Stuff That's Confirmed/Hinted at in aWoIaF App, v.2

The original thread was approaching lockdown and had kind of wandered. So I'm starting v.2. Below is a compilation of new and/or confirmed information, compiled and organized by Dr. Pepper and Butterbumps!

Anatomy of the App: It’s worth mentioning that there’s a standard format where info is presented in 2 different ways. At the top of each entry is a “boiler plate” summary section that lists “quick facts” like “Place of birth,” Place of death” and “Aliases,” and the like.

Below that is a full text description of the character. Some things are stated declaratively. Other statements seem more questionable, presented with modifications like “It is rumoured,” or “He claims,” that might suggest this part of the entry is more open to interpretation still.

A word on “Places of death.”

The app gives "places of death" for Jon Snow, Sandor Clegane and Aegon. While we do think the real Aegon is literally dead, we don't believe Sandor or Jon are. We think this could be an instance of "sleight of speech," such that these men are figuratively dead-- (i.e. Sandor is no longer the Hound). In the case of Jon, we know he's been legitimized, and I still think he's in a coma. If he has a revelation in the coma about his parentage or that will surfaces in an actionable way, then technically speaking, Jon Snow is dead — Jon (fill in the blank) will wake. So we don't think this confirms a literal resurrection will happen.

Robb’s Will and Jon’s de-bastardization

Robb legitimized Jon and named him his heir in the will. Along the way, he concludes that he must make sure Winterfell has an heir should anything happen to him, and over Catelyn's objections legitimizes Jon Snow and names him his heir. He signs the decree before witnesses, then sends Galbart Glover and Maege Mormont to carry the word north.

IS Jon Dead?

Castle Black is listed as Jon's place of death in the “quick facts” section, but none of the entries confirm that he’s dead in the actual text.

Regarding Marsh, it looks like it places responsibility for Jon's stabbing on him and his conspirators (so, no possession).

"It's at Castle Black that Lord Commander Jon Snow allows the wildlings to pass through the Wall, and it is also the place where he is stabbed repeatedly by men of the Night's Watch"

It should also be noted that as Jon is Robb’s legitimate heir via the will, technically, he’s no longer “Jon Snow” so this doesn’t necessarily point conclusively to Jon’s literal death.

The Pink Letter and Mance’s capture

Ramsay is named as the letter-writer, but "he claims" is used, leaving an opening for the letter being a lie. As for Mance, the wording is, "Ramsay tells Jon he captured Mance," not, "Ramsay captured Mance."

The app is not phrased in such a way that it precludes the possibility that Ramsay wrote the letter under duress by Mance.

Jon’s parentage

The app lists “Westeros” as Jon’s “place of birth.”

"But when Eddard returns to the North, he is accompanied by a wet nurse and a baby THAT HE CLAIMS is his bastard son, and he installs the child in the castle before Catelyn arrives with his legitimate son."

"When Cat questions him concerning Ashara Dayne, he tells her never to speak of the matter again, merely saying that Jon is of his own blood."

MANCE IS NOT @&^#@&^#!T RHAEGAR (CAPS LOCK)

MANCE IS NOT RHAEGAR. He is the child of wildings (so the story Qhorin told is correct).

Dalla and Val are also wildlings (there was speculation somewhere that they could have been picked up by Mance south of the Wall, but this counters that theory).

Lyanna’s abduction

It was an "irritation" to Robert when Rhaegar crowned Lyanna QOLAB. I had to LOL! Robert probably cursed him with every name in the book.

"She was betrothed to Lord Robert Baratheon after her brother Eddard brought Robert's suit to Winterfell."

Gerold Hightower was sent by Aerys to retrieve Rhaegar, but was ordered by Rhaegar to stay and keep guard over Lyanna with Arthur Dayne and Oswell Whent.

Rhaegar died with Lyanna's name on his lips

"[After Harrenhall] Rhaegar abducted Lyanna with the aid of Arthur Dayne and Oswell Whent."

So now we know that Dayne and Whent were accomplices in Lyanna’s “abduction.”

Bran + Jojen Paste

"Eating a paste of weirwood seeds, Bran slips his skin and pushes into the roots of the weirwood." Note, it says weirwood seeds, not "weirwood seeds and Jojen."

Jojen's been spending his time in the caves growing "more sullen and depressed, often climbing to the entrance of the cavern to stare out at the forest beyond for hours on end."

