Producers, Writers Guilds Honor Game of Thrones

Westeros

As various bodies begin to announce their award nominations for the 2013 award season, Game of Thrones of course gets some attention, as one would expect from one of HBO‘s tent-pole dramas. Late last month, the Producers Guild of America released its nominations, and Game of Thrones was among them in Drama category. The awards are aimed at acknowledging the producers behind the shows, so specifically it’s the executive producers David Benioff, Bernadette Caulfield, Frank Doelger, Carolyn Strauss, and D.B. Weiss who are up for the award.

And now the Writers Guild of America has followed suit (as we learn from GRRM himself at “Not a Blog” with a Drama nod. The show doesn’t feature in the Episodic Drama category—it’s all Mad Men and Breaking Bad there—but in the more general drama series category.

Visit the Site!

The definition of episodic drama:

"Episodic drama has many episodes spread out over long periods of time and a number of locales. Episodic drama has many characters and frequently has parallel plots or subplots in addition to the main plot"

Not sure if you could describe the structure of GoT more concisely than that.

ep·i·sod·ic

Adjective

• Containing or consisting of a series of loosely connected parts or events.

If Game of Thrones were episodic, each episode would have it's own self contained plot. They don't.

That's not the definition they use for these awards and I don't think you're interpreting it correctly regardless. It's episodic and the fact that the guild that defines these awards puts it in that category is proof of this.

Serialized shows can still be episodic, you're being far too literal.

That's not the definition they use for these awards and I don't think you're interpreting it correctly regardless. It's episodic and the fact that the guild that defines these awards puts it in that category is proof of this.

Serialized shows can still be episodic, you're being far too literal.

The guild didn't put it in that catagory, they put in shows that actually are episodic. The Westeros.org article that pointed out that it wasn't in that catagory and I was suggesting a reason why.

Also, even if they had put it in the episodic catagory, does that somehow invalidate my opinion that the word should be used literaly? The English language is a mess already, so I'm going to continue to correct misuse of words, to prevent words from having a rediculous number of meanings.

Game of Thrones of course gets some attention, as one would expect from one of HBO‘s tent-pole dramas. Late last month, the Producers Guild of America released its nominations, and Game of Thrones was among them in Drama category.

Visit the Site!

You may expect it from HBO's tentpole dramas but Game of Thrones is the only one that delivered. GoT is the only HBO drama nominated for any Producers Guild awards, so kudos to all who make the show possible.

The guild didn't put it in that catagory, they put in shows that actually are episodic. The Westeros.org article that pointed out that it wasn't in that catagory and I was suggesting a reason why.

Also, even if they had put it in the episodic catagory, does that somehow invalidate my opinion that the word should be used literaly? The English language is a mess already, so I'm going to continue to correct misuse of words, to prevent words from having a rediculous number of meanings.

The episodes of shows that are nominated in the episodic category (Homeland, Breaking Bad and Mad Men) are fairly heavily serialized. You can argue to the degree they are serialized as compared to Game of Thrones but it's not like it's they're Law and Order or whatever television program you think adheres to that definition.

The only other category listed for Drama is Drama-Long Form which is for mini-series and TV movies like Hatfield and McCoys or Hemingway and Gellhorn (Television movies that spanned a couple of nights as special presentations).

I have no idea what the definition you provided: Containing or consisting of a series of loosely connected parts or events

even means in the context of television. The definition I provided you earlier:

"Episodic drama has many episodes spread out over long periods of time and a number of locales. Episodic drama has many characters and frequently has parallel plots or subplots in addition to the main plot"

which applies to Game of Thrones in every sense was used with reference to plays in Shakespearean time. How far back in history should I go to find the proper use of the term?

Archived