Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim

polishgenius

It looks very Michael Bay Transformers-y to me. I'm not sure I'll be forking out the money to go to cinema and watch it.

Couple of points. A) In the trailers, following the action was always incredibly clear and never was a giant mess of metal parts like Transformers. B) Guillermo del Toro is a fantastic director, unlike Michael Bay. If you're unaware, he's the guy behind Pan's Labyrinth C) Every single pre-release interview he's done, and little behind-the-scenes thing, makes it clear that he loves this movie and wants to make it amazing,

I mean, you could be right, and it could be like Transformers. I just think that the marketing doesn't begin to show how good this could really be.

edit: Seriously y'all, Guillermo del Toro.

A) In the trailers, following the action was always incredibly clear and never was a giant mess of metal parts like Transformers

Important point. I never understand how Bay is editing his films and does not understand that people are not going to be invested in the action scenes, if they cannot actually see and identify what is happening. I think he must see it, and think that that actually makes it cool.

It's sad that next year's Transformers film, which is supposed to be something of a reboot with Wahlberg in the lead, is once again helmed by Bay. It's like the franchise never gets an honest chance because there is this utter moron being given the lead, again and again.

Couple of points. A) In the trailers, following the action was always incredibly clear and never was a giant mess of metal parts like Transformers. B) Guillermo del Toro is a fantastic director, unlike Michael Bay. If you're unaware, he's the guy behind Pan's Labyrinth C) Every single pre-release interview he's done, and little behind-the-scenes thing, makes it clear that he loves this movie and wants to make it amazing,

I mean, you could be right, and it could be like Transformers. I just think that the marketing doesn't begin to show how good this could really be.

edit: Seriously y'all, Guillermo del Toro.

Pan's Labyrinth wasn't all that good, and the marketing was misleading.

Am I the only one who thought that the trailer for this looked horrendous? I mean, there is literally no way I would be seeing this movie, and the premise is something that I do think would be entertaining.

You're not the only one. I hate giant robot movies (I haven't seen any of the Transformer movies), and del Toro is not a god to me.

It's Del Toro but what can even he do with "Robots v. Monsters"? I agree with the criticism of 1) fighting hand to hand and 2) if you can make giant robots why not make them a lot bigger than the monsters? Fighting "fair" seems pretty stupid.

I have no idea about fighting hand to hand, honestly. As for making them bigger, maybe they can't. We can build some pretty damn tall skyscrapers right now, but that doesn't mean we can build arcologies. We can span huge areas with bridges, but a space elevator is way beyond our abilities. Yeah, its a handwave that the robot-building technology starts limiting the size right about the point where they're a great size to punch monsters in the face, but I'm pretty okay with it.

I have no idea about fighting hand to hand, honestly. As for making them bigger, maybe they can't. We can build some pretty damn tall skyscrapers right now, but that doesn't mean we can build arcologies. We can span huge areas with bridges, but a space elevator is way beyond our abilities. Yeah, its a handwave that the robot-building technology starts limiting the size right about the point where they're a great size to punch monsters in the face, but I'm pretty okay with it.

I am not okay with it, because punching is ridiculous compared to using guns. Fists are a weapon of last resort.

I am not okay with it, because punching is ridiculous compared to using guns. Fists are a weapon of last resort.

Nah, all you need is a sufficiently technobabbly explanation. Like the abovementioned Minovsky Particles.

Looks like another way to say midichlorians.

Pretty much, yeah :P

(for those not getting the reference, Minovsky Particles is part of the Gundam Franchise, Gundam is about giant robots beating the shit out of each other, often in melee, the explanation for why they do that rather than use ranged weaponry is because the reactors emit Minovsky Particles that basically disrupt electronics and targeting equipment. (electronics can be shielded, but not in sufficiently small a package to make guided missiles practical, and the minovsky particles even distort visible light, making conventional ranged weaponry chancy at best)

how do you feel about rocket-assisted punching? Your answer determines whether I think you're an insufferable bore or not. :P

Also, the first Kaiju is definitely brought down by conventional weaponry, because it would have shown up before they had a Jaeger program. Somewhere in there is, I'm sure, the reason they opted to not just build more battleships or whatever. If you find it to be insufficiently believable, well, that's fine.

edited to remove some unecessarily aggressive stuff in what is a thread about giant robots fighting giant monsters in a goddamned awesome way. Haters gonna hate.

• 3 weeks later...

how do you feel about rocket-assisted punching? Your answer determines whether I think you're an insufferable bore or not. :P

Also, the first Kaiju is definitely brought down by conventional weaponry, because it would have shown up before they had a Jaeger program. Somewhere in there is, I'm sure, the reason they opted to not just build more battleships or whatever. If you find it to be insufficiently believable, well, that's fine.

edited to remove some unecessarily aggressive stuff in what is a thread about giant robots fighting giant monsters in a goddamned awesome way. Haters gonna hate.

Rocket-assisted rockets make more sense than fists longer range and faster, as well. Giant fighting robots make no practical sense. Legs are feeble means of tranportation compared to wings or wheels.

You could have done without the "Haters gonna hate" cliche, too.

I might even see this mess, and if it makes sense in the movie, I will admit it here.

My feelings towards this movie have been a bit of a roller coaster. When I first heard about it I was incredibly psyched. Then I saw the first trailer (and subsequent ones thereafter) and became increasingly disappointed and less interested. About a month ago I had practically forgotten about it, and couldn't care less that it was coming out fairly soon. Now, in the last two weeks or so, my hype has returned and steadily been rising for no apparent reason. I'm thinking of going in for a matinee on Saturday.

Dude, he didn't like Pan's Labyrinth.

IDK, on the one hand, I'm going to see this movie and enjoy it mindlessly. On the other hand, it's a little saddening that we won't get At the Mountains of Madness instead...

Archived