Rickard Stark

Rickard's talks about how he is ambitious and wants to get Winterfell into realm affairs and the wording "using his children to create alliances with other houses,"

Betrothed Lyanna to Robert after Robert asked Ned to go to Winterfell and ask.

Lannister

Tywin's view of births of children: He smiles when the twins are born and it gave him joy.

He blames his "overweening pride" as the reason he believes the gods cursed him with Tyrion.

Myrcella survives the Gerold Dayne attack.

Darkstar

“Gerold Dayne is a beautiful man in his late twenties”

Darkstar and Arianne had sex

The Daynes + Ashara’s death

"...Eddard delivers Dawn, the sword of the Daynes, to Ser Arthur's sister, Ashara. Shortly afterward she leaps to her death from the Palestone Sword. Then Eddard brings his sister's body home to Winterfell."

Barristan:"If he had won the tourney (Harrenhal], he would have crowned [Ashara] his queen of love and beauty, and from then on he wonders if his life might have unfolded differently. But instead, Ashara is rumoured to have become Ned's lover; she kills herself shortly after her daughter dies stillborn."

Varys

"A portly, bald eunuch of Lysene origin, Varys CLAIMS that he started his life as a member of a travelling folly. One day in Myr, a man visits the folly after a performance, and the next day Varys is sold to him. The man castrates Varys and throws his manhood into the flames as part of a magical rite; Varys will later CLAIM a hatred of all magic, stemming from this incident."

However, after his castration he does take to the streets. Illyrio is described as an "impoverished sellsword," so it is clear that they are equal partners.

Varys also sent Jorah word of Dany's poisoner-- this was in the show, not the books, but this is now confirmed. Varys supported Dany's "assassination" but had no intention of her actually dying; he did get word to Jorah.

Varys is genuinely "shocked" when Ned is executed. (I told you all it wasn't Varys behind this one, lol).

Sansa

How Sandor meets Sansa Stark at Winterfell and is infatuated....really, that early she grows on him? I didn't think so.

Lots of Sandor/Sansa stuff: http://asoiaf.wester...v/page__st__280

Sansa is in fact currently engaged to Harry the Heir "requiring only Harry's approval of Alayne."

Sandor was given a "place of death." BUT, he's what the entry says of the matter:

"Arya leaves him to die alone in the woods instead. The Elder Brother of the Quiet ISle finds Clegane and ministers to him. The Elder Brother later reports to Brienne that the Hound is no more and that he left his helm to mark the place of his passing."

Littlefinger/Lysa/Jon

"Lysa had secretly proved fertile following her affair with Petyr Baelish, so Lord Jon agreed to the match, though his pride likely suffered at taking a spoiled woman as his bride."

"Jon did not know that Petyr had been Lysa's lover, just that his wife wanted her childhood companion close."

Lysa Tully gave LF her maidenhead on the night LF got drunk after learning that Cat was to marry Brandon. The second time they sleep together is when Lysa gets pregnant during LF's recuperation after the duel. Lysa "nearly dies" from the moon tea Hoster gave her.

It is written plain as day that Lysa begged Jon Arryn to appoint LF to the job at customs as well as the fact that Lysa beseeched her husband a second time to bring LF to KL.

”Lysa's breaking point was when Jon decided to send Sweet robin to Dragonstone to foster.” This was all the reason she needed to poison her husband.

Marrillion is dead, having jumped from his sky cell.

Is Jeyne Westerling Pregnant

"Innocent of her mother's plot, Jeyne regularly takes a posset her mother gives her after the marriage, which Sybell claims will promote fertility but in fact prevents her from conceiving."

Brienne’s death?

"But given the choice of the sword or the noose, Brienne finds herself unable to agree to kill Jaime." So the hanging, without ADWD spoilers, is pretty much sidestepped.

No “place of death” is listed.

With ADWD spoilers, it says she was hanged, (funnily enough, her last word is "unclear", even though I'm pretty sure it was confirmed to be "sword"). Doesn't shed any light on her motivations in leading Jaime away, either.

Is Aegon Real?

Aegon is referred to with caveats of "it seems that ..." and "it appears that ...".

every damn thing about that kid's cover story is loaded with "it appears that" and "so-and-so claims."

"And these rumors [that Aegon may have survived] appear correct after Tyrion falls in with Aegon's company."

"It seems that Varys and Illyrio conspired to have Aegon Targaryen spirited away ..."

