Video Games: You Game Like a Young Man, With Nothing Held Back. Admirable, But Mistaken.

Sivin

Ooo...is Valkyria Chronicles a good game? I've seen it in stores but wasn't sure if I wanted to buy it. I love RPGs with good stories, like Xenosaga Episode I and FFVI.

Still my most beloved game on PS3. The animation style alone makes it worth buying. And get the Behind Her Blue Flame DLC for a nice little present when you finish it.

I let my nephew borrow it when he got his PS3, then his PS3 and all the games he had got stolen :bawl:

But I also hate Sega for moving the series onto PSP!!! and it sold like crap on PSP! But was obviously cheaper to make. :tantrum:

I haven't re-bought the game because I'm crossing fingers and toes that Sega will do the decent thing and release a triple game HD upgrade of all 3 VCs, with trophy support.

Something to consider: Ben Yahtzee Croshaw of zero punctuation reviews fame had lots of negative things to say about it. BUT he did say that Valkyria Chronicles did make him a believer in based strategy genre. I agree with most of his criticisms, but it's still my favourite game.

The RPGness of Valkyria Chronicles is pretty light, so don't go into it with high RPG expectations. You level up classes of soldier not individual characters, and individual character special abilities / moves are auto-revealed once the soldier class gets to certain levels.

EVERY character in your squad has their own personalities and quirks. I had squad members who I simply couldn;t go into battle without even if they weren't necessarily the best picks for the mission.

Oh please get it, I hope you like it even half as much as me, and I'd love to read your impressions.

That said, the only reason I didn't fuck Garrus is because I felt it would be weird to fuck my bro.

See this is *why* I did end up romancing Garrus. Of all of the party members he has the best connection with Shep (or at least my Shep).

Just a bit curious: I haven't bought a new AAA game since Mass Effect 3 came out in March, but I'm interested in many of the major releases of the year -- namely Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands 2, Dishonoured, Far Cry 3, Assassins Creed 3, and Hitman: Absolution. For those who've kept current, which title would you recommend over the others?

Are there any that I should avoid? Seems like the reviews for AC3 were initially positive, but now I'm hesitant about picking it up because there's been a bit of backlash saying that it under delivered in many ways. Is that true for any of the other titles I listed as well?

Just a bit curious: I haven't bought a new AAA game since Mass Effect 3 came out in March, but I'm interested in many of the major releases of the year -- namely Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands 2, Dishonoured, Far Cry 3, Assassins Creed 3, and Hitman: Absolution. For those who've kept current, which title would you recommend over the others?

Are there any that I should avoid? Seems like the reviews for AC3 were initially positive, but now I'm hesitant about picking it up because there's been a bit of backlash saying that it under delivered in many ways. Is that true for any of the other titles I listed as well?

In my opinion, BL2 > Far Cry 3 > Dishonored

I haven't played the others.

In my opinion, BL2 > Far Cry 3 > Dishonored

I haven't played the others.

I didn't think very highly of BorderLands 2, and Far Cry 3 is hitting all the right notes so far. But I really hate Dishonored. The gameplay isn't engaging enough to me, and the graphics give me headaches.

halo bender: if you've played any other AC game I would recommend you to buy it for the sake of continuing the story. It may be true that it under-delivered in some ways, but in its whole it is a good game where you can do a lot of stuff. It has both side-quests on land and sea. The story might not be the strongest in the series and it can be buggy and feel rushed at times, but if you're familiar with the series I'd recommend you to buy it.

Although, I've only picked it up once after it was finished, but DLC is coming soon too if I'm not mistaken.

As for the others I can't say, although I'm pretty sure I will pick up Hitman and Dishonored some time soon. They seem pretty good from what I've seen.

VGAs happened, GOTY should have been Halo 4. The Walking Dead doesn't have a good enough story to win GOTY while basically being a point and click game. South Park game looked fun, actually pretty excited for it. Other than that the VGAs are fucking stupid.

The endings for far cry 3 look really really fucked up. I didn't realize we were at the point where it's cool to do first person sex in gaming.

I didn't know that was in the game...I'm definitely fucking getting it now.

I subjected myself to the brain-cell killing VGAs in the vain hope of catching a glimpse of at least a teaser or cinematic trailer for Dragon Age 3. Naturally, when the trailer Dark Souls III came on I was pretty fucking excited...until the end when it said it Was Dark Souls III, not DA3. I swear, the trailer looked like it had blatantly lifted DA3's concept art and there was the dragon and I figured the masked men could be some Orlesian masquerade dragon cultists or something. Oh well, I'd like to think that a DA3 trailer would give more insight into the actual plot anyway.

I subjected myself to the brain-cell killing VGAs in the vain hope of catching a glimpse of at least a teaser or cinematic trailer for Dragon Age 3. Naturally, when the trailer Dark Souls III came on I was pretty fucking excited...until the end when it said it Was Dark Souls III, not DA3. I swear, the trailer looked like it had blatantly lifted DA3's concept art and there was the dragon and I figured the masked men could be some Orlesian masquerade dragon cultists or something. Oh well, I'd like to think that a DA3 trailer would give more insight into the actual plot anyway.

I'm sure what you mean is FUCK YEAH DARK SOULS 2!!!!!!!!

I don't understand how people can like a game like dragon age origins, it's story is terrible, the graphics and its scaling is horrible, the combat system is shit.. I had to actually uninstall it after purchasing it from steam

I don't like it either. I know others who felt the opposite, but I played DA:O right after Mass Effect and it just felt like DA:O did a way worse job at everything I cared about.

halo bender: if you've played any other AC game I would recommend you to buy it for the sake of continuing the story. It may be true that it under-delivered in some ways, but in its whole it is a good game where you can do a lot of stuff. It has both side-quests on land and sea. The story might not be the strongest in the series and it can be buggy and feel rushed at times, but if you're familiar with the series I'd recommend you to buy it.

I used to be a pretty big fan of the series, but I've been fatigued with the series since Brotherhood. I still play it, but it's taken me a year to get through Assassin's Creed: Revelations and I'm still not finished yet.

So yeah, I'm sort of curious about AC3, but all the negatives I've been hearing don't exactly have me in a rush to get it any time soon.

VGAs happened, GOTY should have been Halo 4. The Walking Dead doesn't have a good enough story to win GOTY while basically being a point and click game. South Park game looked fun, actually pretty excited for it. Other than that the VGAs are fucking stupid.

Are you going off first hand experience here, or are you just positing that the Walking Dead's story isn't good enough?

It's probably my favourite piece of media content that came out this year, and by that I include games, movies and TV. I'd only hesitate to give it a Game of the Year award because it's less of a game than it is an interactive movie. But you know what, I want more interactive experiences that aren't so much about who has the quickest trigger finger but are instead about immersing you in the story, so I'm glad it's getting recognition.

Archived