Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim

polishgenius

Why is the guy from SoA getting work? He's such a horribly bad actor.

Is that the one who plays clay? He's a favourite of Del Toro's and he's got the kind of face/build that makes it easy to turn him into a monster which always helps.

The trailer could have done without the transformer sound effects as it's already pretty clear the film should appeal to transformer fans (and godzilla fans). Hopefully it makes more sense than a michael bay film but to be honest; mecha vs mosters is absolutely fine by me.

I have no concerns of CGI from seeing this.

One thing that's worth noting is that, while there will obviously be hefty amounts of CGI, Del Toro's gone with as much practical effects shooting as he can - the sets for this thing were vast. Apparently at one point they recreated an entire Tokyo street and set it up with pneumatic shockers so they could make the whole street shake with the monster's steps without CG. And there was a lot of demolishing going on.

Which is great, CG always works best when there's good practical work backing it up.

I have to say that the trailer didn't impress me, and I've really been looking forward to this. It has gotten a lot of hype, so maybe I was hoping for a bit too much, and it's not fair to judge it solely by the trailer. But nothing there blew me away. That being said, I didn't expect to like either of the Hellboy movies very much, but I did in the end, and of course Pan's Labyrinth is fucking awesome, so I'll certainly see this regardless. I'm still optimistic, though my hype has been slightly diminished.

I'm curious to see whether this or the Gareth Edwards Godzilla remake is better. I used to be super into kaiju shit as a kid so I'll see these movies either way.

Is that the one who plays clay? He's a favourite of Del Toro's and he's got the kind of face/build that makes it easy to turn him into a monster which always helps.

Nah, I mean the guy who plays Jax. He's like a bearded Kirsten Stewart

I like what I've seen so far. For a first trailer, it looks pretty good to me. I'm always willing to give giant robots a chance, and GLaDOS is just the icing on the cake, lie or not.

Oh, and Jax isn't that bad an actor. I've never really been put off by anything he's done and he's got a lot more range than Kristen Stewart. Of course, a block of wood has more range than Kristen Stewart, so...

I honestly get the video game and anime comparisons, but being a man of fogey inclinations, my mind immediately went two beloved childhood obsessions during that trailer.

First the obvious one where giant, rampaging monsters are concerned:

. . . and then

when the mech fist pound happened.

At that point I was ready to love this movie. Nostalgia is no indicator of quality cinema, obviously, but one can hope.

If this is just happening, it looks mildly amusing- could be neat, could be awful entertaining, could just be a couple hours of mindless giant robot violence. All good, all have their place.

If this is happening instead of some sort of legitimate Cthulu movie, though, fuck that noise.

I think this just qualifies as a teaser. Remember the big hullabaloo about the comic-con footage? They obviously (hopefully) saw a different clip than this that made it seem mindblowing. Plus, even though the cgi isn't up to snuff, like Mexal said they have a few months left to finish it.

Hate to say it, but it's like the New Moon teaser. The original teaser for it, the wolf looked horrible. Then by the time the movie came out, they had improved it quite a bit.

I think this just qualifies as a teaser. Remember the big hullabaloo about the comic-con footage? They obviously (hopefully) saw a different clip than this that made it seem mindblowing.

I have to agree. The comic con footage was apparently a huge success, and counted among the cons' top highlights along with the footage shown from The Hobbit, Elysium and Man of Steel.

Archived