"Connington identifies Young Griff as Aegon ..." (which doesn't matter worth dragon poo if Connington himself is incorrect)

Melisandre is a glorified conman

Melisandre: When Stannis marches on Deepwood Motte, Melisandre remains behind with some of the Queen's Men. Among her followers is Rattleshirt, the wildling reaver. Through her magic she is able to make Rattleshirt swifter and more powerful. ...

It later mentions how Rattleshirt was actually a glamoured Mance.

Mel wants to wake via burning Edric are apparently from the Citadel: "[she wants to sacrifice Edric] so that she can use the sacrifice to raise one of the stone dragons of the Citadel to serve Stannis." wtf?(Ran says typo on Citadel)

ALSO, another "I told you so" (lololol, sorry I can't resist):

Mel DID screw with Ghost: "Later, speaking to Jon, she calls Ghost to her and somehow momentarily interferes with Jon's connection to the direwolf, so that Ghost does not respond to Jon or come at his command."

There is NO question that Stannis' offer to Jon was contingent on his burning the Weirwoods at Winterfell (AND that Mel's behind the wildlings coming through- not Stannis):

"At her suggestion, Stannis allows the wilidings to pass through the wall..." Then "Melisandre attempts to convince Jon Snow to accept Stannis' offer, legitimizing him and granting him Winterfell if he burns the castle's ancient godswood."

It is also stated that Mel's objectives are highly Jon-centric, and wants him close:

"Knowing Jon is somehow essential to the struggle ahead, Mel is determined to win his trust." (!)

I think this is interesting too, as Mel's vision is neatly summarized in a less cryptic way:

"Yet, while her power seems far greater near the Wall than it ever did in Asshai, she still finds it hard to see Stannis in the fires after he has departed. When she looks for him, all she sees is snow [yes- lowercase-- BUT...]. Instead, it is Jon's Snow's face that keeps appearing, as do hundreds of skulls. She also sees towers by the sea pulled down by a black tide, great winged shadows flying through curtains of flame, and a wooden-face corpse of a boy with a wolf's face whom she blieves to be servants of the Great Other, the eternal enemy of R'hllor." What I thought was strange is that Bran is described here as a corpse, though I wonder if it's a typo, and meant to say a "wooden corpse" and a "boy with a wolf's head." (Ran says typo)

Misc

Lemore is said to be in her "middle years." Ashara Dayne would be in her mid-30s, tops.

All it says on Benjen is, "He never returns.

Loras' injury seems like a caveat, "going with the flow" based on verbal information up to this point. Loras and Renly were in love.

Allegedly Renly never consummated marriage with Marg.

Olenna poisoned Joffrey.

Rickon is on Skagos.

Skagos, "they're said to be" cannibals. Read: Not really cannibals

Bloodraven is the three-eyed crow.

Jaqen:"A mysterious foreigner claiming to be from the Free City of Lorath...

He then magically changes before her eyes, taking on the appearance, voice, and manner of someone else entirely."

Aliases: Alchemist, Pate

This is interesting: "Jaqen survives Amory Lorch's attack on Yoren's gathering of recruits thanks to Arya Stark, whom he immediately recognizes."

Euron. In several Ironborn entries, it seems like there is emphasis on whether Euron had actually gone to Valyria. The fact that the Reader doesn't believe Euron story is brought up a few times.

Quaithe:"A sorceress claiming to be from Asshai ..."

"Quaithe's purposes are mysterious ..."

"Daenerys takes this (Quaithe's go east to go west chat) to mean ..."

Regarding the long list of warnings that comes later, the only three it mentions as explicitly coming true are the pale mare, the lion and the sun's son. But whereas the "sun's son" explicitly "refers" to Quentyn, the lion only "appears to refer" to Tyrion. I think Tyrion is the lion, but it's funny that the wording for that one is more ambiguous. Could mean nothing.

Nothing new on Alleras-- just describes him as a boy, but both this and Sarella's point out their respective Summer Islander heritage, and confirms that Sarella is not in Dorne, but "playing her games." But I personally say that there is no question it's the same person.

Galbart Glover: "The unwed Master of Deepwood Motte rules with aid from his brother and heir, Robett."

"On his march back to the north by way of the Twins, Robb sends Galbart to take one of Lord Mallister's longships into the Neck, in hopes of contacting the crannogmen and coordinating an attack on the ironmen who hold Moat Cailin. He has not been heard from since.

Bonifer Hasty was Rhaella's admirer.

Blackfish:

... Stubborn and strong willed, he argues frequently with his elder brother - especially over the matter of marriage. Though Lord Hoster has made several attempts to force him to wed, Brynden repeatedly refuses. During one such argument, Hoster calls him the balck goat of the Tully flock. From this and the trout on the Tully arms, brynden derives his personal sigil and byname, the Blackfish."..

