Has Theon deserved all that happened to him for betraying Winterfell?

GRRM surely doesn't smooth things out in his books. A lot of characters go through a lot for sure.

Theon clearly went through a lot in the hands of Ramsay Bolton, one of the worst bad characters in the book.

But who had it worse in the book series off all characters? (e.g. Tywin, Ned, Theon, Robb, Catelyn, tyrion ? basically anyone you think had it real hard in the book)

Who had it worse? Comparing who and who?

And I think it's time for Theon to die. His fractured psyche can't be fixed at this point, and he's been punished enough. I see it more of a mercy killing.

Yep, I think the best thing Theon can hope for now is to die with some dignity.

Of course, we've been watching the rehabilitation of Jaime Lannister (an unabashed child-killer, and Kingslayer) for the last 3 books, so you never know.

Theon as Theon or Theon come Reek? Theon as Theon did derserve punishment but in a sense is already dead, he died so that Reek could exist. Gone is the pride of the Ironborn or of the Starks, his archery, his name, his horse, his horsemanship, his friendship wih Robb and his dream of ruling the isles.

Where exactly Is the mark of the Ironborn Prince of Winterfell in Reek? Is it the devotion to Ramsey? The fighting with dogs for scraps? The fear of the Ironborn of the neck? His fear of his name?

I think that Asha needs him for a Kingsmoot. That will be his final act, to be Lord and name her as heir and castellian. Which in effect will seat Asha Geyjoy on the throne. And her first act as Queen in waiting will be to grant his wish to die for the Stark gods. It would be symetry to have the only thing he wants denied to him until he achieves his former hollow dream and for Asha to find her strength and support among the Ironborn by granting both death and mercy in the wake of the failure at Mereen.

Tough question.

He betrayed his one and only true friend, King Robb, in order to gain the approval of a father who dismissed him and would never really accept him no matter what he did. I would say he definitely earned the Reek treatment and I like that he is trying to make amends now, that being said I want his blood to feed the Weirwoods. He's of no real use staying alive... he's physically maimed, psychologically broken, what would he do?

No one deserves to be tortured, Theon is no exception. He does deserve a quick, clean death though. He has suffered enough. He did kill the millers boys (and the millers wife?), aswell as his own men, and in the end he might not even object to facing a headsman for his crimes.

IMO Theon did not betray WF. He was a captive. He did however betray the Ironmen a Moat Cailin, but he had been messed up so bad by then, any one would have done what he did. No one should suffer what he has.

Surely he did technically betray Robb because Robb had released him and he agreed to work with Robb and then went against him? He certainly didn't deserve torture though.

No one deserves to be tortured, Theon is no exception. He does deserve a quick, clean death though. He has suffered enough. He did kill the millers boys (and the millers wife?), aswell as his own men, and in the end he might not even object to facing a headsman for his crimes.

Theon betrayed Winterfell and it is basically his fault the castle was put to the torch. But still...

I hated him for betraying the Starks who treated him like family but then nobody deserves to be tortured by a sick turd like Ramsay bolton. Theon totally breaks down mentally/ psycologically to the torture.

Surely he did technically betray Robb because Robb had released him and he agreed to work with Robb and then went against him? He certainly didn't deserve torture though.

Theon was one of the first people to kneel and hail Robb as King. He did betray him.

Off all characters in the book really. Who had it worse ?

We have no shortage of examples in ASOIAF...

Twyin could have suffered a little more.

I think Theon probably had it the worse. That's why I advocate for his death. Let's not let him suffer anything more.

When you think about it a little; it sucks to be Davos, but not near as bad as Theon by end of DwD.

Anybody who had it as worse as Theon would be the people that get sent to Qyburn.

As I've once written, even Ramsay doesn't deserve a Ramsay treatment. That said, at this point I see no future for Theon other than death. He deserves it, and, as others have said, in his state it would be a gift of mercy. If he gets to kill his tormentor before he dies, I'm cool with that, too.

Archived