College Football 2012 VI: The Coaching Carousel and Bowl Prep

Rhom

Am I mistaken in feeling like this Heisman class seems underwhelming compared to recent years, like the best of an ok bunch?

Manziel had a pretty incredible season. I don't feel like the other two candidates really belong there, though.

ETA: My main beef is with Te'o being there. He's being rewarded for Notre Dame's undefeatedness and his "compelling story." There are defensive players every year who have stats and performances comparable to his who don't get invited to the Heisman ceremony. Barner or Marquise Lee should be there instead.

Manziel had a pretty incredible season. I don't feel like the other two candidates really belong there, though.

ETA: My main beef is with Te'o being there. He's being rewarded for Notre Dame's undefeatedness and his "compelling story." There are defensive players every year who have stats and performances comparable to his who don't get invited to the Heisman ceremony. Barner or Marquise Lee should be there instead.

I kind of feel the same way about Te'o too. As for Manziel, he had a great season but he had two losses and didn't play so hot in either of them. I feel like a lot of the wind this season has been sucked out by the Notre Dame story and their 'relevance' once more. I was just wondering if my feelings on that clouded my views on the Heisman candidates. I think part yes, and part no. I still feel like they don't compare to some of their predecessors. But that's me simply feeling and not viewing pure facts. :dunno:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1431907-heisman-candidates-2012-case-for-and-against-each-finalist

I kind of feel the same way about Te'o too. As for Manziel, he had a great season but he had two losses and didn't play so hot in either of them. I feel like a lot of the wind this season has been sucked out by the Notre Dame story and their 'relevance' once more. I was just wondering if my feelings on that clouded my views on the Heisman candidates. I think part yes, and part no. I still feel like they don't compare to some of their predecessors. But that's me simply feeling and not viewing pure facts. :dunno:

http://bleacherrepor...t-each-finalist

Manziel played really well against Florida in the first half, but got shut down in the second half (fwiw, so did every other QB Florida played). Numbers-wise he was still better than any QB facing the UF defense this year, and that was in his first collegiate game.

He did in fact play like crap against LSU with the 3 picks. Still, two losses to top 10 caliber programs isn't bad. Certainly better losses than Klein's awful performance at the hands of Baylor's horrifically bad defense.

On another topic, Tommy Tuberville forsook Texas Tech today for...Cincinnati? I don't think money was a factor. The linked article incorrectly lists Tub's salary at $300K per year (other sources have him listed at $2 million, which makes more sense).

What's especially bothersome about this is that apparently Tuberville again accepted another program's offer without telling his AD or players he was leaving. This is the same thing he did at Ole Miss in '98, after infamously stating two days previously that he would only leave Oxford "in a pine box." Leaving for Auburn was understandable, but his methods left a lot to be desired. Now he does it again and it seems a very odd choice. Cincinnati is in Big East limbo right now and could very well get left out in the cold as the conferences realign.

On another topic, Tommy Tuberville forsook Texas Tech today for...Cincinnati? I don't think money was a factor. The linked article incorrectly lists Tub's salary at $300K per year (other sources have him listed at $2 million, which makes more sense).

What's especially bothersome about this is that apparently Tuberville again accepted another program's offer without telling his AD or players he was leaving. This is the same thing he did at Ole Miss in '98, after infamously stating two days previously that he would only leave Oxford "in a pine box." Leaving for Auburn was understandable, but his methods left a lot to be desired. Now he does it again and it seems a very odd choice. Cincinnati is in Big East limbo right now and could very well get left out in the cold as the conferences realign.

Not that Tuberville is a saint or anything (his agent would float CTT to wherever rumors every offseason to jack up his contract), but the big rumor going around for the last two or three months is that Texas Tech is enamored with Kliff Kingsbury and were looking for a way to get rid of Tuberville so they could make a run at the Texas A&M OC that looks eerily like Ryan Gosling. If that is true then maybe CTT just beat them to the punch.

Not that Tuberville is a saint or anything (his agent would float CTT to wherever rumors every offseason to jack up his contract), but the big rumor going around for the last two or three months is that Texas Tech is enamored with Kliff Kingsbury and were looking for a way to get rid of Tuberville so they could make a run at the Texas A&M OC that looks eerily like Ryan Gosling. If that is true then maybe CTT just beat them to the punch.