Legitimacy of app

"Get the only official A Song of Ice and Fire/A Game of Thrones app from George R.R. Martin."

"A World of Ice and Fire is the first official app guide to George R.R. Martin's bestselling cycle."

"I can attest to the fact that he personally worked on this project, because I sat and took notes as we went over hundreds of questions on random Ice and Fire arcana. No, it didn't delay Winds of Winter. I made him do it while he ate lunch. Yes, he complains when I make him work during lunch."

http://grrm.livejour...com/301556.html

Is Jeyne Westerling Pregnant

"Innocent of her mother's plot, Jeyne regularly takes a posset her mother gives her after the marriage, which Sybell claims will promote fertility but in fact prevents her from conceiving."

i'm ashamed to say i didn't notice this before i started cheering that jeyne was not pregnant but this clearly says claims. i think that means we're still not sure about robb jr., right?

i'm ashamed to say i didn't notice this before i started cheering that jeyne was not pregnant but this clearly says claims. i think that means we're still not sure about robb jr., right?

Nah, I think what's being "claimed" here is that it promotes fertility, but then the wording declares that the stuff Sybell is giving her actually prevents fertility.

But the "claims" is about the fertility potion, not the contraceptive. I'm pretty gung-ho about Jeyne being switched (which I still believe, regardless of whether she's pregnant), but I have to admit that the pregnancy aspect at least took a big hit.

But the "claims" is about the fertility potion, not the contraceptive. I'm pretty gung-ho about Jeyne being switched (which I still believe, regardless of whether she's pregnant), but I have to admit that the pregnancy aspect at least took a big hit.

yes, i read it too fast. there does still seem to be something to cat and jaime seeing different women i wonder how this will be significant.

anyway, thank you apple martini, butterbumps and any others that worked on this. it's been amazing fun!!!!!!!

OK, I'm looking at Melisandre's vision thing again (because I hadn't read it before; that's Butters) and ...

... does it make it seem like she sees the skulls around Jon in conjunction with seeing him when she asks to see Azor Ahai? Like, it's not like she asks to see Azor Ahai and sees Jon, and then separately sees skulls around Jon in a separate vision.

Anyone have anything to make of that?

OK, I'm looking at Melisandre's vision thing again (because I hadn't read it before; that's Butters) and ...

... does it make it seem like she sees the skulls around Jon in conjunction with seeing him when she asks to see Azor Ahai? Like, it's not like she asks to see Azor Ahai and sees Jon, and then separately sees skulls around Jon in a separate vision.

Anyone have anything to make of that?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. In the app the fact that she asked to see AA isn't mentioned. It's framed in such a way that she's trying to see Stannis, but an image of Stannis is obfuscated by snow. Instead, Jon's face surrounded by skulls keeps appearing. Are you asking whether we can tie this back to AA, or whether it reveals anything about Jon as AA?

lol, you know my views on Jon and AA. I don't think the app really tells us anything from this. The book is pretty explicit about the fact that Mel was looking for Stannis, but called him AA.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. In the app the fact that she asked to see AA isn't mentioned. It's framed in such a way that she's trying to see Stannis, but an image of Stannis is obfuscated by snow. Instead, Jon's face surrounded by skulls keeps appearing. Are you asking whether we can tie this back to AA, or whether it reveals anything about Jon as AA?

lol, you know my views on Jon and AA. I don't think the app really tells us anything from this. The book is pretty explicit about the fact that Mel was looking for Stannis, but called him AA.

Yeah, I worded it weirdly.

OK, I was under the impression that she saw the skulls around Jon in a separate, discrete vision. The way the book's worded, it's like she asks to see the Red God's servant/champion/whatever (which I interpret to mean, "show me Azor Ahai," which follows that she thinks she's asking to see Stannis, because she thinks he's Azor Ahai), and she only see "Snow," as in Jon. A lot of us pro-one-prophecy peeps (:P) take this as obtuse evidence that Jon is AA, because she "asks to see AA" (or whom she thinks is AA) but sees Jon.

So I thought it was TWO visions:

1. Skulls around Jon.

2. "Show me AA oh hai Jon."

But the way the app blurb seems worded, it's like she saw the skulls around Jon during the AA vision. At least that's how I interpret it, but I may be misreading.

