Which element of ASOIAF is the most over-analysed?

Wagshell

I've been on here about a week, but have been amazed at how much people over-analyse every small detail of the books for clues and hidden meanings. I think GRRM would learn a lot about his own books if he ever came here.

Which things you reckon people have wrung far more meaning from than ever was intended?

It's difficult to say which things have been over-analyzed. We will only really know in hindsight after the books are publishes.

More generally though, what do you expect to find on a forum dedicated to ASOIAF? There are years between books, of course people are going to pore over every small detail. What else would be all do?

I don't mean that unkindly, to be sure.

It's difficult to say which things have been over-analyzed. We will only really know in hindsight after the books are publishes.

More generally though, what do you expect to find on a forum dedicated to ASOIAF? There are years between books, of course people are going to pore over every small detail. What else would be all do?

I don't mean that unkindly, to be sure.

That's ok, note that I didn't complain about it or say there was anything wrong with it. I just commented on it being the forum's main characteristic. If people weren't keen to analyse at length, as you say, they wouldn't come here. Some theories are now being discredited on here for being too obvious and that it'd almost be lazy to follow them through (R+L=J), but the fact is that it hasn't even occurred to a huge proportion of readers of ASOIAF. I know this because I saw the series discussed on a different forum and the idea was new to nearly everybody there who'd read it.

That's ok, note that I didn't complain about it or say there was anything wrong with it. I just commented on it being the forum's main characteristic. If people weren't keen to analyse at length, as you say, they wouldn't come here. Some theories are now being discredited on here for being too obvious and that it'd almost be lazy to follow them through (R+L=J), but the fact is that it hasn't even occurred to a huge proportion of readers of ASOIAF. I know this because I saw the series discussed on a different forum and the idea was new to nearly everybody there who'd read it.

True, but this is the oldest and almost pseudo-official forum, so you would expect even more depth here.

R+L=J without any doubt! To the point that I now hope Jon's some random tavern wench's kid just to be contrary!

Otherwise it's probably an even split between Rethinking Sansa x 28 and Heresy x 36. Though personally, I find the Heresy threads a far broader and more engaging topic so I don't mind the [over]analysis, and there's some exceedingly clever stuff on there.

Honourable mentions which are not too far from overanalysis: Hooded man in Winterfell, what happened to Benjen Stark and when will we get to see Howland Reed - which mind you may all have the same answer in the end :drunk:

Obviously the one that is currently on its 35th discussion thread with no signs of stopping, which is somewhat bizzare given how truly settled that issue is (especially given the comments coming from the cast and crew of the television show in recent years).

One word: Sansa.

3. Yeah. In the beginning I was happy people were "Rethinking Sansa," but now, at thread 15... I think she's been rethought already, guys. Yeesh. (I actually feel like there should be individual character boards for this sort of thing, as they're very popular and would clean things up.)

2. WARG EVERTHING!

1. Everyone is in disguise. Not just Targs: Starks, Westerlings, Varys, Aegon. You name it!

Also threads about how Catelyn singlehandedly started the war.

Lol, the Cat threads are particularly good because the people who claim she started the war single handedly repeatedly get shut down with facts.

I haven't been to the heresy threads, but I love the Sansa threads. Some great writers in there. And they analyze other characters, too!

I don't think things are analysed any more than they should be. Part of what makes ASOIAF exciting is that you never know if GRRM is handing you the answers or if he's throwing you a red herring.

Archived