Who would win? Barristan Selmy vs. Robert Baratheon

Southpaw89

Not that i am adept with medival weapons...but i would think a large war hammer would be fairly slow and unweildy.

Actually weapons were not heavy at all. They were rather light actually. Most swords would be 2 to 3 pounds. A warhammer would be around the same.

I think that Selmy would win, because he's got crazy skill, but it would be a great and hard fight, because Robert has that brute strength and blood lust.

Feels like we should almost judge this the way that animal show does (can't remember the name, but they would put lions against gorillas and stuff), where they say who would win the majority out of 100, for me I would say that Selmy would win 60 and Robert 40... That's a rough guess though.

Actually weapons were not heavy at all. They were rather light actually. Most swords would be 2 to 3 pounds. A warhammer would be around the same.

You know that but apparently GRRM has a different idea. Ned says he could barely lift Bob's hammer. Lots of unrealistic stuff in the books, but it's fantasy so accuracy takes a back seat.

I think it could follow the gregor-oberyn fight, in that one slip by the more skilled, agile fighter could lead to the more powerful fighter hitting that one, devastating blow.

obviously Selmy wouldnt be overconfident like Martell but all it takes is one mistake.

You know that but apparently GRRM has a different idea. Ned says he could barely lift Bob's hammer. Lots of unrealistic stuff in the books, but it's fantasy so accuracy takes a back seat.

I forgot that little gem of a comment. I geuss you could chalk that up to exaggeration?

For me it's quite simple: If Robert lands a square blow then it's all over. Even if Barristan gets a clean swing at Robert, unless it takes off and ar or his head it's probably not going to stop him. So I'd say the odds are slightly in favor or Robert, even though Barristan is by far the better swordsman and would win if they both had swords.

I see a lot of people saying Barristan is smarter. Why? Robert knew war, Robert knew killing and Robert knew how to win. During his campaign we saw him make good tactical choices with sound reasoning behind them. Ned, Stannis and Jon have all spoken well of him in this sense.

People claim Roberts aggression is bad thing. There is sound reason behind it. His strength and fury are his greatest assets. He used it well.

I personally think it's a toss up, but there is nothing to say Barristan is smarter in a fight. Robert knew war, just not economics or politics

i have noticed a few things on these forums:

1.its ok to kidnap someone as long as you are rhaegar targaryen

2.as long as someone is a swordsman he will prevail against any force in the world,even gods themself would fail against their blades

3.robert baratheon and brandon stark are hated due to their macho appearance and aggressive nature

4.everyone is a secret targ

5.stannis is the real deal (rightfully so)

i have noticed a few things on these forums:

1.its ok to kidnap someone as long as you are rhaegar targaryen

2.as long as someone is a swordsman he will prevail against any force in the world,even gods themself would fail against their blades

3.robert baratheon and brandon stark are hated due to their macho appearance and aggressive nature

4.everyone is a secret targ

5.stannis is the real deal (rightfully so)

You forgot that everyone is a faceless man....and the great other....and a warg.....and a homosexual......and no one who is called a bastard....is actually a bastard.....and anyone who isn't a bastard.....is secretly highborn.

Other then that...i think you hit the main crux :)

Archived