Is Melisandre scared of Patchface?

direwolf_of_white_fangs

• 4 months later...

He was found in a shipwreck, right?

I can't remember properly, but there was something more about it... something about him being the only survivor of the wreck that killed Steffon Baratheon, Stannis' father.

And there was something more about it, about his wits (or lack of).

Was it Maester Cressen who said that, I believe, back in CoK's prologue?

• 3 weeks later...

Wights are things raised after death by elemental magic. Stoneheart and Dondarrion recieved the kiss of fire. Dondarrion tells us that each time he is resurrected he is less than he was before or more of him is missing. Un-Cat was dead three days or so before being resurrected and much of her is missing.

Mel and Moqorro could also be considered fire wights analogous to the Others we see in the prologue of Game of Thrones who appear to be raised by ice magic. We don't know how they are made. The priestly class seems to be a higher order of wight.

Coldhands is a wight but not sure what elemental magic is used to raise him since he doesn't have the typical blue eyes.

We are most familiar with the ice wights like Othor and Jafer who come calling on Mormont and Jon. They seem to be on the lower order of things as wights go.

Patchface was apparently drowned and dead; but resurrected.

Great food for thought this post. Raises the question of who were the resurrectors? Coldhands can't have been resurrected by the Others because he helps Bran and co. The other wights only seem to exist to kill everything that lives. Patchface is a "one of a kind" and I look forward to finding out what/who he really is.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd be scared of him too. He predicted the Red Wedding.

"King's blood, fool's blood, blood on the maiden's thigh, but chains for the guests and chains for the bridegroom, aye aye aye."

He was found in a shipwreck, right?

I can't remember properly, but there was something more about it... something about him being the only survivor of the wreck that killed Steffon Baratheon, Stannis' father.

And there was something more about it, about his wits (or lack of).

Was it Maester Cressen who said that, I believe, back in CoK's prologue?

Yep. He was the only survivor of the wreck at Shipbreaker Bay. It killed Steffon Baratheon and his wife, and Robert and Stannis witnessed the wreck from the castle. Patchface washed to shore the third day.

Patchface before the wreck: (written in a letter to Cressen from Steffon)

“We have found the most splendid fool,” he wrote Cressen, a fortnight before he was to return home from his fruitless mission. “Only a boy, yet nimble as a monkey and witty as a dozen courtiers. He juggles and riddles and does magic, and he can sing prettily in four tongues. We have bought his freedom and hope to bring him home with us. Robert will be delighted with him, and perhaps in time he will even teach Stannis how to laugh.”

Patchface after the wreck:

No one ever explained those two days the fool had been lost in the sea. The fisherfolk liked to say a mermaid had taught him to breathe water in return for his seed. Patchface himself had said nothing. The witty, clever lad that Lord Steffon had written of never reached Storm’s End; the boy they found was someone else, broken in body and mind, hardly capable of speech, much less of wit. Yet his fool’s face left no doubt of who he was. It was the fashion in the Free City of Volantis to tattoo the faces of slaves and servants; from neck to scalp the boy’s skin had been patterned in squares of red and green motley.

There's definitely something strange going on with him, but I wouldn't even attempt a guess at what it is. The fact that Mel is scared of him is enough to make me like him, though.

• 4 months later...

Some random crackpot theories I've came up with, but this is pretty weird. I doubt it has anything to do with Ser Richard Lonmouth (or his house), but it's a coincidence.

There's a House called House Lonmouth. It's coat of arms is a checkered shield with red lips and skulls on it. This is linked directly to the quote and, very strangely, it is covered in a motley pattern (of black and yellow). Patchface has a face painted in motley too.

Now, Ser Richard Lonmouth was a squire to Prince Rhaegar and was at the Harrenhal Tourney. No one really know what happened to him. Perhaps he died? Or was he exiled/escaped and found by Steffon Baratheon?

Anyway, I think Melisandres is scared of him. And she should be. He seems like a simpleton but he's obviously seen some stuff or has changed for the worse, but for what reason/what did he see? I have a feeling Patchface will play a large role in revealing some huge twist.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In ACOK (I think DAvos I, II or the prologue) the origin story of patchface shows that he used to be a slave.
There are others that used to be slaves, but now wield significant 'magical' power (Melisandre being a prime example but also Varys). I believe that Mel feels threatend by the mere possibility of him being powerful.

Apart from that, some of the things he says are rather eerie as well.

Varys hate magic. I notices that with the insanity(burnings, shadow binding,and blood magic) that go on in the family's lifr, that Shireen is still more well adjusted because Patchface seem to absorbed all the crazy away from her. Mel seem to dread Patchface not because he creepy, nut because he was reborn from water. Davos is not the only one that is Mel's foil. Patchface and hear are Yin and Yang(complete opposites). PF is water, Mel is fire. Patchface seem to talk about sea in his predictions, Mel sees then through fire, Mel uses deception to hide her crazy, Patchface is more upfront with his insanity. Mel wanted to burn Edric Storm, Patchface hang out with Edric Storm. people don't know how loyal Mel is, Patchface is discribed as a loyal hound waiting for it's owner(Shireen). Mel ls consider attractive , PF is consider creepy looking.

Varys hate magic. I notices that with the insanity(burnings, shadow binding,and blood magic) that go on in the family's lifr, that Shireen is still more well adjusted because Patchface seem to absorbed all the crazy away from her. Mel seem to dread Patchface not because he creepy, nut because he was reborn from water. Davos is not the only one that is Mel's foil. Patchface and hear are Yin and Yang(complete opposites). PF is water, Mel is fire. Patchface seem to talk about sea in his predictions, Mel sees then through fire, Mel uses deception to hide her crazy, Patchface is more upfront with his insanity. Mel wanted to burn Edric Storm, Patchface hang out with Edric Storm. people don't know how loyal Mel is, Patchface is discribed as a loyal hound waiting for it's owner(Shireen). Mel ls consider attractive , PF is consider creepy looking.

That is a great comparison.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived