Stuff That's Confirmed/Hinted at in aWoIaF App, v.2

"The red priestess closed her eyes and said a prayer, then opened them once more to face the hearthfire. One more time. She had to be certain. Many a priest and priestess before her had been brought down by false visions, by seeing what they wished to see instead of what the Lord of Light had sent."

I dunno, but the One more time, and the generally frustrated tone she has during her chapter has always made me believe that her visions have been hijacked by Jon Snow. I get the sense that whatever she has been asking for in her visions have somehow come back to him. Stannis, Azor Ahai, Grey Girl on Horse, she gets little glimpses and then BAM, Jon Snow. Perhaps she's finally taking the hint. :dunno:

"The red priestess closed her eyes and said a prayer, then opened them once more to face the hearthfire. One more time. She had to be certain. Many a priest and priestess before her had been brought down by false visions, by seeing what they wished to see instead of what the Lord of Light had sent."

I dunno, but the One more time, and the generally frustrated tone she has during her chapter has always made me believe that her visions have been hijacked by Jon Snow. I get the sense that whatever she has been asking for in her visions have somehow come back to him. Stannis, Azor Ahai, Grey Girl on Horse, she gets little glimpses and then BAM, Jon Snow. Perhaps she's finally taking the hint. :dunno:

Yes. Oh Mel.

Oh lord, And here's where I tell you

that she's now seeing Jon because Dany's "mount to love" is obviously Ghost, who will lead her to Jon, at which point Mel's visions will start revealing Dany as the true AA, and after the magnificent trio of Dany, Jon, and Tyrion defeat the Others from dragonback (with Ghost obviously in a side car next to Jon) the three settle into a polygamous relationship and the realm enjoys 3 thousand years of good fortune because the only people capable of ruling Westeros are Targaryens (which Dany, Tyrion and Jon all clearly are) and it finally puts to rest the issue of how awesome dragonz are for saving the day.

That, or I simply think that her vision of Jon will lead to someone/ something else. The man isn't an agent of fire.

I lol'd at the spoiler tag. As for "agent of fire," I'm not sure that the red priests thinking that Azor Ahai is an agent of fire is the same as him (or her) actually being an agent of fire ...

Wanna talk about Quaithe for a moment. The app explicitly states that Quentyn was the sun's son but uses a caveat when mentioning Tyrion being the lion. Is this because Tyrion hasn't yet met Dany? Also, what's the rest of the sentence, "Dany takes this to mean...."?

Dunno about Tyrion — I think it's an odd way to word it, seeing as it almost has to be him.

As for "Dany takes this to mean ..."

... Butters, can you handle this one? The app keeps freezing on me and I keep having to reinstall it. Third time now. :bang:

ETA: OK, I reinstalled it (I hope it gets fixed in an update ...).

The wording is, "Dany takes this [go east to go west] to mean that Quaithe wishes her to go to Asshai. Questioning Quaithe as to what she will find in Asshai that she does not have in Qarth, Quaithe informs her, 'Truth.'"

I'm looking at Meereen now, and, uh, the sewers thing is described as being Brown Ben Plumm's brainchild ("... defeated by a strategum of Brown Ben Plumm, who once served as a sellsword in Meereen"). I might need to go back and look at that part of the book, because I'm pretty sure it gets brought up a lot to back up claims of Dany's tactical ability.

ETA:

h/t Summer is Ending

Honestly I'm not sure the vision of Jon Snow is all that supportive of him being AA. The skulls around him makes it seems as if R'hllor was just trying to warn her about the plot against him

She asks to see AA and she gets Jon. I don't know what else to say.

Dunno about Tyrion — I think it's an odd way to word it, seeing as it almost has to be him.

As for "Dany takes this to mean ..."

... Butters, can you handle this one? The app keeps freezing on me and I keep having to reinstall it. Third time now. :bang:

huh, that's odd. Ok, let's see. First part:

"Quaithe's purposes are mysterious, but she provides Dany cryptic counsel. She informs Dany that: 'to go north, you must journey south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward you must go back, and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow.' Dany takes this to mean that Quaithe wishes her to go to Asshai. Questioning Quaithe as to what she will find in Asshai that she does not have in Qarth, Quaithe informs her, 'truth.'"