OK, I was under the impression that she saw the skulls around Jon in a separate, discrete vision. The way the book's worded, it's like she asks to see the Red God's servant/champion/whatever (which I interpret to mean, "show me Azor Ahai," which follows that she thinks she's asking to see Stannis, because she thinks he's Azor Ahai), and she only see "Snow," as in Jon. A lot of us pro-one-prophecy peeps ( :P) take this as obtuse evidence that Jon is AA, because she "asks to see AA" (or whom she thinks is AA) but sees Jon.

1. Skulls around Jon.

But the way the app blurb seems worded, it's like she saw the skulls around Jon during the AA vision. At least that's how I interpret it, but I may be misreading.

lol, yes, I know you lot of insufferables about this. Is there where I'm supposed to become an insufferable jerk, and point out that it wouldn't be the first time she asked for AA and saw something that wasn't AA? (dragonstone->Stannis->Jon->?)

"Jaqen:"A mysterious foreigner claiming to be from the Free City of Lorath...He then magically changes before her eyes, taking on the appearance, voice, and manner of someone else entirely.

This is interesting: "Jaqen survives Amory Lorch's attack on Yoren's gathering of recruits thanks to Arya Stark, whom he immediately recognizes."

Interesting stuff about Jaqen: First it confirms that he's the alchemist. And if he recognizes Arya it means he already knew her, Syrio? (and I wanted to convince myself that Syrio is dead...)

It also confirm that Rickon is actually in Skagos, not that they were many doubt but is good to have an official confirmation

lol, yes, I know you lot of insufferables about this. Is there where I'm supposed to become an insufferable jerk, and point out that it wouldn't be the first time she asked for AA and saw something that wasn't AA? (dragonstone->Stannis->Jon->?)

This is where I turn into a wet blanket beverage-benamed Hermione, and suggest that she saw Dragonstone and Stannis because Stannis is ultimately the one who would lead her to Jon. Or: She saw the means, but wrongly interpreted it as the end. B)

I lurve you.

"Jaqen:"A mysterious foreigner claiming to be from the Free City of Lorath...

He then magically changes before her eyes, taking on the appearance, voice, and manner of someone else entirely."

This is interesting: "Jaqen survives Amory Lorch's attack on Yoren's gathering of recruits thanks to Arya Stark, whom he immediately recognizes.""

Interesting stuff about Jaqen: First it confirms that he's the alchemist. And if he recognizes Arya it means he already knew her, Syrio? (and I wanted to convince myself that Syrio is dead...)

It also confirm that Rickon is actually in Skagos, not that they were many doubt but is good to have an official confirmation

Holy weird HTML, Batman. :P

Rickon being on Skagos is mentioned in the OP.

OK, I was under the impression that she saw the skulls around Jon in a separate, discrete vision. The way the book's worded, it's like she asks to see the Red God's servant/champion/whatever (which I interpret to mean, "show me Azor Ahai," which follows that she thinks she's asking to see Stannis, because she thinks he's Azor Ahai), and she only see "Snow," as in Jon. A lot of us pro-one-prophecy peeps ( :P) take this as obtuse evidence that Jon is AA, because she "asks to see AA" (or whom she thinks is AA) but sees Jon.

1. Skulls around Jon.

She sees Jon one time at the end of all her visions.

To clarify though she does say again, so she's seen him in at least one other vision.

This is where I turn into a wet blanket beverage-benamed Hermione, and suggest that she saw Dragonstone and Stannis because Stannis is ultimately the one who would lead her to Jon. Or: She saw the means, but wrongly interpreted it as the end. B)

I lurve you.

Oh lord, And here's where I tell you

that she's now seeing Jon because Dany's "mount to love" is obviously Ghost, who will lead her to Jon, at which point Mel's visions will start revealing Dany as the true AA, and after the magnificent trio of Dany, Jon, and Tyrion defeat the Others from dragonback (with Ghost obviously in a side car next to Jon) the three settle into a polygamous relationship and the realm enjoys 3 thousand years of good fortune because the only people capable of ruling Westeros are Targaryens (which Dany, Tyrion and Jon all clearly are) and it finally puts to rest the issue of how awesome dragonz are for saving the day.

That, or I simply think that her vision of Jon will lead to someone/ something else. The man isn't an agent of fire.

Wanna talk about Quaithe for a moment. The app explicitly states that Quentyn was the sun's son but uses a caveat when mentioning Tyrion being the lion. Is this because Tyrion hasn't yet met Dany? Also, what's the rest of the sentence, "Dany takes this to mean...."?

Archived