Confessions...Say What! V.9

Winter's Knight

What is "meta"? I see people say this all of the time but... I don't know what it is.

I didn't know what the terms meta, shipping, or stanning meant before coming to this forum. I've had shipping explained to me a few times and I'm still not entirely sure I get it. As for stanning, I once got in to the middle of a discussion on SanStans and thought it was some theory about Stannis and made myself look like a bit of an idiot. Meta confuses me at times cause I see the term used in different ways.

I am not fandom savvy.

--edit because I can't seem to keep words straight at times.

I didn't know what the terms meta, shipping, or stanning meant before coming to this forum. I've had shipping explained to me a few times and I'm still not entirely sure I get it. As for stanning, I once got in to the middle of a discussion on SanStans and thought it was some theory about Stannis and made myself look like a bit of an idiot. Meta confuses me at times cause I see the term used in different times

I am not fandom savvy.

Neither am i, i just do it cause its the cool thing to do.

Don't say that Florina, you're the coolest girl i know. (Think Eadaoin might kill me for that one...)

Nah, Florina is definitely cooler than me.

I didn't know what the terms meta, shipping, or stanning meant before coming to this forum. I've had shipping explained to me a few times and I'm still not entirely sure I get it. As for stanning, I once got in to the middle of a discussion on SanStans and thought it was some theory about Stannis and made myself look like a bit of an idiot. Meta confuses me at times cause I see the term used in different times

I am not fandom savvy.

It took me forever to figure out what "shipping" meant. AFAIK it really is just being a supporter of some kind of relationship between two characters, usually romantic. I am trying to wrap my head around this "meta" concept...

I must confess that I understand.

I must also confess that you've sent me in to a small panic and I feel the need to beg you not to leave.

Oh don't worry, I could never leave! Someone has to defend Dany and the Jon/Dany ship! :P

I confess i find Fandom Rage to be a bit silly. Cant we all just get along?[/Rodney King]

Nope. I just genuinely cannot get along with everyone in this fandom. There was once a time when I was a sweet summer child and I wished I could... but now I don't even want to. Some of the people in this fandom are just awful.

I remember reading a thread on another forum about ASOIAF, and an adult man called Sansa, who has only just became a teenager, a "cunt". So yeah, there are just some people in this fandom that I will never get along with, nor would I ever want to.

There is a huge difference between not liking a character and actively being nasty, offensive, rude, or just seeking to enrage their fans.

It's only because she has dragons, and I'm saying this a Dany fangirl.

I'm specifically referring to her ADwD chapters after she's locked the dragons away, and she still possesses authority over her advisers. They know that she wants to be loved, but they also know what she's capable of -- Astapor and the crucifixions.

Of course the dragons play a huge role in the development of her authoritative persona... But I think it's clear that Dany is still an authoritative figure even without the dragons. The problem is that she doesn't want to be a "monster", so she represses it and it manifests itself in short outbursts.

I confess i find Fandom Rage to be a bit silly. Cant we all just get along?[/Rodney King]

Not "rage," exactly, but nothing channels my inner Roose like writing off a major POV as a boring, cliched plot contrivance who never does anything because their entire arc is full of boring, cliched plot contrivances.

Also, I've found some recent things written about Sansa to be breathtaking. Not in a good way.

Yea, I love Bran's chapters. I have to confess that I wouldn't mind if he warged into Hodor a few more times even though it's wrong and Hodor gets freaked out by it

Holy crap, i didn't realize everyone and their brother liked Brans chapters, well, i guess you learn something everyday.

Shipping: Putting two characters together and hoping they get together in the story. Sometimes with almost religious fervor. Example: JaimeFan44: "Jaime/Brienne better be a thing or else im gonna send hate mail to the author! I SHIP IT SO HARD!!!"

Stanning: (this one is relatively new to me as well.) Apparently, the term was taken from South Park. Means Obsessive Fan over one or more particular characters. Often to the point of not seeing the flaws of said character. Example: StannisTheMannis13: "Stannis is the greatest guy in the Seven Kingdoms! He burned those people for the greater good! THE GREATER GOOD!!!"

Meta: Meaning "beyond about". Often refers to beyond the Fourth Wall so to speak. Tropes and archetypes are more meta concepts. Example: Florina Stark: "Cersei's Walk of Shame can be viewed as a character development vehicle for her. On a meta level."

:D

Nope. I just genuinely cannot get along with everyone in this fandom. There was once a time when I was a sweet summer child and I wished I could... but now I don't even want to. Some of the people in this fandom are just awful.

I remember reading a thread on another forum about ASOIAF, and an adult man called Sansa, who has only just became a teenager, a "cunt". So yeah, there are just some people in this fandom that I will never get along with, nor would I ever want to.

There is a huge difference between not liking a character and actively being nasty, offensive, rude, or just seeking to enrage their fans.

Well, we obviously can't get along at times. I'm a fervent Daenerys-hater and also one of Cersei.. But then again, Sansa all the way! ;)

Not "rage," exactly, but nothing channels my inner Roose like writing off a major POV as a boring, cliched plot contrivance who never does anything because their entire arc is full of boring, cliched plot contrivances.

Also, I've found some recent things written about Sansa to be breathtaking. Not in a good way.

Ahh, that was an amusing thread! :P

Har. Bumps and Patrick, i think everybody has their berserk buttons. And sure theres a lot of stupid that gets thrown around, and sadly...thats the truth for just about every fandom out there. But if theres rational members of the fandom, i think we should make an effort to get along with those even if we dont always agree. I tend to ignore the stupider ones.

My Berserk Buttons/Inner Roose (as bumps put it):

Saying Arya is a psychopath. Also when people think shes "basically a boy" so more female issues do not apply to her.

I share one with bumps, that writing characters off as boring really steams my broccoli. Calling characters a Mary Sue when they are very clearly not really really makes me wanna stomp on some genitalia.

Archived