I'm one who kind of questions Quaithe's benevolence to Dany, so I always viewed this a bit suspiciously. I don't think it's telling us anything we don't already know. Quaithe gives Dany a cryptic message; Dany interprets it as instruction to journey east. Quaithe confirms that this is her intention (to instruct Dany east) in her answer to Dany.

If you're asking what we can discern of Quaithe's motives, it would seem she is actually trying to get Dany to come east for some reason (lord only knows what "truth" needs to be found there). Why I question Quaithe's motives is because it seems like she's just trying to keep Dany from going in the direction of Westeros as well as from the North.

Either the woman is some sort of fairy godmother to Dany, who genuinely wants the best for her, and is looking out for anyone who wants to use Dany for their own purposes. Or she's a huge troll. I tend to think she might be the latter. She explicits tells Dany not to go West and North, and cautions her against that laundry list of men on their way to take her to Westeros. Yes, granted, she ought not trust these guys since they mean to use her, but still. It's odd.

As a juicy non-app tidbit, when Dany later repeats this "vision" of going east to go north, she reverses it, saying "To go east I might go west." I personally like that reversal as suggestion that she'll actually end up in Essos after she "goes north and west."

I don't know what to make of the "At least three of them appear to come true......the lion appears to refer to Tyrion reaching Meereen."

Is Mel always shown what she wants to see, or what R'hllor thinks is important for her to see? Correct me if I'm wrong but she used to get Stannis when she asked this question and no one here thinks AA is Stannis.

IMO R'hllor is treating her like an operative on his behalf. If he wanted her to get to AA, why not just show Jon Snow the first time she asked the question and skip the whole Stannis red herring altogether? Convincing a fake AA to go fight next to the real one just as the Others are about to invade strikes me as a huge blunder...

Is Mel always shown what she wants to see, or what R'hllor thinks is important for her to see? Correct me if I'm wrong but she used to get Stannis when she asked this question and no one here thinks AA is Stannis.

IMO R'hllor is treating her like an operative on his behalf. If he wanted her to get to AA, why not just show Jon Snow the first time she asked the question and skip the whole Stannis red herring altogether? Convincing a fake AA to go fight next to the real one just as the Others are about to invade strikes me as a huge blunder...

I think her visions are first of Dragonstone actually. Then she assumes it has to be Stannis. Does she ever actually see Stannis personally in the flames when she asks for AA?

I've already explained why I think she saw Stannis — Stannis is who led her to Jon. We also don't know what "parameters" there were for her seeing Stannis. For all we know, she said something like, "Lead me to Azor Ahai," saw Stannis (because he would lead her to Jon), and misinterpreted it. Without knowing how she framed her questioning, you can't say for sure why she saw Stannis and Dragonstone at that particular time. Myself, I'm just guessing too.

As for wanting vs. needing to see, she wants to see Stannis, but sees Jon.

I'm looking at Meereen now, and, uh, the sewers thing is described as being Brown Ben Plumm's brainchild ("... defeated by a strategum of Brown Ben Plumm, who once served as a sellsword in Meereen"). I might need to go back and look at that part of the book, because I'm pretty sure it gets brought up a lot to back up claims of Dany's tactical ability.

ETA:

h/t Summer is Ending

I added some more on there but will add it here as well. Mainly that Dany was against the idea at first and only used it as a way to hopefully get rid of Barristan and Mormont.

speak at once, but Dany raised her hand for silence. “These sewers do not sound promising.” Grey Worm would lead his Unsullied down the sewers if she commanded it, she knew; her bloodriders would do no less. But none of them was suited to the task. The Dothraki were horsemen, and the strength of the Unsullied was their discipline on the battlefield. Can I send men to die in the dark on such a slender hope? “I must think on this some more. Return to your duties.”

“To hell, to serve King Robert.” Dany felt hot tears on her cheeks. Drogon screamed, lashing his tail back and forth. “The Others can have you both.” Go, go away forever, both of you, the next time I see your faces I’ll have your traitors’ heads off. She could not say the words, though. They betrayed me. But they saved me. But they lied. “You go . . .” My bear, my fierce strong bear, what will I do without him? And the old man, my brother’s friend. “You go . . . go . . .”

Where? And then she knew.

