Who would win? Barristan Selmy vs. Robert Baratheon

Southpaw89

Robert wins in my opinion. Sure Barristan is one of the best swordsmen. But the playing field completely changes when he is fighting someone with a different type of weapon. A full armored Robert is one of the epitomes of unstoppable I would think.

Robert wins in my opinion. Sure Barristan is one of the best swordsmen. But the playing field completely changes when he is fighting someone with a different type of weapon. A full armored Robert is one of the epitomes of unstoppable I would think.

True, I admit it's a coin flip.

The Mountain in Full Armor was considered unstoppable as well

What I'm saying is that Barristan would only have to dodge the hammer once and would have a clear shot to pierce Robert's armor. Also you are considering that Barristan has never faced someone that wielded a hammer, I'm sure over his 50+ years of experience hes faced a couple.

Robert mightily swings his mighty hammer... BStan steps to the side, mighty blow mightily misses by a mite.

Robert mightily swings his mighty hammer... BStan steps to the side, mighty blow mightily misses by a mite.

[Repeat N times.]

Robert drops his shield by a millimeter... the end.

[Repeat N times.]

Robert feints with war hammer, anticipates Barristan's evasion, knocks him to the ground, bang bang Robert's iron hammer come down, on his head.

Not enough information to answer question.

Give up now.

So who would win a fight if Manny Pacquio fought Rocky Marciano after he drank 3 beers, Manny wasn't weight drained, and he had brass knuckles but could only wear them on his left hand, but Marciano was wearing athletic shoes, and Pacquio had to wear flip flops?

You can't answer the question, leave it alone...

And personal skill is very exagerated in these books. In a real battle personal skill doesnt really matter much, its crowded noisy, and confusing. The man with the better equipment will usually win. There is only so much you can do in hand to hand.

I disagree, personal skills aren't exaggerated in the books so much as they are exaggerated on these forums and by fans. Most of the fights in the books are actually more or less decided by better equipment, cheap fighting, the element of surprise, and in some cases straight out luck. Bronn vs Egan, Selmy vs Khrazz, Jorah vs Quotho, Victarion vs Ser Serry (that's awkward to say), Brienne vs Rorge, Sandor vs Beric, Jon Snow vs Quorin, even Tyrion vs unnamed knights during the battle of the Green Fork, are all good examples of that.

Robert bigger, stronger and faster thanks to youth. Plus he was pretty unstoppable. Like a Sandor Clegane. I say he'd beat Selmy.

He wouldn't be faster. This is supposedly when both of them are in their prime, not just Robert. If we are going by who would win now, its certainly no contest that its Selmy.

Selmy wins in their prime, Robert's swings with the war hammer would be too slow to even think about touching him. He would be too smart, too quick and too skilled to let anything worth while hit him. Kind of like when we saw him face Khrazz, Khrazz was bigger, faster and stronger but Selmy was just to smart.

He wouldn't be faster. This is supposedly when both of them are in their prime, not just Robert. If we are going by who would win now, its certainly no contest that its Selmy.

Selmy wins in their prime, Robert's swings with the war hammer would be too slow to even think about touching him. He would be too smart, too quick and too skilled to let anything worth while hit him. Kind of like when we saw him face Khrazz, Khrazz was bigger, faster and stronger but Selmy was just to smart.

LoL Selmy is considerably older than Robert. Even at the Trident. Plus Robert has that hammer of his. And Khrazz was not wearing armour.

[Repeat N times.]

Don't forget....

[Robert passes out from exhaustion]

It might go either way. I think Selmy would normally win, though, because he's a little more careful and tactical. But if Selmy had kidnapped Robert's "girlfriend", then one blow from Robert's hammer and Selmy would be in pieces.

I disagree, personal skills aren't exaggerated in the books so much as they are exaggerated on these forums and by fans. Most of the fights in the books are actually more or less decided by better equipment, cheap fighting, the element of surprise, and in some cases straight out luck. Bronn vs Egan, Selmy vs Khrazz, Jorah vs Quotho, Victarion vs Ser Serry (that's awkward to say), Brienne vs Rorge, Sandor vs Beric, Jon Snow vs Quorin, even Tyrion vs unnamed knights during the battle of the Green Fork, are all good examples of that.

I guess, but what about when Jaime cuts down like ten guys at the ww as they try to capture him? Those men were the best of Robb's castle born trained and equipped with the best stuff money can buy. Yet Jaime cuts them down like nothing, he leaves his sword in karstarks head was karstarks not wearing a helmet? How is it possible to cut down so many men in plate just like that?

LoL Selmy is considerably older than Robert. Even at the Trident. Plus Robert has that hammer of his. And Khrazz was not wearing armour.

I don't think you understand, being in their Prime doesn't take us back to one point in time; it is taking both charcters at their peak in life both physical and skillwise and throwing them into a ring to fight each other. I know Barristan is considered older than Robert, Barristan is like 70. That is why the question is about them IN THEIR PRIMES, meaning both are young and fit. Not Robert being young and Barristan being an old man.

I wasn't comparing Robert or his fighting style to Khrazz, I was offering that as evidence of how smart of a fighter that Barristan is even when the other guy is bigger, stronger and faster.

Archived