What would you do if Stannis died?

Cardinal Sin

What was he supposed to do? Let his brother kill him? Let the laws of succesion go unheeded resulting in a war every time a lord or king dies?

I can understand him somewhat having to take Renly out, but the way he did it was questionable. Stannis could have done something different with Renly instead of killing him, with all the magic that the Red Witch has was death really the only option to handling Renly?

I can understand him somewhat having to take Renly out, but the way he did it was questionable. Stannis could have done something different with Renly instead of killing him, with all the magic that the Red Witch has was death really the only option to handling Renly?

Better to kill one rather than thousands. A king must put his duty before his honor.

What else would you call it, to deny your king and seek to steal his rightful throne? I ask you again- what is the penalty for treason under the law?"

Davos had no choice but to answer. "Death," he said. "The penalty is death, Your Grace."

"It has always been so. I am not... I am not a cruel man, Ser Davos. You know me. Have known me long. This is not my decree. It has always been so, since Aegon's day and before. Daemon Blackfyre, the brothers Toyne, the Vulture King, Grand Maester Hareth... traitors have always paid with their lives...even Rhaenyra Targaryen. She was daughter to one king and mother to two more, yet she died a traitor's death for truing to usurp her brother's crown. It is law. Law, Davos. Not cruelty.

I think it was his only choice, besides it was not overly painful, and saved the lives of many a soldier.

I'd definitely cry, and maybe throw the book away. And then buy another one, read it again, and cry some more.

And then...wait for HBO to adapt it. Fly to North Ireland or wherever they're shooting and work as an extra in Stannis' army. A man shouldn't have to outlive his king. :bowdown:

I absolutely hate to say this, but; it was the less bloodiest way you can ever imagine.

Oh, I'm also rooting for a King in the North, if they ever want it. But Stannis is the rightful King of Westeros and he is the only one who has to get the Throne. Not the Iron Throne itself, mind you, before Daenerysfans are coming in saying things like ''THE IRON THRONE IS FROM THE TARGARYENSSSSSS''. It's just a Throne, not the Kingship. But Stannis is the only rightful King of Westeros. I will accept no other.

Unless Rickon wants to be King in the North.

Does that make me a hypocrite? Obviously. But my love for the Starks is somewhat greater than my allegiance to Stannis.

I agree with this concept. Stannis is the rightful king, but even as a Stannis fan I'd allow the North to be independent.

What should he have done bb, tell me.

If the only means available to you are blood magic shadowbabies in order to seize the throne, then perhaps either A. you should have thought much longer and harder before fleeing KL so you could have conferred with Ned and avoided this debacle or B. realize that if this is all that's going for you, maybe you ought not be king, that maybe, just maybe there's something beyond being king than succession of birth.

he didn't have to do it with a goddam shadow that came out of his mistresses' birth canal.

Would you have preferred for it to have come out of some other orifice?! Surely the birth canal was the best possible point of exit!

Some people will find the most trivial reasons to criticize Stannis... I can't even....

Would you have preferred for it to have come out of some other orifice?! Surely the birth canal was the best possible point of exit!

Some people will find the most trivial reasons to criticize Stannis... I can't even....

And yet people have the gall to accuse Cersei of malfeasance for issuing her own mini revolution via birth canal.

What should he have done bb, tell me.

He should have faced his brother like a f**** man, either challenge him in single combat before the Stormlords or fight on the field of battle and prove his military genius he supposedly posesses!

If the only means available to you are blood magic shadowbabies in order to seize the throne, then perhaps either A. you should have thought much longer and harder before fleeing KL so you could have conferred with Ned and avoided this debacle or B. realize that if this is all that's going for you, maybe you ought not be king, that maybe, just maybe there's something beyond being king than succession of birth.

So your argument is that Stannis is too law abiding? :P

Archived