Most desirable city/region to live in Westeros and Essos

Eelridge

Davos describes White Harbor as smelling of sea, maybe like a fishwife, Oldtown like a matron, Lannisport as a milkmaid and KL as a old whore. I guess it depends on which do you prefer. Pentos seems warmer and drier then Braavos.

Davos describes White Harbor as smelling of sea, maybe like a fishwife, Oldtown like a matron, Lannisport as a milkmaid and KL as a old whore. I guess it depends on which do you prefer. Pentos seems warmer and drier then Braavos.

As one who grew up near the sea, White Harbor sounds nice right about now...

The term Ghetto was first used to describe the Jewish quarter in Venice and became widespread in European continental cities in the early 1500's. This was just a little after Columbus set off for the new world and certainly predates the existence of modern city ghettos in North America.

These communities in Europe existed significantly earlier than this but the first documented use of the term ghetto was around 1515/16.

The first example of separate quarters I recall was in Mongol China but this isn't my area so I'm probably wrong on this one.

ETA Braavos for me!

This phenomenon has been around almost as long as civilizations have been trading with each other. Most ancient cities had merchant areas where foreigners would collect. As far as permanent residences divided ethnically, as far back as Alexandria in Ptolemaic Egypt you had a Greek quarter and a Jewish quarter.

Those Chinatowns didn't exist until the age of imperialism in the late 19th century and the 20th century.

I think the term the OP meant was "foreign quarter".

There have been foreign quarters in most major cities of ancient/medieval times. The term "Chinatown" was a neologism used to describe a Chinese foreign quarter.

This phenomenon has been around almost as long as civilizations have been trading with each other. Most ancient cities had merchant areas where foreigners would collect. As far as permanent residences divided ethnically, as far back as Alexandria in Ptolemaic Egypt you had a Greek quarter and a Jewish quarter.

I agree but I was specifically addressing this statement:

Westeros is based on medieval Europe not America. There a few sprinklings of Essosi here and there, but not an ghettos to speak of.

Oldtown or Highgarden are at the top of the list. Gultown, or somewhere in the Vale very close to Gultown, would probably be good options also.

In Essos: Braavos is near the top of the list. It would be useful to have more information about certain other Free Cities when making a decision here, however.

Archived