Elementary

Daenerys is my queen

I didn't see a topic for this show so I decided to start one. I absolutely love this show. I love Sherlock Holmes and I love seeing him in modern day and I love Watson and I just...I love it. What do you all think? Who are your favorite characters? What do you like best about the show? What did you think of the latest episode?

My favorites are Sherlock and Joan Watson. I like everything about the show equally. And I can't remember what I thought about the last episode but I'm sure I loved it.

It really isn't anything special. I don't really like that they're trying to give New York a classic british feeling in many scenes. And it really is just very losely based on Sherlock Holmes, mostly to gain viewers based on the name and fanbase alone.

If you want so see Sherlock Holmes in a modern day setting you should definitly check out the BBC series which is pure class, I really can't stress how greatness of the BBC series enough.

Freeman and Cumberbatch are both perfect in their roles(hence one is seen as Bilbo and the other one as the antagonist in the new Star Trek movie)

Is the BBC series modern day? Is it even on BBC America? Can't say I'm not interested, but Idon't know how hard I want to go liking right now.

As for Elementary, it's a fine enough show. They've introduced a couple of the Holmes mythos and it will be interesting to see how they do Moriarty.

It's enjoyable enough.

Yes, the BBC series is modern day. It's called "Sherlock!" and it's head and shoulders above "Elementary."

I don't think you can catch it anyplace in reruns right now. It's definitely worth watching, though. It's makes my favorite list right next to Jeremy Brett's wonderful take on Holmes.

Fair enough. So until it becomes more easily accessible, for I an lazy!, I shall struggle through with Elementary and it's somewhat lighter fare...

It's available on both netflix and amazon (free for amazon prime) streaming.

I really didn't want to reply to this thread because now it will have that little star by it, and I have a pathological condition that makes me click on all threads that have that star by them...

I like the show, but I said before it aired, If they did everything else the same and called it something else(saying base on Sherlock Holmes) it would do well. Giving it that name, it will never reach what people want it to.

I like the black guy that Sherlock pick as a sponsor, but then they have not shown him since. I like how Watson doesn't like Sherlock that much.

It's available on both netflix and amazon (free for amazon prime) streaming.

I really didn't want to reply to this thread because now it will have that little star by it, and I have a pathological condition that makes me click on all threads that have that star by them...

HA!

And I cannot bring myself into the world of netflix and streaming video...I just can't do it...

I like the show, but I said before it aired, If they did everything else the same and called it something else(saying base on Sherlock Holmes) it would do well. Giving it that name, it will never reach what people want it to.

Really, the show is just a reboot of House. Only the lead character is a detective instead of a doctor and a recovering addict, rather than an ongoing addict.

HA!

And I cannot bring myself into the world of netflix and streaming video...I just can't do it...

Pretty sure it's been aired on PBS; no idea about re-runs.

Being British, it's very short runs of very high quality; 2 seasons of 3 episodes so far

Elementary reminds me a lot of another CBS show, The Mentalist. Both feature main characters with amazing powers of observation and deduction about objects, people and situations. IMO the main difference is that The Mentalist's protagonist, Patrick Jane, focuses more on people than Holmes does. I like The Mentalist more, but Elementary is certainly decent.

Elementary reminds me a lot of another CBS show, The Mentalist. Both feature main characters with amazing powers of observation and deduction about objects, people and situations. IMO the main difference is that The Mentalist's protagonist, Patrick Jane, focuses more on people than Holmes does. I like The Mentalist more, but Elementary is certainly decent.

I watched the first 2-3 seasons of The Mentalist and liked it okay. I haven't watched it at all this season.

It's a good comparison between Patrick Jane and Sherlock. The main difference between the two shows, though, is that Elementary focuses a lot more on Sherlock. In The Mentalist, the other characters on the show were all terribly wooden, I thought. Jane was interesting enough, but the rest of them bored me to tears.

Elementary is all right but it is not Sherlock Holmes. One of my favourite bits about the Holmes/Watson relationship was that it was not forced, neither partner was obligated to be there. In fact, what makes it special is that the normally reclusive Holmes opened up and grew attached to Watson so fiercely.

Elementary reminds me of Monk more than anything although Lucy Liu and the guy who plays Holmes are a delight to watch.

Sherlock had a fuckton of things wrong with it, but it also had ambition and went some interesting places - which it often spectacularly failed to reach (I couldn't bring myself to watch anymore after the horrifically bad Irene Adler introduction episode) but credit for trying. Elementary is pretty bland by comparison, and I keep getting annoyed at how boring the mysteries/deduction mostly are. Agree that House - at least early seasons - is still the best contemporary take on Holmes.

It really isn't anything special. I don't really like that they're trying to give New York a classic british feeling in many scenes. And it really is just very losely based on Sherlock Holmes, mostly to gain viewers based on the name and fanbase alone.

If you want so see Sherlock Holmes in a modern day setting you should definitly check out the BBC series which is pure class, I really can't stress how greatness of the BBC series enough.

Freeman and Cumberbatch are both perfect in their roles(hence one is seen as Bilbo and the other one as the antagonist in the new Star Trek movie)

I've seen Sherlock and I like it as well. :)

Really, the show is just a reboot of House. Only the lead character is a detective instead of a doctor and a recovering addict, rather than an ongoing addict.

This is a funny comment. House was of course designed to be Sherlock Holmes in a medical setting.

Like I said it would be ok, maybe even good, if they called it something eles like L&O: CI, or House (Sherlock as a MD) both of which stole heavily from Doyle and his stories. With a side note that they both kinda stayed away from making the sidekick a ripe off of Watson.

Like I said it would be ok, maybe even good, if they called it something eles like L&O: CI, or House (Sherlock as a MD) both of which stole heavily from Doyle and his stories. With a side note that they both kinda stayed away from making the sidekick a ripe off of Watson.

Really? Wilson / Watson the friend who's never quite sure why he's a, friend, and acts as a buffer between House/Home and the real world; bit of a lady's man, and occasionally lives with him?

First 2 seasons of House were fantastic, and a blatant homage to Holmes; season 3 started losing quality, and S4 onwards were just flogging a dead horse

Archived