References and Homages

Ran

I was browsing the used record store earlier and came across a band called Marillion--at first I was excited because they might have been a ref. to GRRM, but some of their records were copyrighted 1988. Anyone heard this band, or know if GRRM might be referencing them in the name of his singer? (I was too cheap to buy any.)

They were a UK band, fronted by an incredibly tall guy called "Fish". They had quite a few hits - "Lavendar", "Kayleigh", um others probably as well. There is a post about the connection between them, the bard and the Silmarillion somewhere up-thread. Rather than the band being a reference to GRRM, it is more a cse of the bard AND GRRM being a reference to the JRRT book.

Aratan

They were a UK band, fronted by an incredibly tall guy called "Fish". They had quite a few hits - "Lavendar", "Kayleigh", um others probably as well. There is a post about the connection between them, the bard and the Silmarillion somewhere up-thread. Rather than the band being a reference to GRRM, it is more a cse of the bard AND GRRM being a reference to the JRRT book.

Aratan

All you could ever possibly want to know (and then some) about the band Marillion.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&s...dmozefqkhgf2~T1

Aratan

I don't know if this came up before, but I haven't read it in this thread. The "Queen of Love and Beauty" being chosen after the end of a tourney is a homage to Walter Scott's Ivanhoe, a classic of historic novels, to the point of chosing an unexpected woman or outsider as a major plot point.

I picked this up, don't know for sure if it's considered a nod:

In one of the Brienne POV she talks about her father being the lord of EVENSTAR

a possible nod to Tolkien

Arwen gives the Evenstar pedant to Aragorn

Err, Brienne's father is Lord of Tarth, where his seat seems to Evenfall Hall. Not Evenstar.

Aratan

The more I read the stories the more convinced I begun that Robert Baratheon is a homage to Conan.

Compare the way the two are described: both are tall and dark haired with blue eyes.

Where does the name Robert come from anyway? Is it in fact a nod to Conan's creator Rober E Howard? And come to think of it Baratheon and Barbarian are very similar words.

Both have a fondness for wenching, drinking and eating.

Both took control of a kingdom that was run by a mad king. Both felt somewhat trapped by the responsibilities of the position.

Err, Brienne's father is Lord of Tarth, where his seat seems to Evenfall Hall. Not Evenstar.

Aratan

This is probably more an influence than a reference, and if a reference a very loose one, but the Young Dragon (Daeron I? all these Targ names get reused so many times I lose track) reminds me more than a little of Alexander the Great. "A conquest that lasted a summer" and all that. Anyway just wanted to throw that out there.

This is probably more an influence than a reference, and if a reference a very loose one, but the Young Dragon (Daeron I? all these Targ names get reused so many times I lose track) reminds me more than a little of Alexander the Great. "A conquest that lasted a summer" and all that. Anyway just wanted to throw that out there.

SPOILER: AfFC
Just nitpicking, but Bakkalon (and the Steel Angels) appear in more than just "And Seven Times Never Kill Man." (IIRC, "The Way of Cross and Dragon" also refers to Bakkalon, and there are mentions in Tuf, etc.), so it's not specifically a reference to that story. It's all sort of a piece with GRRM's SFnal universe's seven gods, of whom Bakkalon takes the same place the Stranger/Faceless God has in the Westerosi Seven.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the phonetic similarity between the name "Cersei" and the goddess "Circe." True, she may not turn men into pigs literally, but she does use seduction as a tool so that the man she's with doesn't realise what's going on around them.