father. So, yeah he was unhappy with the marriage, but not because of the injustice it was for Sansa (he only protested a bit at the beginning) and more because he thought Sansa should genuinely love him as a husband, but of course she couldn't.

He, probably rightly, suspects that she's spying on him for Illyrio. It's not like Illyrio keeps Westerosi speaking bed slaves around for the odd guest who may show up. He doesn't trust anyone there, which is why he keeps that mushroom handy.

She still doesn't have any power of her own, and it's wrong to frighten her like that. Plus there's no evidence he suspects her. He suspects the washerwoman but that was later on.

Archived