Is Melisandre scared of Patchface?

direwolf_of_white_fangs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since Patchface is a fool, I think, warg can easy take controll of his body like Bran does with Hodor.

there are theroies floating around in the forums sugesting he could already be getting warged by lord bloodraven/3EC. Im doing this on my phone right now so ive no time to find the thread but u should look into it, it makes for a very intetesting read. Another theroy is that patchface could be a prophet of the drowned god, moqqoro stated to victarion that the drowned god was a demon, no more than a thrall of the great other or something like that, but seeing as mel doesnt like patchface and moqqoro said the drowned god is a demon ect. Means then patchface could possibly have something to do with the drowned god wether it is a prophet or just an instrument being used by him. Just something to think about.

• 5 months later...

When Melisandre made that comment, I had to read it twice just to make sure she was actually referring to patchface. He is an odd one, and from what I've read on other places, there may be more to him than what we already know.

Also, you would think, being the person that she is, that she would have brought this concer to Stannis, of the queen.

That's a good point, I wonder why she hasn't. After all, if he is truly a threat / danger, then you would have thought, given how powerful she appears to be around Stannis and the Queen, that she could engineer steps to remove him. Who would mind a fool being replaced by another?

So I think either we overestimate how influential she is (surprising) or she "keeps friends close and enemies closer" and so she keeps Patchface around to get to know him better.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Notice how he always meantions "Under the sea". Being under the sea reminds me of darkness.

And after those three words, some weird and twisted line follows. I think one was "Under the sea, the fish eat the human" or something like that :P

if the Greyjoy fleet winds up at Dragonstone (maybe chasing Stone Dragons?) they would undoubtedly sacrifice their foes to the Drowned God.

• 2 weeks later...

Notice how he always meantions "Under the sea". Being under the sea reminds me of darkness.

And after those three words, some weird and twisted line follows. I think one was "Under the sea, the fish eat the human" or something like that :P

Didnt Melissandre once say, that the drowned god was nothing more than a thrall of the darkness, maybe patchface, who was lucky to be alive after the ship wreck, is like a hyped up aeron damphair, a real dark prophet or something of that like, to the drowned god, and in turn darkness! does that sound too farfetched?

There is an interesting bit in the prologue of FfC where the Inn of the Checkered Hazard is mentioned. Patchface has green and red square tattoos on his face. Checkered flags used to be used on ships to signal that they were plague ships and under quarantine. Old Castle was once quarantined due to the grey plague. And we have Patchface's association with Shireen, Val's contention that Shireen is dead already and should be killed or quarantined.

There are fire wights, ice wights and it appears that Patchface is a water wight. Jon also refers to the Haunted Forest at the Fist of the First Men as a storm tossed sea of green and wonders what is beneath the tree tops. Some of Patchface's pronouncements seem to describe the Haunted Forest, the Others, the Nights Watch or Jon Snow, the Wildlings and perhaps the CotF, or the white shadows using water or the sea as a metaphor.

What to make of Varys' "under the sea" statement:

"The storms come and go, the waves crash overhead, the big fish eat the little fish, and I keep on paddling"

Mel says she was first trained to detect threats to herself. She may understand the meaning of Patchface's nonsense statements.

There are fire wights, ice wights and it appears that Patchface is a water wight. .

Fire wights? ive only read the series once and that was over a year ago, ive just started a re-read a few days ago, but im struggling to remember mention of fire wights, have u got any text there, or care to elaborate?

Fire wights? ive only read the series once and that was over a year ago, ive just started a re-read a few days ago, but im struggling to remember mention of fire wights, have u got any text there, or care to elaborate?

Wights are things raised after death by elemental magic. Stoneheart and Dondarrion recieved the kiss of fire. Dondarrion tells us that each time he is resurrected he is less than he was before or more of him is missing. Un-Cat was dead three days or so before being resurrected and much of her is missing.

Mel and Moqorro could also be considered fire wights analogous to the Others we see in the prologue of Game of Thrones who appear to be raised by ice magic. We don't know how they are made. The priestly class seems to be a higher order of wight.

Coldhands is a wight but not sure what elemental magic is used to raise him since he doesn't have the typical blue eyes.

We are most familiar with the ice wights like Othor and Jafer who come calling on Mormont and Jon. They seem to be on the lower order of things as wights go.

Patchface was apparently drowned and dead; but resurrected.

Archived