She had missed his voice so much, but she had to be stern. “Be quiet. I will tell you when to speak.” She stood. “When I sent you down into the sewers, part of me hoped I’d seen the last of you. It seemed a fitting end for liars, to drown in slavers’ filth. I thought the gods would deal with you, but instead you returned to me. My gallant knights of Westeros, an informer and a turncloak. My brother would have hanged you both.” Viserys would have, anyway. She did not know what Rhaegar would have done. “I will admit you helped win me this city . . .”

She also only sent twenty men with them.

Ser Jorah, Ser Barristan, Strong Belwas, and twenty brave fools slipped beneath the brown water and up the brick tunnel, a mixed force of sellswords, Unsullied, and freedmen. Dany had told them to choose only men who had no families . . . and preferably no sense of smell.

I don't know what to make of the "At least three of them appear to come true......the lion appears to refer to Tyrion reaching Meereen."

well that's the most succinct way to put it. Right now, Tyrion appears like he'll contribute to the Daenerys plotline somehow. But has yet to link up with her the way he and we expected them to meet. Probably no hidden secondary lions in the east.

I think R'hllor knows how awful Mel is at reading his fire pix messages so instead of explaining the whole plan he is giving her the IKEA guide to finding AA.

I also find it hilarious that such a heated topic as "is Syrio still alive?!" has now been reinvigorated by the new Jaqen information. Makes you wonder what else is going on there.

And if Quaithe isn't Shiera Seastar then it is probably Marwyn on drag night...

So I caved and got the App. There goes my life for the next...ever.

Anyway, saw this bit in Tyrion's bio:

Despite rumours of the fetid waters being filled with the poison of greyscale, Tyrion is unaffected.

Not "appears to be," which would have been my expectation.

Yeah, I didn't really get this, either. What else could it be?

More confirmation (this was confirmed in Arya's ADWD POVs so it's kind of in the "Duh" category, but I occasionally see people arguing about this):

[Dareon] is subsequently killed in an alleyway and robbed of his boots by Arya Stark, who sees him as an oathbreaker

Nothing useful on Tyrek Lannister:

He disappears during the great riot in King's Landing and has not yet been found.

It would be useful to do a list of fan theories--beyond the ones people have been looking at--and see whether there are any we can discount or confirm.

As someone else has mentioned of Lemore, she's described as follows:

A handsome, brown-haired septa in her middle years...

Coupled with the mention of Ashara "leaping to her death," this seems to rule out the Lemore=Ashara theory. (I can't think of who else it might be...anyone I can think of is too old.)

There's a mention in Shireen's bio of Val's reaction to her greyscale:

Wildlings such as Val shun the girl since they believe that greyscale--which they call the grey death--can never be cured and will eventually awaken and infect others.

I mean, we knew this, of course, but its inclusion is interesting. It doesn't single out Val for reacting to the girl, it says "Wildlings such as Val."

I know there was discussion on this on the last thread, but the Loras Tyrell bit seems to confirm that he's dying, as it states the follows:

...Ser Loras is gravely wounded in the process and is left near death after being doused in boiling oil.

The Joffrey bio also confirms that Tyrion was correct about Joffrey being behind the attempt on Bran's life...which we all figured, I know, but it's still confirmation.

So I caved and got the App. There goes my life for the next...ever.

Anyway, saw this bit in Tyrion's bio:

Not "appears to be," which would have been my expectation.

Since Targ's are immune to disease this may be the silver bullet in proving the Tyrion is a secret Targ theory....

Since Targ's are immune to disease this may be the silver bullet in proving the Tyrion is a secret Targ theory....

I don't think Targs are immune to disease... Valarr and Matarys Targaryen died during the Great Spring Sickness, like many lesser nobles and smallfolk.

Targs are not immune from disease. They've died from pox and the plague and suffered from mental illness and cradle sickness and whatever else. Dany sure as shit isn't healthy in her last chapter, either.

I know there was discussion on this on the last thread, but the Loras Tyrell bit seems to confirm that he's dying, as it states the follows:

I'm still iffy on the Loras thing — I think this is a "based on current information" thing.

is the app only available for Iphone? I've been trying to find it on my phone and have been unsuccessful.

It's only in the Mac App store, as far as I know. It's not available for Android.

Archived