Stuff That's Confirmed/Hinted at in aWoIaF App, v.2

Is there anything debunking that 'great winged serpent' seen in Bran's wolf dream as a dragon escaping Winterfell's siege?

Also Blood Raven as the Three Eyed Crow that you mentioned in the first page. I was told that Three Eyed Crow was missing from Blood Ravens aliases. Are you saying it confirms the Tree Man is Blood Raven, or it actually says Blood Raven is the Three Eyed Crow?

I was also surprised by the confirmation that Littlefinger and Lysa had an ongoing affair, although it's not clear when it started:

By the time of Lord Arryn's death (....) However, he has secretly entered into an affair with Lysa. When she discovers hat Lord Jon intends to send her son Robert to Dragonstone...

I'm still iffy on the Loras thing — I think this is a "based on current information" thing.

I've learned to be skeptical of injuries/deaths for prominent characters we don't "see" happen in the POVs, so yeah, grain of salt. The phrasing seems conspicuous, though. It could have been "News arrives that etc. etc." We'll see.

Just got this from Genna Lannister's bio:

[Tywin] refuses to speak with her for half a year when she tells him that Tyrion is the child who most resembles him.

That's a very interesting paraphrase of "Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you," at least in the context of the "Jaime is a secret Targ" theory.

Speaking of secret Targs, though, from Joanna Lannister's bio:

According to Ser Barristan Selmy, Aerys Targaryen was quite taken with Joanna in his youth. At her marriage, [blah blah lord's right, taking liberties, blah blah]
In later years, Tywin's troubled relationship with Tyrion leads him to tell him that he wished he could prove Tyrion was not his son, suggesting that he is uncertain of Tyrion's paternity.

(Anything I bold is my bolding, not the text, sorry.)

Nothing of any use in Gerion Lannister's bio, which states that he was "presumed lost at sea." No confirmation either on the fate of Beth Cassel, other than her being carried off to the Dreadfort.

Since Targ's are immune to disease this may be the silver bullet in proving the Tyrion is a secret Targ theory....

Targs are not immune to disease. A bunch of them (Daeron II, Prince Baelor's children) died during the Great Spring Sickness, for example. Dany also got the pale mare at the end of ADWD.

I should have included my :ack: face - that was tongue in cheek.

:lol: It's hard to tell sarcasm on internet.

Again, because I would really like to know: Any info on the ages of the Greyjoy brothers (Balon, Euron, Victarion and Aeron) and Balon's older sons Rodrik and Maron? I'm curious, and I can't get the app.

Again, because I would really like to know: Any info on the ages of the Greyjoy brothers (Balon, Euron, Victarion and Aeron) and Balon's older sons Rodrik and Maron? I'm curious, and I can't get the app.

Nothing much we didn't already know, I'm afraid. And while it's mentioned that it's convenient for Euron to show up right after Balon dies, the app doesn't pin the death on him. This might be one of those "figure it out for yourselves" things.

Nothing much we didn't already know, I'm afraid. And while it's mentioned that it's convenient for Euron to show up right after Balon dies, the app doesn't pin the death on him. This might be one of those "figure it out for yourselves" things.

Alright, thanks! I think we might get more info on that particular matter later in the story... I do think it was Euron the one who ordered Balon's murder.

As for the ages, I had calculated the minimum ages they could be but I wanted to know if there was anything official :)

We get confirmation that Tywin/Joanna was a love match. (The last time GRRM was asked about it, he couldn't remember.)

No clarification as to whether Izembaro is a who, a what, or a where.

Grain of salt and all, Quentyn Martell's death seems confirmed: "Quentyn dies after three days of agony." (I only mention this because of the persistent fan theories as to Quentyn becoming the Tattered Prince, or something.)

Interestingly, there's no mention in the paraphrase of Maggy the Frog's prophecy in Cersei's bio of Cersei being replaced by a younger, more beautiful queen, but it does state that she'll outlive all her children. (Admittedly, that's the common interpretation, but many have interpreted Myrcella's "shroud" to be a veil that will shroud her scar, or similar.)

We get confirmation that Tywin/Joanna was a love match. (The last time GRRM was asked about it, he couldn't remember.)

Yes!

No clarification as to whether Izembaro is a who, a what, or a where.

Can someone please remind me what this is, exactly?

Grain of salt and all, Quentyn Martell's death seems confirmed: "Quentyn dies after three days of agony." (I only mention this because of the persistent fan theories as to Quentyn becoming the Tattered Prince, or something.)

Oh god, those. Those were always crackpot.

Interestingly, there's no mention in the paraphrase of Maggy the Frog's prophecy in Cersei's bio of Cersei being replaced by a younger, more beautiful queen, but it does state that she'll outlive all her children. (Admittedly, that's the common interpretation, but many have interpreted Myrcella's "shroud" to be a veil that will shroud her scar, or similar.)

Actually, this could potentially be a big one — Tommen is a popular valonqar candidate, and he can't do that if he's dead before Cersei dies. It also confirms that the Lannister kids are doomed. Kind of sad, actually.

