Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim

polishgenius

"OK men, let's get to work. We must build giant robots to fight the giant monsters."

"If we have that level of technology, why dont we just build lasers or better guns? You know, upgrade the weapons we already have and then fight the monsters from a distance?"

"..... You're fired."

Nah, just let gravity crush their bloated frames, they'll die like beached whales. Seriously, when that fighter jet just flew right into arms reach.... :bs: it was almost as bad as the soldiers in Man of Steel started shooting at the aliens, right after the aliens survived an A-10's gatling cannon. And then the officer dude pulled out a knife. :stillsick: :dunce:

Giant robots suck, they're just so laughably unrealistic. But meh, no arguing taste I guess.

For what it's worth, the reason why they built giant robots to fight the monsters, instead of just shooting nukes and lasers at them, is (kinda spoilers, I guess, not really though):

The monsters are extremely "toxic" and radioactive, so if you start blowing them to smithereens, you're going to send a ton of toxic and radioactive material all over the city and into the atmosphere in massive amounts, which is apparently more destructive than a mile-wide brawl between two creatures the size of skyscrapers. So there is a reason...it may not be the best reason, but it's something. And yeah, this is a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters. You may have to suspend your disbelief a teensy bit.

ETA: Also, most of the reviews have said they've actually done a surprisingly good job making such an absurd premise into something relatively believable, all things considered.

But really at the end of the day... Giant robots fighting sea monsters. That's all you need.

+1

Especially when it's a completely original IP, helmed by a proven director that's passionate about his craft. There ain't a whole lot more that you can ask for, really.

And any comparison to Transformers just...makes my blood boil. The situation is so ridiculously different that anyone claiming a correlation is simply uninformed. Show me Michael Bay's equivalent to Pan's Labyrinth. GDT has more creativity and talent in his pinky toe than Bay has in his entire body.

And everything from the trailers and the reviews indicates that when watching the fight scenes...you can actually watch the fight scenes. It's not ridiculous shaky cam shit that stops you from being able to make out any details, that honestly more than anything put me off on shit like the Transformers. If I'm going to watch a mindless giant robots fight movie, I want to be able to watch the fights!

Other issues is that the Transformers should actually have a plot, theres characters and story there I care about, with this new IP there doesn't need to be!

And everything from the trailers and the reviews indicates that when watching the fight scenes...you can actually watch the fight scenes. It's not ridiculous shaky cam shit that stops you from being able to make out any details, that honestly more than anything put me off on shit like the Transformers. If I'm going to watch a mindless giant robots fight movie, I want to be able to watch the fights!

Goddamn, yes.

Now I need to figure out why Variety hates this movie so badly. They published a long piece going "its going to bomb and lose miiiillions!" then a different writer threw out a pretty scathing (ostensibly, some of their pithier phrases could probably be used as advertising lines) review, and a third writer has been shitting on Mexico and GdT on twitter for a while.

edit: vvvv if del Toro makes big money doing this, that's more likely. Also, to whoever was wanting an At the Mountains of Madness movie, del Toro is apparently still very interested in making one.

Reviews seem all over the shop for this one from the "it's a shitty transformers wannabe" to "it's amazing". Review I'm most inclined to believe is the one saying it's a good action summer blockbuster. Nothing more, nothing less.

I was set for seeing it on Friday but to be honest the weather is too nice in the UK at the moment to squander it, sitting in a cinema. Maybe when it rains I'll go along as I think half the enjoyment is going to be from seeing this on a big screen.

No but it beats another fucking romantic comedy.

Those don't really exist anymore. The late '90s/early '00s are long gone, movie-wise.

The only one that's come out this Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing, and I'd vastly prefer another one of that (its an amazing movie) to another over-budget, effects laden monster/robot/disaster/superhero movie.

And the only one that came out last year was Silver Linings Playbook, easily one of the best movies of the year.

The last one before that was in 2009, The Proposal, and it was supposedly pretty bad; I never saw it.

Del Toro's movies are nuts. You might get Pan's Labyrinth or the Devil's Backbone--these brutal war stories told through the eyes of children, with a touch of supernatural, and the movies will rip your heart out.

Or you might get Hellboy or Giant Robots fighting Giant Sea Monsters. He is the best director of all time. Should have done the hobbit too.

Archived