Most desirable city/region to live in Westeros and Essos

Eelridge

Does anyone have the map book that has just been released? They maybe able to shed some more light on whether any extra detail has been revealed

My money would be Myr due to its economy and the fact that it is a Free City

Also, does KL have an equivalent to Chinatown? A foreign culture that inhabits a particular part of the city

Also, does KL have an equivalent to Chinatown? A foreign culture that inhabits a particular part of the city

Westeros is based on medieval Europe not America. There a few sprinklings of Essosi here and there, but not any ghettos to speak of.

I think Oldtown is the most desirable city in Westeros.

Westeros is based on medieval Europe not America. There a few sprinklings of Essosi here and there, but not any ghettos to speak of.

There is a Chinatown in England, France, Spain most European countries older than the US

Braavos, a merchant-principality with social mobility and no slavery, freedom of religion, a wealthy economy, powerful navy, global trade networks, good infrastructure, conveninent seafood stocks, great defences, nice architecture and artworks, and strategic/well-protected location, (the only drawback is the lack of freshwater without piping).

Its like Medieval/Renaissance Venice and modern day Singapore.

Definitely Oldtown..has just as much of a big city feel as King's Landing, but seems more beautiful and a lot cleaner, with heavy emphasis on culture and learning.

Otherwise, not really a city, but Margaery really did make Highgarden sound beautiful when she was trying to sell it to Sansa in ACOK.

Braavos, a merchant-principality with social mobility and no slavery, freedom of religion, a wealthy economy, powerful navy, global trade networks, good infrastructure, conveninent seafood stocks, great defences, nice architecture and artworks, and strategic/well-protected location, (the only drawback is the lack of freshwater without piping).

Its like Medieval/Renaissance Venice and modern day Singapore.

:agree:

Braavos would be my first choice.

Wasnt it mentioned that at a certain time a day, some braavosi pick random fights with people who wear a sword/knife?

And no one would get me near Myr, cant get far enough away from greyscale.

For me it would be somewhere in the Vale i think, Gulltown or Runestone.

Ibben looks interesting to, since the North in Westeros is so fucked up at the moment, id rather go there since im more into cold weather and snow then heat and sand.

Edit: I dont trust the Maesters and i think Oldtown will have some big and bad moments in the future books, so id rather stay away from there to.

Personally, i'd go with Tarth or Oldtown. I hate being away from the coast and Oldtown is a hub of wisdom with beautiful architecture, while Tarth is scenic and IMO has the best weather (Stormlands!)

In the Free Cities, Braavos or Pentos. Braavos is a lively city without being King's Landing-ish, and again, is on the water. The only real drawback of Pentos is the slave culture and the weird prince-sacrificing rituals. It's beautiful though, relatively peaceful and wealthy.

Purely for liveability, i guess the Reach has to be mentioned. Good harvests, nice greenery and such, but overall it seems boring to me.

I like the cold, so I would probably choose a place somewhere in the North. Probably White Harbour. But I think the best city in general to live in is Oldtown. At least that's what I've always thought. I know that a lot of people like Braavos too.

I really like cold weather and snow....so I would give Winterfell and its amazing internal heating a chance :P

Other than that I would pick somewhere in Dorne since girls there are...you know....way open minded :drool:

KL to me is a mix between London and Istambul....the chain in the Bosporus, wildfire seems similar to Greek Fire and I always pictured the Great Sept of Baelor more like the Hagia Sophia or the Blue Mosque rather than a Western gothic cathedral.

Archived