Maester Aemon Calls Tyrion A Giant Come Among Us...Why?

Dolorous Nedd

He's not judging Tyrion by the physical is all. Maester Aemon values intelligence, scholarship and cunning, and Tyrion is a giant in these areas. It's the same sort of thing that happens at Winterfell, when Jon Snow sees Tyrion's shadow and it's massive.

Also, he's likely buttering Tyrion up so he'll convince his family to send the Night's Watch more men.

He's not judging Tyrion by the physical is all. Maester Aemon values intelligence, scholarship and cunning, and Tyrion is a giant in these areas. It's the same sort of thing that happens at Winterfell, when Jon Snow sees Tyrion's shadow and it's massive.

Also, he's likely buttering Tyrion up so he'll convince his family to send the Night's Watch more men.

I don't buy the last part. As far as I can tell Aemon pretty much called everything as he "saw" it.

I don't buy the last part. As far as I can tell Aemon pretty much called everything as he "saw" it.

Oh I don't think Aemon is lying, I think he's sincere, but I also believe he though that he could do some good for the Night's Watch at the same time.

Moqorro tell Tyrion he is a small man with a big shadow. I wonder if there is a connection between Aemon calling Tyrion a giant and Moqorro saying he is a small man with a big shadow.

And then the thing early in the series where Jon notices Tyrion casting a huge shadow. Interesting.

Tyrion's casting a big shadow resembles his father's long shadow that Genna mentions to Jaime books later... another point in common between the two ^_^

I think the thread as potential, does anyone remember every time a giant is mentioned in the books?

As far as I recall, the term giant is anything but positive (but that's because I think that Aemon isn't that nice of a person, nor that his is a compliment): beyond the wall it symbolizes decline and extinction, beside power, like the Last of the Giants song.

Then we have Bran's vision (although it should talk about something completely different), the Titan of Braavos and Baelish's coat of arms and the infamous "my giant of Lannister" line.

Unless you remind me of other examples, I don't see anyone of these as positive, especially since the only one who could be related to the Wall and Maester Aemon is the giant from the song.

Or it could be an hint of his dangerousness, I don't think that Aemon is speaking of Tyrion's love for books or knowledge!

Edit: spelling

It is not meant as a compliment as the exchange between the two shows. Giants can be destructive and threatening. But Tyrion is a giant - politically. His potential to dominate the political scene as heir and eventual Lord of Casterly Rock is huge, but that is a truth that Tyrion is shy of and suppresses. It is truth that will bring him into conflict with his father...the consequences of which I think we are all familiar with ;)

Archived