No hints as to who was behind Mandon Moore's attempt on Tyrion's life.

Apparently Jon/Lysa and Ned/Cat was a double wedding? Was that in the books? Awkward.

The paragraph in Ned's bio about the baby "he claims is his bastard son" is revealing. I won't quote the whole thing, but it sets out the believed candidates (Ashara, Wylla, the fisherman's daughter), in a way that suggests to me none of these are true. No confirmations here, but it seems...suggestive of R+L.

Can someone please remind me what this is, exactly?

Izembaro is the place where or the person to whom Arya will be sent to continue her training.

Oh god, those. Those were always crackpot.

Well, I'm hoping all these confirmations will reduce a lot of the crackpottery (crackpotting?) on the boards that goes on.

Actually, this could potentially be a big one — Tommen is a popular valonqar candidate, and he can't do that if he's dead before Cersei dies. It also confirms that the Lannister kids are doomed. Kind of sad, actually.

Yup. I always assumed this, but again, it's better to have confirmation.

Izembaro is the place where or the person to whom Arya will be sent to continue her training.

OK, I vaguely remember that now. I don't do many Arya rereads.

Well, I'm hoping all these confirmations will reduce a lot of the crackpottery (crackpotting?) on the boards that goes on.

I hope so too.

Yup. I always assumed this, but again, it's better to have confirmation.

Yeah, agreed. That's always how I read it.

I seriously started to consider buying an iphone or ipad just to be able to download the app. Such a nerd. Does the app thing work on just regular macbooks? Because I have one of those.

Anyway, bit of commentary.

Jaqen: Don't think this is too mysterious or opens doors for Syrio being Jaqen. Jaqen recognizes Arya after the Amory Lorch attack. Remember, Arya was yelling out Winterfell during the fighting. I'm presuming (though could possibly be wrong) that Jaqen and crew saw or heard about Ned's beheading. I'm sure there were several around them at the time who were talking about it. Think it's likely someone would have mentioned Sansa standing up there and lack of mention of the second daughter would have proved intriguing for someone like Jaqen. Combine several incidents and Arya yelling out Winterfell, doesn't take a rocket scientist or a disguised Syrio to figure it out.

Melisandre: I'm kinda getting confused here. Does she actually control what she sees? Is her request what makes visions appear? Is it like ordering off a menu, where sometimes it doesn't come out how you wanted? Now that I think a bit about her chapter and read some of the app stuff, I am really doubting how much control she has over the whole process. It's more looking like visions just happen and she puts it down to her own powers.

Loras: I'm totally bummed that my fleshed out theory regarding Loras, Dragonstone and the Bastard of Nightsong has been pretty much debunked. I want to twist this and say that we can't be sure, but I can't in good faith considering the language used. I can't very well be a wet blanket to other crackpot theories (like Quentyn being alive or Mance being Rhaegar) if I refuse to acknowledge when the app is explicit about Loras. Fucking bummer. My night is ruined.

Winter's Knight, the Melara thing is interesting. It mentions that Melara drowns in a well and that Cersei remembers hearing her scream. So not really a confirmation and not really a denial.

I don't know about the bastards. I'd have to reread.

Interesting bit about Joffrey ordering Ned's execution from Cersei's bio: Joffrey orders the execution "following the advice of an unknown counselor." Dun dun dunnnn. Of course, Varys said as much in ACOK to Tyrion, but still.

No mention in Victarion's bio as to the dusky woman, for those speculating about her potential importance in his storyline. The bio does state that Victarion "is not a subtle man or a deep thinker." Hahahahaha! Indeed not.

Not too sure if this is the right place to post this, but as seeing as it confirms something I'll put it here. On one of the comments in GRRM's Not a Blog he confirmed he isn't anywhere near half done with TWOW :(

Commenter: Was also excited to see the comment (yours??) that WOW is about half way completed? Looking forward to updates here or at your website.

GRRM: Unfortunately, that's a misquote. I am working on WINDS, but it is nowhere near half done.

A completion date of 2014 might be pushing it.

Loras: I'm totally bummed that my fleshed out theory regarding Loras, Dragonstone and the Bastard of Nightsong has been pretty much debunked. I want to twist this and say that we can't be sure, but I can't in good faith considering the language used. I can't very well be a wet blanket to other crackpot theories (like Quentyn being alive or Mance being Rhaegar) if I refuse to acknowledge when the app is explicit about Loras. Fucking bummer. My night is ruined.

I'm still iffy on Loras. My Spidey sense tingles on that one.

Some people are taking the wrong approach on the information gleamed from the app. For one, I would not discount your personal theories about Loras and his fate. Quite clearly, the writer has been shrouding this entire topic in mystery for what has now been more than half a dozen years. He isn't simply going to reveal what has befallen Loras in an app. What we get is the official cover story that we have been getting since back in A Feast for Crows, much in the same way the app reports that Jon Snow is the son of Eddard Stark when that isn't true either.

Archived