Illyrio and the dragon eggs (GoT)

FacelessDude

If you think about it: Varys and Illyrio promised the Iron Throne to both Aegon and Viserys. They were conscious, from the beginning, that they couldn't give the IT to both boys. And we know that they shaped Aegon (not Viserys) to rule.

I personally believe that, indeed, Dany was meant to go with the Dothraki and be a bait, attract the attention of the IT and of Robert on her, and act as a warning bell for the Westerosi to announce the Targaryens are moving towards Westeros. About Viserys, imo, Illyrio mentions Viserys isn't a good person, he tried to rape his sister, has anger management problems, he is the son of Aerys, a bit mad like him. I think Viserys was expandable for Illyrio who would have had to kick him out of the picture for Aegon to have the IT anyway. So whether Viserys stayed with him or went with the Dothraki, it wasn't a big deal for Illyrio and he didn't seem to affected by the loss of Viserys.

As for the dragon eggs, of course several questions can be raised: why did he give such valuable eggs to Dany? Why didn't he just buy an army with one of them? It is certain that Illyrio thought the eggs would be of a certain importance to the Targs anyway.

What is really interesting, however, is that Dany is now reunited with a part of Drogo's ex-khalasar. We might start learning details about the Drogo x Illyrio agreement. Maybe the eggs were part of the package deal for Drogo. Or, maybe, Illyrio arranged for them to be returned to him if anything happened to the khaleesi?

• 1 month later...

Illyrio has definitley caught my attention alot more on the reread. I don't see him as a Targaryen supporter i think him and Varys have a game plan and then also have their players. I don't think he cares for their well being only that they help in aiding their masterplan.

The conversation that Arya overhears in the dungeons is very key in unlocking his motives with Varys. Illyrio is asking Varys to stall the war between the Starks and Lannisters so he can prepare Dany and Dothraki Army. I wonder where Illyrio got these eggs from thats the more important question.. not if he believed them to be fertile or not.

• 5 months later...

If you look at Dany's character page on the World of Ice and Fire iOS app, it says he "can afford such generosity thanks to the wealth that brokering the marriage brought him". So that seems to be the official explanation. When you consider Jorah's comments that a single egg could buy a ship, this sounds like a fairly consistent price range.

I'm currently re-reading a Game of Thrones and I came up with a theory pertaining to the three dragon eggs that Dany receives from Illyrio.

After finishing aDwD six months ago and learning more about Illyrio's motives (he is most likely a Targaryen supporter) I came to the conclusion that Illyrio purposely gave Dany the dragon eggs to support her rise to power. Illyrio says that the dragon eggs have turned to stone, which basically means that they won't hatch. I think Illyrio gave her the three eggs knowing that they would hatch in the future, therefore strengthening her fight for the Iron Throne and rise to power.

Basically the dragons ensure her taking of the crown and they will help her wipe out the Lannister's and any who oppose the Targaryen's.

Has anyone thought that this may be the case?

Nope. Really doubt it.

Illyrio is a Blackfyre supporter and possibly some kind of Targ bastard descendant himself, or he is descended from another member of the Band of Nine. The Ninepenny kings attempt failed, but they are still trying.

The eggs were to stay on Daenerys's good side. Part of the cover. So that later when he sent his ships to get her and her Dothraki army to help his Pretender "Aegon", she would trust him. He had absolutely no reason to expect them to hatch, since all attempts for around 200 years had failed and they were OLD eggs.

Keep in mind, by hereditary laws, the REAL Aegon's claim to the throne was better than that of either Daenerys or Viserys. He wanted his fake Aegon on the throne, with the aunt and uncle around to give it the appearance of legitimacy.

The eggs were no more than precious gems for Illyrio. They were fit as the wedding gifts from a rich man like him. Nobody on earth predicted that they can hatch. In fact, they were petrified dragon eggs, not even live dragon eggs. If he had given less precious gifts, Drogo could have taken that as an insult. Good old Drogo did not like to be insulted. Besides, Illyrio gained much more than he gave. Drogo gave him lots of gold for his trouble in arranging this wedding. Illyrio is also a big slaver. Having a slave creator like Drogo as a good friend is a good investment.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently re-reading a Game of Thrones and I came up with a theory pertaining to the three dragon eggs that Dany receives from Illyrio.

After finishing aDwD six months ago and learning more about Illyrio's motives (he is most likely a Targaryen supporter) I came to the conclusion that Illyrio purposely gave Dany the dragon eggs to support her rise to power. Illyrio says that the dragon eggs have turned to stone, which basically means that they won't hatch. I think Illyrio gave her the three eggs knowing that they would hatch in the future, therefore strengthening her fight for the Iron Throne and rise to power.

Basically the dragons ensure her taking of the crown and they will help her wipe out the Lannister's and any who oppose the Targaryen's.

Has anyone thought that this may be the case?

I know its a long shot but could one of these eggs be connected to the egg dtolen by the dwarfs in the hedge knight novels.Time has turned the eggs to stone so maybe they have been in the possesion of his family for a while now.

