Is this impression of Serena Williams a form of blackface?

Addien

Unless Serena's build is specifically tied to her ethnicity, then it's racist.

Which it's not, so it's not racist.

People are too quick to pull the race card, especially about trivial crap like this.

Now if she came out with her face/body painted black while munching on a bucket of fried chicken, yes, that would be racist. However, she's simply making a mockery of Serena in jest, which is simply, as Elder Sister pointed out, classless and mean.

I also thought the high-end crowd in the tennis circles were pretty tight. A lot of mocking goes on. Serena has a body with lush curves, nothing at all like Wozniacki's, the padding was exageration of course, but she needed the padding. The question is, are they friends?

Seriously, have you seen pictures of Serena? A lot of women would kill to have her body,

Whether or not I'd kill to have her body (I would, btw - she has an amazing body) is not the point, the point is a long (racist) history of putting black women into a binary - either the degrading hypersexualized stereotype or the degrading "mammy" stereotype", of which this imitation strikes me as the former

Well, it doesn't strike me that way - if she was going to imitate her friend without enhancing her own body, what was she going to do, paint her face black? Or should Serena just be ignored - Wozniacki has apparently done imitations of a whole bunch of her fellow tennis players - because Serena's black and the others are white? Just leave her out, ignore her because she's black, let the white women do goofy bonding and show how united they are, but not include the black player?

Racist? Tits and ass? It's mean, and unsportsmanlike. But not racist. Unless Serena's build is specifically tied to her ethnicity, then it's racist.

Edit: Addien said it better.

And no, I didn't take this as racist. I took it as one person mocking the body of another, not the body of all black people.

I'm gonna with personal, not racist. And apparently the two of them, like a lot of top tennis players, are fairly close friends and all do stuff like this all the time during exhibition matches.

Not a big deal.

Archived