Blowing the horn three times

Sworn Shield

I just reread the Victarion chapter from TWOW that GRRM read out a while back, and am quite curious about having to blow the horn three times. In the chapter Victarion asks the thralls to blow the Dragon Horn once each, as Euron's man who blew the horn three times in AFFC dies. What I am wondering is, if blowing a horn three times has any significance? Blowing horns in the Night's Watch is a fairly important act, but is more important is sounding the horn three times to announce the arrival of Others.

Maybe I am grasping at straws here, but is there any correlation between blowing horns three times for dragons and Others?

Edited for spelling.

Blowing the horn 3 times for Others is just a code the Night's Watch agreed to.

Victarion is now looking for a way to safely use the Dragon Horn. Since Euron's guy who blew it first had time to blow it 3 times before collapsing, he probably thinks blowing it only once may not do any serious damage. (No idea why he thinks that, since according to Moqorro the runes state that anyone who blows the horn will die)

You know what, there may be something important about blowing the dragon horn three times. However, I doubt it is connected to the nights watch blowing 3 times for others (ie. calling dragons :rolleyes:) but who knows, George has kept many cards close to his chest regarding the dragons, so many theories around.

What about the Horn of Joramun? :dunno:

One for the money, two for the show, three to get ready ...

Do the Others wear Blue Suede Shoes?

I would hope so... the color matches and it must get pretty damn cold up there

I just reread the Victarion chapter from TWOW that GRRM read out a while back, and am quite curious about having to blow the horn three times. In the chapter Victarion asks the thralls to blow the Dragon Horn once each, as Euron's man who blew the horn three times in AFFC dies. What I am wondering is, if blowing a horn three times has any significance? Blowing horns in the Night's Watch is a fairly important act, but is more important is sounding the horn three times to announce the arrival of Others.

Maybe I am grasping at straws here, but is there any correlation between blowing horns three times for dragons and Others?

Edited for spelling.

There is also the horn that the one knight with Jaime blows as the approach Harrenhall, Darry, and Raventree... and he blows it three times. In one of the heresy threads from a while back we discussed that the blowing of the horn three times is a symbolic gesture around guest right (either granting it or asking for it, depending on the blower)... so use this to inform you as you like, won't drag you down the rabbit hole if you do not want to go

I doubt the horn only works when there are 3 dragons nearby. Wouldn't that mean you could only control 3 dragons at a time? The Valyrians had more than 3 dragons so that would have been a problem I think (Of course we don't know what other kinds of magic they used to bind them).

My guess is that every dragon that hears the sound of the horn is under its control, regardless of how many there are.

In one of the heresy threads from a while back we discussed that the blowing of the horn three times is a symbolic gesture around guest right (either granting it or asking for it, depending on the blower)... so use this to inform you as you like, won't drag you down the rabbit hole if you do not want to go

@Sword Shield.

Wanted to caution you about following Tyryan down the rabbit hole. :drunk:

I'll give you one word...Neo!!!

Blowing the horn 3 times for Others is just a code the Night's Watch agreed to.

Victarion is now looking for a way to safely use the Dragon Horn. Since Euron's guy who blew it first had time to blow it 3 times before collapsing, he probably thinks blowing it only once may not do any serious damage. (No idea why he thinks that, since according to Moqorro the runes state that anyone who blows the horn will die)

Don't think he really cares, afterall they're only Thralls. Probably wants to test out if someone can survive blowing it once and has a selection of guys to see if any of them are good enough.

Don't think he really cares, afterall they're only Thralls. Probably wants to test out if someone can survive blowing it once and has a selection of guys to see if any of them are good enough.

Still, if I had a magical horn I'd rather be able to use it myself instead of having to use some slaves and he'd have to keep finding slaves willing to blow the horn for him (threatening to kill them is pointless, unless you raid some villages and take their families hostage).

Still, if I had a magical horn I'd rather be able to use it myself instead of having to use some slaves and he'd have to keep finding slaves willing to blow the horn for him (threatening to kill them is pointless, unless you raid some villages and take their families hostage).

True enough but let's face it saying to someone blow this horn or I will kill you the person will probably still blow the horn. Afterall any chance of survival is better than certain death. Even then you can kill someone in front of them, or threaten to kill their family. A lot of ways to make sure you get what you want. Plus given who Victorian is a steady supply of thralls isn't going to be too hard to come by.

OK he might want to blow it himself but if he can't he might as well find some way of doing it.

Three is sacred to the Snarks: "What I tell you three times is true".

I had assumed Victarian knew that all three would die, but that he was simply offering them hope to make his plan go smoother. My other assumption was that he believed he had to blow the horn once for each dragon, and that the death of 1 thrall would only pay for one dragon, and thus he needed three.

I will repost something I wrote on another thread. Its about Prime numbers, and GRRM has used the numbers that mean the most in religion, into his religions.

3, 5, 7, 13 ( as in the NK) are all imporant numbers from before math knew about prime numbers. They often have deep meaning with in religion or cultures. It would odd if they weren't important.

3 -Chirstian HolyTrinity, Hindu Trimurti and Tridevi, Jewels of Buddhism, Goddess of Wicca.

5- Five wounds of Jesus, Jewish 5 books of Moses, Muslim 5 prayers a day, 5 sacred Sikh symbols

7- way too many In Chirstian alone. Deadly sins, acts of mercy, Virtues, last words, loafs,

13- Judaism 13 is the age a boy becomes a man, 13 acts of mercy, 13 tuesdays of St. Anthony, Jesus and 12= 13

not to say all the things about bad luck.

• 2 weeks later...

So after reading the Arianne's sample chapter I decided to go back and check out the synopsis of the Arianne chapter GRRM read last year which is the follow up chapter to the sample. The synopsis has furthered my curiosity of my crackpot theory that blowing a horn 3 times may have some significance.

From the synopsis:

Elia is in a cave catching fish with her bare hands in a pool. Arianne is furious with her

for running off, and Elia gets a bit petulant because she doesn’t think that she did anything wrong.

Arianne makes her promise to behave, as she’s supposed to be pretending to be one of the Princess’s maidservants. She shouts at Elia that the girl could have died in the cave, and

‘died’ echoes ominously three times against the walls. Arianne confides in Elia that she often wishes Oberyn had been her father instead of Doran. On the walls of the cave they find carvings left behind by the Children of the Forest.

This might mean nothing, but I just sparks my interest in sounding something three times. Could the sounding of a horn three times actually represent death?

Teora Toland "And everywhere the dragons danced the people died."

It could be that sounding a horn three times is warning that death is coming, dragons and Others only bring death wherever they go.

Archived