An Interactive Map (I need your help!)

carpiediem

I really enjoyed the fan-made maps I've seen from Tear and serMountainGoat, so I thought I might try to make my own contribution. I started with serMountainGoat's images as base layers, then I added overlays to outline the political regions, show the noble families for individual towns, and trace the paths of major characters. Each of these overlays is controlled by a slider mechanism that allows you to show or hide spoilers depending on how far you've read in the books. Alternatively, you can use the slider to choose how much of the HBO TV show you've watched.

Next, I made all of the town & ruin markers clickable-- they'll take you directly to the appropriate page of the Westeros wiki. I also added some code to parse the URL so that you can link directly to a town or pair of coordinates. These location codes match those used in the wiki, but the coordinates are pretty meaningless. I figured this might be useful to the wiki.

All together, this adds up to quite a lot of information on one map. That's where you all come in. I haven't even finished reading the books once through, so I'm sure I made a few mistakes. There are many portions of the character paths that aren't clearly defined in the books (e.g. Tywin's movements during his battles with the Northmen). It's not obvious when or if towns change hands to new lords during the war. Plus, the TV show makes some significant changes from the books (e.g. they still haven't visited Riverrun). Basically, if you see any part of the map that conflicts with the books or the TV show, I'd appreciate if you'd let me know below this post. Also, if there is some part of the interface that you don't like or a feature that should be added, feel free to suggest those changes as well.

Beyond that, I hope you find the map useful and that it helps you enjoy the books and TV show. It doesn't perfectly match the official map book that was just released, but I'm not going to tempt any copyright lawyers by copying that directly. If other people create a new base image in the future, though, I should be able to update this as well.

By the way, I probably won't start changing the map based on your feedback until I finish ADWD. It shouldn't take too long; just don't worry if I seem to be ignoring your comments.

That's an awesome map!

My mental image of westeros had east and west mixed up. For a long time I just reversed east and west when reading, that was easier than changing my mental image.

I've finally corrected it. Took quite an effort and most of a re-read.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Well done! I've always had a 'thing' for maps (because of extensive travelling when a child), and I can appreciate the work you are doing. :cheers:

edited to add: haven't actually played with it as kitty cat is kneading the keyboard right now, but I have it bookmarked for later.

• 3 months later...

I would like to make an italian version of this awesome map, I am alredy translating the map image in italian

Is it possible to have the source code of your site? I won't remove any credit-copyright, it's just a way to get easily some features such the spoiler control

Thank you for your very good work! :)

This map is extremely useful, but I notice a huge issue with the sigils. Assume all these are same through the books until told otherwise

- The Manderly sigil should be over White Harbor and Ramsgate (North)

- The Glover sigil should over Deepwood Mott when it isn't ruled by the Iron Born (North)

- Stannis flaming heart stag sigil should replace the regular stag sigil of Baratheon and it should be over Dragonstone (Crownlands)

- Brightwater Keep belonged to House Florent until the Battle of Blackwater, not House Tyrell (Reach)

- The Tarth sigil should be over Evanfall Hall (Stormlands)

- The Royce sigil should be over Runestone (Vale)

- The Waxley sigil should be over Wickenden (Vale)

- The Lynderly sigil should be over Snakewood (Vale)

- The Darry sigil should over Darry, until AFFC Jaime IV when Lancel becomes its lord. The become the plowman and lion quartered (Riverlands)

- The Banefort sigil should be over Banefort (Westerlands)

- There should be a question mark over Sow's Horn because House Hogg's sigil has not been described. (Crownlands)

- The Connington sigil should be over Griffen's Roost (Stormlands)

- The Estermont sigil should be over Greenstone (Stormlands)

- The Swann sigil should be ober Stonehelm (Stormlands)

- The Trant sigil should be over Gallowsgrey, the location is not known. (Stormlands)

- The Dondarrion sigil should be over Blackhaven (Stormlands)

- The Wyl sigil should be over Wyl (Dorne)

- The Dalt sigil should be over Lemonwood (Dorne)

- There should be a question mark over High Hermitage that links to "House Dayne of HH" (Dorne)

- The Mullendore sigil should be over Uplands (Reach)

- The Fossoway sigil should be over Cider Hall (Reach)

- The Swyft sigil should be over Cornfield (Westerlands)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

Great interactive map, first of all, well done.

I noticed a slight error with Arya's travel path. In Arya V (19) and VI (26) in Clash of Kings Arya, Gendry, and Hot Pie (and the others for a time) travel north along the west coast of God's Eye, as opposed to the east coast as depicted on the map. By extension the village they run into Gregor in is also on the west coast.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the map, it was fantastic while I was reading to keep track of characters.

I've found a small error in Jaime and Brienne's paths.

On the way south with Cleos, they pass by Maidenpool. However the route on the map has them going straight to Harrenhal.

• 6 months later...

Archived