Didn't Illyrio tell Viserys to stay w/ him while Dany went to Vaes Dothrak? Why would he do that if he wanted them both dead on the Dothraki sea?

Yep and he told the Golden Company that the Dothraki would be invading alongside them, so he definitely didn't send them away to die. He wanted that army and no doubt having an undeniable Targaryen supporting the cause would clear up any doubt about Aegon's legitimacy.

I suspect that he would have dealt with Viserys while Dany was away which is why he wanted him to stay.

I know its a long shot but could one of these eggs be connected to the egg dtolen by the dwarfs in the hedge knight novels.Time has turned the eggs to stone so maybe they have been in the possesion of his family for a while now.

Of course. Or they could be any of the at least two dozen dragon eggs the Targs possessed at the time but unaccounted for when Bob became King. Varys was Aerys spymaster after all.

Of course. Or they could be any of the at least two dozen dragon eggs the Targs possessed at the time but unaccounted for when Bob became King. Varys was Aerys spymaster after all.

But Viserys never speaks about eggs, and Dany doesn't mention any story about eggs told by Viserys. So we can assume eggs weren't there anymore during the reign of Aerys or when he was a child and since Aerys is older than Varys than it's impossible for him to steal them when he wasn't born yet, my guess is that they were either destroyed at summerhall or Jaeherys the second sent them away to prevent anymore tragic events after the events of Summerhall. So the eggs probably came from Asshai as Illyrio stated.

But Viserys never speaks about eggs, and Dany doesn't mention any story about eggs told by Viserys. So we can assume eggs weren't there anymore during the reign of Aerys or when he was a child and since Aerys is older than Varys than it's impossible for him to steal them when he wasn't born yet, my guess is that they were either destroyed at summerhall or Jaeherys the second sent them away to prevent anymore tragic events after the events of Summerhall. So the eggs probably came from Asshai as Illyrio stated.

Maybe. Either way, the eggs themselves are hardly any clue. Those are available to everyone with enough money.

• 1 month later...

there are/were Dragons in Ashai. Valaryia was not their only home. Basically anywhere there are volcano's there can be Dragons. Dragonstone was the hatchery for the Targ dragons because it has a volcano on it.

Ashai is a trading port and its very feasible that Illyrio requested dragon eggs from a cog next time it returns from Ashai. With his kind of money all he needs do is put in an order and the captain would do the rest.

• 1 month later...

Nope. Really doubt it.

Illyrio is a Blackfyre supporter and possibly some kind of Targ bastard descendant himself, or he is descended from another member of the Band of Nine. The Ninepenny kings attempt failed, but they are still trying.

The eggs were to stay on Daenerys's good side. Part of the cover. So that later when he sent his ships to get her and her Dothraki army to help his Pretender "Aegon", she would trust him. He had absolutely no reason to expect them to hatch, since all attempts for around 200 years had failed and they were OLD eggs.

Keep in mind, by hereditary laws, the REAL Aegon's claim to the throne was better than that of either Daenerys or Viserys. He wanted his fake Aegon on the throne, with the aunt and uncle around to give it the appearance of legitimacy.

Hippocras has the right of it. Illyrio is a Blackfyre supporter. the Blackfyres are extinguished in the male line, but no-one ever talks about the females of this family. The question of why the f does Illyrio care about Westerosi politics has never really been answered. We know her loved a beautiful girl named Serra. We know they had a son. Tyrion is dressed in old boy's clothes when he is in Illyrio's manse, intimating that a boy once lived there. Whose were they? Aegon's. Illyrio knows that the boy was always fond of candied ginger. Aegon is the son of Illyrio and Serra, and one if not both of them are related to the Blackfyres. This is also Illyrio and Varys' chance to turn the tables on the rich and powerful of the world. Two ex-guttersnipes from the alleys of the free cities, running Westeros/ the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Hippocras has the right of it. Illyrio is a Blackfyre supporter. the Blackfyres are extinguished in the male line, but no-one ever talks about the females of this family. The question of why the f does Illyrio care about Westerosi politics has never really been answered. We know her loved a beautiful girl named Serra. We know they had a son. Tyrion is dressed in old boy's clothes when he is in Illyrio's manse, intimating that a boy once lived there. Whose were they? Aegon's. Illyrio knows that the boy was always fond of candied ginger. Aegon is the son of Illyrio and Serra, and one if not both of them are related to the Blackfyres. This is also Illyrio and Varys' chance to turn the tables on the rich and powerful of the world. Two ex-guttersnipes from the alleys of the free cities, running Westeros/ the world.

On a recent Tyrion re-read of ADWD I was struck by the colours of Illyrio's rings: "... emerald, jet and jade, a black diamond and a green pearl", yes, there are other colours there but GREEN and BLACK are left for last as if for emphasis and are always mentioned together. And later "... jet and jade, scarlet samite, green silk..."

I reckon Illyrio is a Targearyen on both sides, legitimate and bastard (Blackfyre).

I think he is a Blackfyre descendant and Serra was a Targaryen descendant making Aegon a mix of both. See the Brightfyre theory thread. :)

Thanks for the heads up, I'll do that!

Archived