College Football 2012 VI: The Coaching Carousel and Bowl Prep

Rhom

Za'Darious is a fucking awesome name.

For all of Kentucky's numerous faults when it comes to football... we have always had a knack for recruiting guys with great names! There was Mister Cobble and Qua Huzzie just a couple years ago, now we have Za'Darious! We're on a roll!

There is a recruit coming up named Parrker (with 2 R's) Westphal. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Parrker-Westphal-140094

When I saw that, is that if this kid doesn't make it to the NFL, he's going to be applying for jobs, and people are going to throw his resume in the trash thinking "Guy can't even spell his own name right on a resume."

Sorry you feel that way, but I don't think it is a great accomplishment to sell out half of a stadium for a bowl game, even a minor one, that is a relatively close drive to campus. We'll see if I have to eat those words next week when UCLA plays in the Holiday Bowl.

ETA: Especially on a Saturday. Much, much easier to sell tickets.

Good lord... I go backpacking in SE Asia for football season and I come back to the mindfuck that is Notre Dame ranked #1 and going to the National Championship Game. :shocked:

I wish I could have seen them play just to get an idea of what this team is. I have absolutely no idea how they're going to match up with Alabama but I'm hard pressed to give them a chance. A prepared Saban-led team has to be the toughest team in football these last few years.

I wish I could have seen them play just to get an idea of what this team is. I have absolutely no idea how they're going to match up with Alabama but I'm hard pressed to give them a chance. A prepared Saban-led team has to be the toughest team in football these last few years.

Pretty close to my take. I think I can say this. If I were a coach and could secretly choose an opponent between Oregon, Alabama, Georgia, Kansas State and Notre Dame, ND might well be my first choice. Alabama probably last with Oregon close behind/ahead.

Kstate would be my first choice, probably. Maybe Georgia. Notre Dame's defense is better than any unit for either of those schools- though Notre Dame's offense is the worst of the three.

Three hour drive and you sell a lot of tickets. I'm underwhelmed. I'd kinda hope so, truth be told.

As Trisk pointed out, my post was meant to be at least partially facetious in nature. But yes, I am proud that our fanbase snapped up 2 1/2 times their allotment through the school (and will buy a lot more tickets than that through the bowl itself) for an ESPN-created bowl game that generates zero national buzz and is played in this dump.

Part of my pride also stems from the fact that in the preseason absolutely no one expected this team to be in contention for even a shitty bowl game like this one. So yeah, I'm excited. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what college football is all about.

So, Sagarin has released his 2012 conference rankings. I don't think anything in it is particularly surprising:

1. Big 12

2. SEC

3. Pac-12

4. Big 10

5. 1-A Independents

6. Big East

7. ACC (ouch)

8. WAC

9. MWC

10. Sunbelt

11. Mid-American (never heard of it even though its 1-A)

13. CUSA (ouch again since a 1-AA conference, Missouri Valley, is ahead of them)

This pretty much fits with what I've thought. I think it's clear to most observers that the Big 12 is strongest top to bottom, the SEC has the overall best teams but is extremely top-heavy, and the PAC12 has a few very good teams alongside some average teams, and some bad teams.

An interesting note before defenders of the SEC or PAC-12 are offended by his (or my) take, the top three conferences are all within about a three point range for the Central Mean (82.27, 81.16, and 79.07), after which it begins to drop off more sharply - the Big 10 is four points worse than the PAC-12 and in turn five points better than the Big East.

So, Sagarin has released his 2012 conference rankings. I don't think anything in it is particularly surprising:

1. Big 12

2. SEC

3. Pac-12

4. Big 10

5. 1-A Independents

6. Big East

7. ACC (ouch)

8. WAC

9. MWC

10. Sunbelt

11. Mid-American (never heard of it even though its 1-A)

13. CUSA (ouch again since a 1-AA conference, Missouri Valley, is ahead of them)

This pretty much fits with what I've thought. I think it's clear to most observers that the Big 12 is strongest top to bottom, the SEC has the overall best teams but is extremely top-heavy, and the PAC12 has a few very good teams alongside some average teams, and some bad teams.

An interesting note before defenders of the SEC or PAC-12 are offended by his (or my) take, the top three conferences are all within about a three point range for the Central Mean (82.27, 81.16, and 79.07), after which it begins to drop off more sharply - the Big 10 is four points worse than the PAC-12 and in turn five points better than the Big East.

You've never heard of the MAC? Really?

Bowl season will be fun to take note of as it goes on. As I pointed out a while back, one could accuse the Big 12 of really not playing anyone out of league this year. But that doesn't really prove anything.

I'm terrified of Baylor beating UCLA in the Holiday Bowl, Texas beating Oregon State in the Alamo Bowl, and K-State beating Oregon in the Fiesta. The bragging rights would be unbearable.

I am almost positive that this will play out. KState probably has the best coaching in the country, I would never bet against them when they have had a month to prepare. Texas and Mac Brown almost always wins their bowl games. I would have to favor UCLA over Baylor, but if it turns into a shoot out, Baylor has a strong chance.

I hope the bowls games get better soon besides Zona and Nevada the rest of not been that good. Washington Boise can be a good game. Washington has been a little bipolar this year been when on they are very good then the look horrible and lose to Washington State. I was only able to catch a couple Boise games and they did not look that good.

UCLA's team is already in town for Thursday's game. Baylor has purchased a billboard on the freeway that runs past the stadium with a giant RGIII in his Baylor green. There are still seats available - $95 (plus $16 per convenience fee) for 15 yard line seats through Ticketmaster.

I will be there.

Alamo bowl will be a tough venue for OSU facing a loud almost-home crowd. UT definitely has better fan support than UCLA has, so Baylor won't face nearly as difficult environment, outdoors vs. indoors, UCLA being the #2 team in their own city, etc. I like the Beavers on a truly neutral site, but this isn't it. K.State scares me for the reasons Phillip says, but Oregon is just the better team and I think that will come through.

UCLA's team is already in town for Thursday's game. Baylor has purchased a billboard on the freeway that runs past the stadium with a giant RGIII in his Baylor green. There are still seats available - $95 (plus $16 per convenience fee) for 15 yard line seats through Ticketmaster.

I will be there.

Alamo bowl will be a tough venue for OSU facing a loud almost-home crowd. UT definitely has better fan support than UCLA has, so Baylor won't face nearly as difficult environment, outdoors vs. indoors, UCLA being the #2 team in their own city, etc. I like the Beavers on a truly neutral site, but this isn't it. K.State scares me for the reasons Phillip says, but Oregon is just the better team and I think that will come through.

If you have any kind of a layover in Dallas, PM me, and I will treat you to lunch...

Haha I didnt make the connection between Mid American Conference and MAC. MAC isn't a conference I think about much.

Trisk - Well, I agree there weren't many tough OOC games for the b12 (although OU did play Notre Dame), but on the other hand it's a 9-game round robin, which didn't really leave any team unscathed. It's hard to argue with 9/10 teams being bowl eligible.

I favor Texas and Baylor to win but I think KState will lose - though I think it'll be a great game. I don't know whether OU can beat A&M, and I don't really know whether TCU or MSU will win (thatll be a boring-ass game though, I predict).

I think the B12 will look good in bowls this year, but probably will lose the biggest game.

Archived