Which element of ASOIAF is the most over-analysed?

Wagshell

R+L=J. What's left to say?

I wish Barristan Selmy had never said Aerys II fancied Joanna. OMG.

The Heresy threads. Yeah IDK. I can't follow them.

Rethinking Sansa XXVII. OK I love Sansa, she's a great character. I do agree that there's much more going on with her than most readers give her credit for. Hell, I've even popped in the threads. But again, what's left to say? I just can't overanalyze every word and action from a character. But hey, if the participants still have stuff to talk about, then who am I to say it's too much.

R+L=J without any doubt! To the point that I now hope Jon's some random tavern wench's kid just to be contrary!

Otherwise it's probably an even split between Rethinking Sansa x 28 and Heresy x 36. Though personally, I find the Heresy threads a far broader and more engaging topic so I don't mind the [over]analysis, and there's some exceedingly clever stuff on there.

Honourable mentions which are not too far from overanalysis: Hooded man in Winterfell, what happened to Benjen Stark and when will we get to see Howland Reed - which mind you may all have the same answer in the end :drunk:

So you mean the answer to the Hooded Man will be DeadNever, Benjen is SchizophrenicTheonNever, and Howland is SchizophrenicTheonDead :D

In all seriousness, I don't believe the Hooded Man is Theon Durden, but whatever.

I tend to agree with R+L in one aspect. That people think it will matter so damn much. I mean, after his last chapter in ADWD, really? Where he is either dead/near death experience/ will be resurected as a fire or ice wight/ warg into wolf/whatever, and then IF he finds out about R+L he will be all like, "Oh, so those are my biological parents? That changes the WHOLE DAMN THING!"

Lol, we're over-analyzing our over-analysis.

Just not sure I see the point. I tend to agree with PatrickStormborn. People get different things out of the books and enjoy the elements they enjoy whether thats the idea of power or character development or R+L=J or whatever. New evidence comes to light or new theories or new members. So, after awhile everything old is new again. I get less value at out some threads than I do others but none are over-analysed or over-rated or whatever term people use.

Besides, Martin said he deliberately puts in quite a bit to his books and if we wonder if something is a bit of symbolism or foreshadowing, there is probably something there. He's also commented on the need for re-reads. I think he wants them picked apart.

Lol, we're over-analyzing our over-analysis.

If you don't mind my asking, are you Irish?

Now that I've posted, I guess I have to contribute to the topic at hand. Um... I haven't viewed then Heresy threads, but I don't really think any topic has been over-analysed. Secret Targs kind of get annoying, but it's pretty much based on assumption without any analysis..

Just not sure I see the point. I tend to agree with PatrickStormborn. People get different things out of the books and enjoy the elements they enjoy whether thats the idea of power or character development or R+L=J or whatever. New evidence comes to light or new theories or new members. So, after awhile everything old is new again. I get less value at out some threads than I do others but none are over-analysed or over-rated or whatever term people use.

Besides, Martin said he deliberately puts in quite a bit to his books and if we wonder if something is a bit of symbolism or foreshadowing, there is probably something there. He's also commented on the need for re-reads. I think he wants them picked apart.

He said in an hour long interview that what 1 person in a 1000 would have picked up with hints, now a much higher proportion can because of these forums, and it adds a predictability element to the reading. I don't think he likes it in particular. He doesn't mind, but he avoids the forums so that it does not bias his writing in order to keep some element of 'surprise'.

I've been on here about a week, but have been amazed at how much people over-analyse every small detail of the books for clues and hidden meanings. I think GRRM would learn a lot about his own books if he ever came here.

Which things you reckon people have wrung far more meaning from than ever was intended?

Most things are over-analysed / over-speculated.

It's only natural - given the nature of fans on the internet and a long waiting period for real material.

But if I were to pick one category, it would be relationships. Seriously, folks, the Battle of the Lepanto didn't have this many ships.

this! i think he puts out certain information just to keep the discussions flowing. i think he loves that people are so obsessed interested in his characters and story.

He said in an hour long interview that what 1 person in a 1000 would have picked up with hints, now a much higher proportion can because of these forums, and it adds a predictability element to the reading. I don't think he likes it in particular. He doesn't mind, but he avoids the forums so that it does not bias his writing in order to keep some element of 'surprise'.

I'm familiar with the interview you are talking about. He's aware of forums, tumblr, and other web sites that bring fans together to discuss the books. I've always picked up that he loves how much his fan loves these characters even though some reactions surprise him at times. He knows how fascinated with are with the mysteries of the books. Everything I've seen and read from him confirms that he also loves the high level of engagement from his fans. Not at all the same thing as him hating that we talk on the internet.

And none of the above, whether he likes forums such as this or stays off them or not, doesn't change that these are dense books filled with complex questions (some with no single or right answer), symoblism. historical parallels, and so much more. Martin has talked about the idea of the human heart in conflict quite a bit and ultimately that is what these books are about, I think. How could people not respond to that, even in if the exact nature of the response changes from person to person?

Archived