Who would win? Barristan Selmy vs. Robert Baratheon

Southpaw89

as debated a week ago , Robert hammer was the best weapon for fighting against plate armour , he smashed Rhaegar , anything could have happen against Selmy.

Don't forget every fighter has a punchers chance to win a fight , and being a better swordsman does not translate in being a better fighter.

Selmy was a great jouster too, probably more apt to take down Robert if they were charging each other on horseback.

Selmy might even pull a Bronn and kill his horse - Selmy had honour, but I think he understood the difference between a batlle and a tourney. (Rhaegar had won tourneys, not battles.)

However "even ground, no obstacles" is never going to happen.

On foot, I suspect Robert would be a greater danger. Selmy would know how to deal with a man as strong as that, but a sword against a hammer, it would be a hard thing to deal with. He'd have to try and use his speed to wear Robert down and look for an opening ... but one hit against his shield and it might be in pieces, along with the arm that was holding it.

Robert was a ferocious warrior, but apparently not a dull-headed one like Ser Gregor.

Rhaegar was good, but he isn't a natural like Barristan, Arthur or Jaime are described to be. He didn't even start his training until in his teens or aside from the tourney having been in any battle beforehand if recalled.

Plus Robert didn't get away without harm himself from that fight.

Remember folks, you don't use the types of swords that are common in Westeros to parry your opponent's sword. The blades would get hacked into useless hunks. The shield is the primary weapon on the attack until an openning presents itself when the sword can be used to hack or stab at an exposed joint. (It is a very common myth that medieval style fighting involved the endless clang of sword against sword). This is why the war hammer is a formidable weapon of choice against an armored and shielded swordsman. It becomes a blunt force weapon that can crack ribs, break other bones, and cause a concussion (stunning opponent). It requires a full-on anf relentless attacking style, however. This style can be overcome by a patient opponent with modest agility and stamina. This is why, assuming both men are in their prime, that I'd give the edge to Selmy. He's just too smart to waste energy attacking until he would wear out Robert and injure him enough to force a yield.

Plus Robert didn't get away without harm himself from that fight.

Little is said about the actual events of the battle, being as Robert killing Rhaegar overshadowed everything.

Either Rhaegar's KG protectors failed to stay by his side, or else his going right at Robert was done against their advice.

We do not know what wounded Robert, but given his addiction to danger, he may have already crossed swords with Barristan and bested him before taking on Rhaegar. Or maybe Barristan had something else take him out of action before then. (We know for certain Lewyn Martell was leading the Dornish spears and got killed by Lyn Corbray.)

Perhaps Robert was wounded, and Rhaegar in his overconfidence thought he'd pounce on Robert and finish him. Big mistake to even take him on personally at all, really.

If they are both wearing plate I say robert. A sword sucks against plate, really its hard to kill a man in plate with a sword. Good luck aiming at joints while your opponent is swinging a blunt weapon at your chest.

ETA: In real life swords were more of a secondary weapon, is what I mean to say. And personal skill is very exagerated in these books. In a real battle personal skill doesnt really matter much, its crowded noisy, and confusing. The man with the better equipment will usually win. There is only so much you can do in hand to hand.

If they are both wearing plate I say robert. A sword sucks against plate, really its hard to kill a man in plate with a sword. Good luck aiming at joints while your opponent is swinging a blunt weapon at your chest.

Might play a factor but lets remember Selmy is no dainty waif. Just not quite as big as Robert.

Might play a factor but lets remember Selmy is no dainty waif. Just not quite as big as Robert.

I geuss, selmys best bet would be to drop the sword and wrestle robert to the ground, try to dirk him, going head to head with a hammer is not a good idea.

I geuss, selmys best bet would be to drop the sword and wrestle robert to the ground, try to dirk him, going head to head with a hammer is not a good idea.

Not that i am adept with medival weapons...but i would think a large war hammer would be fairly slow and unweildy.

Archived