Most desirable city/region to live in Westeros and Essos

Eelridge

Nowhere in Westeros, given that I don't care much for feudal societies. I prefer not being a serf.

The Free Cities sound much better, except for Volantis (I can't stand snobs), with Braavos sticking out as the best. Qarth is also interesting... if I weren't a slave. Nowhere in Ghiscar/Slaver's Bay.

Davos has been around pretty much everywhere and he seems to have a particular fondness for White Harbor.

Clean, crisp fresh air, well ordered, maritime culture and wealthy.

Also not as packed with unwashed humanity as the more crowded cities down south.

And just a short voyage away from Braavos.

I pick White Harbor.

Davos has been around pretty much everywhere and he seems to have a particular fondness for White Harbor.

Clean, crisp fresh air, well ordered, maritime culture and wealthy.

Also not as packed with unwashed humanity as the more crowded cities down south.

And just a short voyage away from Braavos.

I pick White Harbor.

And you gotta love the local cuisine :drool:

Can we choose cities/regions already destroyed?

If so: Valyria (both city and region): greatest and more magnificent city in all History, controls an hegemonic empire, leaded by free citizen; with legendary buildings like their towers.

Also a center of magic and of learned craftmanship like the metalurgy of the valyrian steel.

With (i think, afterall we are in the Lands of the Long summer) a wonderful long summer (yay!) and a landscape with majestic volcanoes and tamed (!) dragons.

Westeros is based on medieval Europe not America. There a few sprinklings of Essosi here and there, but not any ghettos to speak of.

I think Oldtown is the most desirable city in Westeros.

Those Chinatowns didn't exist until the age of imperialism in the late 19th century and the 20th century.

The term Ghetto was first used to describe the Jewish quarter in Venice and became widespread in European continental cities in the early 1500's. This was just a little after Columbus set off for the new world and certainly predates the existence of modern city ghettos in North America.

These communities in Europe existed significantly earlier than this but the first documented use of the term ghetto was around 1515/16.

The first example of separate quarters I recall was in Mongol China but this isn't my area so I'm probably wrong on this one.

ETA Braavos for me!

In Westeros I would pick Oldtown. Its a great city, but not as messy as Kings Landing, altough much older. On Essos I'd favor Braavos or Lys :drunk: . I think some cities have already ethnical separated boroughs. The Braavosi have a harbour for Westerosi and one for themselves. Volantis has a quarter reserved for people of valyrian descent (by the way, could a targ enter this part of the city? ). And we have in Oldtown the only Red Temple in Westeros and that could become the beginning of a essosi community in Oldtown.

In Westeros I would pick Oldtown. Its a great city, but not as messy as Kings Landing, altough much older. On Essos I'd favor Braavos or Lys :drunk: . I think some cities have already ethnical separated boroughs. The Braavosi have a harbour for Westerosi and one for themselves. Volantis has a quarter reserved for people of valyrian descent (by the way, could a targ enter this part of the city? ). And we have in Oldtown the only Red Temple in Westeros and that could become the beginning of a essosi community in Oldtown.

Yes, a Targ could enter and live within the Black Wall - it is reserved for nobles who can trace their descent from Old Valyria.

White Harbor seems very clean and prosper to live

maybe Lannisport.

my favourite castles is Winterfell, it's cold, I know, but I like cold :cheers:

In Essos I would like to live in Lys (a lot of pleasure houses, and seems to be a clean city)

Braavos is to dirty and too many people

White Harbor seems very clean and prosper to live

maybe Lannisport.

my favourite castles is Winterfell, it's cold, I know, but I like cold :cheers:

In Essos I would like to live in Lys (a lot of pleasure houses, and seems to be a clean city)

Braavos is to dirty and too many people

Winterfell!? You will not be my travel agent, no sir.

Winterfell!? You will not be my travel agent, no sir.

It's better than burn in Sunspear, hahaaha

and Winterfell is a strong castle, 200 hundred good men in Winterfell can defeat 10,000 outside

and there's White Harbor, a clean and prosper city in the region, there's the Wall protecting the Realm, and it's really hard to invade the North

Anyone choose KL?

if someone choose KL I would say he/she is out of his/her mind

smelly city, urin, rotten fish, smelly people

I would never lived there

Not to mention it is cited on top of a massive stockpile of napalm...

Having said that, most cities in this type of time period would stink disgustingly.

Archived