It feels a bit early for Kingsbury to sit in the big boy chair... And I'd like to see his offense without the Heisman winner before I dub him a complete offensive übermensch. That said, I was on board with rumors of his consideration for the Kentucky job.

Willie Taggart left WKU for South Florida and rumors in Bowling Green have the Toppers looking at Petrino. That'd be a humongous step down for him, but a rehab has to start somewhere.

Could be.

For what it's worth, I got to meet Tubs at an Ole Miss pre-season Alumni event back in '97 and he was a super nice guy. Actually my favorite Ole Miss coach until Freeze (I've met them all since Brewer). Could have been the salesman act but he pulled it off well, if so.

Bobby Petrino officially announced as WKU coach today. My brother is a chiropractor in Bowling Green... he's hopeful for Petrino as a patient following another Harley accident! :lol:

And San Jose's coach is going to Colorado. The guy did a pretty quick turnaround job at SJSU, but Colorado is really wrecked right now.

Yeah, MacIntyre was rumored for the Kentucky job at one point.

Question for you left coast types... why is Colorado such a dumpster fire? It seems like it should have everything it needs to be successful from a (far) outsider's prospective. It certainly has more history than several schools currently with a higher profile. Are there institutional/political hurdles that have to be overcome?

Bobby Petrino officially announced as WKU coach today. My brother is a chiropractor in Bowling Green... he's hopeful for Petrino as a patient following another Harley accident! :lol:

Interesting he picked WKU over the other available jobs he was recently rumored to be in the running for (Arkansas St and Southern Miss). A year ago I'd have figured him a lock for USM over the other two, but that was before Ellis Jonnson drove that program so deep into the ground they could've played home games in China.

Colorado's recent failures confuse me too. Sometimes a succession of bad coaching hires can do that to a program. I hope McIntyre can get their fortunes turned around.

Football had lost its meaing in Boulder long before either Nebraska or Colorado contemplated leaving the Big 12.

I'd say they suffer from the general problems you see in the West. They share their metro area with an NFL team, and one with a better history of success. The state has huge amounts of turnover as people from other places keep coming in and pricing out the old-timers. The Big 12 only had legs in Texas for a decade or so and now they play in a league where players from Southern California will be guaranteed a trip home to play in front of their friends and family every year. I think the program is ripe for a turnaround and MacIntyre might be the man for it.

Hasn't Colorado been on a downward slide ever since the rape/NCAA sanctions shitstorm? I got the impression that the program got hit pretty bad by that, and then compounded it with two or three mediocre-or-worse coaching hires, and juat continued slipping.

speaking of scandals, recent developments in the case have caused an NYT column suggesting that the McNair case against the NCAA could be a 'downfall of Big Tobacco' esque turning point.

I really hope he doesn't settle.

here's an update on the case: http://sports.yahoo....643--ncaaf.html

Remember, the reason that USC was sanctioned was because there was a disagreement about what year a 3AM phone call took place in. phone records and McNair have the call taking place in one year, a convicted felon said the phone call took place in another year and the NCAA decided the felon was more credible than McNair and since it was plausible McNair could have been informed of Reggie Bush's actions on this phone call had the phone call not happened in the year that the phone records said it happened in: so he was clearly guilty, and so USC was guilty and got hit with the sanctions.

http://sports.yahoo....643--ncaaf.html

I can't decide who's "reaching" lower here... Petrino or WKU. Either way it's clearly a 1 or 2 year setup at best.

I can't decide who's "reaching" lower here... Petrino or WKU. Either way it's clearly a 1 or 2 year setup at best.

A WKU alum told me that Petrino is being paid $850,000 per year and theres a $1.2 million buyout... so they may be able to make $300k on the deal!

A WKU alum told me that Petrino is being paid $850,000 per year and theres a $1.2 million buyout... so they may be able to make $300k on the deal!

That's the truth.

The irony of the situation is that three years ago, WKU interviewed Paul Petrino (now the head coach at Idaho) and offered him the job. He turned it down and they instead hired Taggart.

Has he ever had a Job that 1. He left in a good postion? 2. some hugh crap storm did not happen right before he left? 3. came all of a sudden/surprise the hell out of a lot of people with the team? who didn't know what he was doing.

This will not end well, for anybody.

He might be the only person in the world, that I would wish would run in to a metal pipe, while on a Motorcycle going full speed.

Archived