Which mysteries would you rather REMAIN unsolved?

georgiatargaryen

There are a lot of threads analysing the various mysteries that as of yet have no firm explanation in the books.

I'd like to know which of these mysteries (or even unseen places) you would like to remain in the shadows?

I'll start:

1) The Knight Of The Laughing Tree. I have my own opinion as to the knight's identity but I hope that this is one mystery the reader is left to decide upon.

2) Asshai. I think it's been confirmed that we won't get to see Asshai and I for one am happy! This way it remains mysterious and far-off, as it does to many of the series' characters.

ETA (08/02/13): Friendly warning. There are lots of you who are only posting with "I want everything solved" and variants. That's not the point of this thread so please post your opinions elsewhere so this doesn't stray too far off topic.

I third the Asshai opinion. And this kind of goes with the rest of the world that hasn't been explored much.

I don't really care who Coldhands is, so I wouldn't mind either way if he's revealed to be someone we already have knowledge on (the NK, for example).

I have a feeling that I will be disappointed by Howland Reed when he's introduced, so I half hope he's not in the next couple books all that much. But I feel like he has to be.

I'm actually okay with not finding out the specifics of what happened regarding the Doom of Valyria.

Agreed. Another example of a place being a mystery to the characters and therefore is all the better for remaining a mystery to the reader.

Also I think unless GRRM has a big, plot-affecting return planned for the Hound, I'd quite like it if we were never sure what actually happened to him.

I'm actually okay with not finding out the specifics of what happened regarding the Doom of Valyria.

I do want to hear more about Asshai though even though we won't actually go there.

Seconded.

I also wouldn't mind not knowing why every ship that visits the Smoking Sea and the ruins of Valyria never returns.

Some things are better left unsolved to add the magic and mystery of things.

Also I think unless GRRM has a big, plot-affecting return planned for the Hound, I'd quite like it if we were never sure what actually happened to him.

Blasphemy! ;-)

I want all of the mysteries revealed, but I do hope Maggy the Frog's prophesy is nothing more than a figment of Cersei's paranoid mind. Mainly because I don't want harm to come to Tommen and Myrcella. Though, a valonqar would be pretty cool.

Really where was that written I cant believe I missed it

Gendry describes a man coming to pay for his apprenticeship who fits the description of Varys in one of his disguises.

Varys also stated in ACoK that he was looking after all of Robert's bastards.

Asshai

The Doom of Valyria -- Conflicted: I want to know more about Valyria but not the Doom. But then again I DO want to know about the Doom.

The Great Other's name -- the Man in Black of the story (The Stand's version, NOT Lost).

The Others -- give us something but not everything. Perhaps their motives but not their origins or maybe their origins but not their motives.

Patchface -- all I want is to know how he dies and to see it happen.

Archived