Small questions, because we can't get enough of them

Angalin

Why did they say that Jaime was the heir to Casterly Rock in aGoT when the Kingsguard can't hold lands or titles? I know Tywin still wished it at the time...

I think they expected Tywin to bend the rules a little, either get Jaime out of the Kingsguard entirely or allow him to inherit in some way.

I think they expected Tywin to bend the rules a little, either get Jaime out of the Kingsguard entirely or allow him to inherit in some way.

I agree and I think by releasing Barristan Selmy from his vows the Lannisters were trying to set the precedent to eventually let Jaime be removed and become Lord of Casterly Rock. Theres just no way Tywin was going to let Tyrion inherit the Rock. It would also be very unlike Tywin to not have a plan in case something happened.

The wiki is not canon

Maybe not, but I've yet to find it mistaken about anything. From the first book then:

The war had raged for close to a year. Lords great and small had flocked to Robert’s banners; others had remained loyal to Targaryen. The mighty Lannisters of Casterly Rock, the Wardens of the West, had remained aloof from the struggle, ignoring calls to arms from both rebels and royalists. Aerys Targaryen must have thought that his gods had answered his prayers when Lord Tywin Lannister appeared before the gates of King’s Landing with an army twelve thousand strong, professing loyalty. So the mad king had ordered his last mad act. He had opened his city to the lions at the gate.

Tywin was feeling petulant about being slighted by Aerys. After decades of serving Aerys. You can bet he would have rushed to Rhaegar's side if the battle had gone the other way. Anyways this is smaller than even for this thread.

I don't doubt Tywin would have joined the Targaryens if the battle of the trident had gone the other way. He was playing it safe to make sure his family came out on top. Not being loyal to the Targaryens. At all.

I agree and I think by releasing Barristan Selmy from his vows the Lannisters were trying to set the precedent to eventually let Jaime be removed and become Lord of Casterly Rock.

Wasn't naming Jaime Lord Commander one of the reasons that Cersei removed Barristan from the kinsguard? I don't think they would make him the Lord Commander and then just bend the rules to remove him.

Why did they say that Jaime was the heir to Casterly Rock in aGoT when the Kingsguard can't hold lands or titles? I know Tywin still wished it at the time...

We know that GRRM wrote about 6 chapters, and then went back and wrote the backstory of Westeros. IMO this is from one of them, and is just a continuity error that couldn't be fixed, without changing the entire chapter. IIRC GRRM said that this scene is one of his fav's.

Wasn't naming Jaime Lord Commander one of the reasons that Cersei removed Barristan from the kinsguard? I don't think they would make him the Lord Commander and then just bend the rules to remove him.

Im not saying they were going to immediately have Jaime removed. Just that down the road when his career as a knight ends he could move on.

are the murders in winterfell/the hooded man related to the deaths of Theon's men in Winterfell way back in ACOK? It is implied Farlen did it back then, but the manner of the deaths just seem too similar to be completely unrelated right?

are the murders in winterfell/the hooded man related to the deaths of Theon's men in Winterfell way back in ACOK? It is implied Farlen did it back then, but the manner of the deaths just seem too similar to be completely unrelated right?

The murders, except Little Walder, were clearly explained to be the work of Mance and the spearwives.

Theon's men were murdered by Ramsay with Theon's knowledge, becuase they knew that the two boys weren't Bran and Rickon, and he had Farlen be the scapegoat for it.

I was wondering a bit about the workings of the religion of the Red God. Do the priests and priestesses all answer to some governing body? I'm confused because Mel seems to be at total odds with all the others who are pro-Dany. Did she just go rogue or is she under orders still or is it a free-for-all for any devotees out there to do whatever they want as long as they're into burning people and talking everybody to death about Rhllor?

I was wondering a bit about the workings of the religion of the Red God. Do the priests and priestesses all answer to some governing body? I'm confused because Mel seems to be at total odds with all the others who are pro-Dany. Did she just go rogue or is she under orders still or is it a free-for-all for any devotees out there to do whatever they want as long as they're into burning people and talking everybody to death about Rhllor?

GRRM said Mel is going her won independent of any red temple.

Archived