Tullys: Top three or bottom four?

The Frosted King

I suppose so, it just seems rather unlikely. Almost as unlikely as the Ironborn holding the Riverlands and most of the west coast of Westeros...

I cant speak for the ironborn, but the stormlands breed men like robert, stannis, beric dondarion, barristan selmy, and the basterd of nightsong.

I cant speak for the ironborn, but the stormlands breed men like robert, stannis, beric dondarion, barristan selmy, and the basterd of nightsong.

and Lyonel Baratheon and Balon Swann and Brienne. Though i don't know if Beric getting himself killed six times over is something to brag about.

Or England conquering half the world.

Britain conquered half the world, and even then had a tentative grip, and did a hell of a lot of damage. I'm English btw, but the empire was a dick move.

I imagine the Storm king, and Greyjoys conquered what they did, was because they conquered bit by bit, and their subjects never united in one form to fight against them together.

Population wise, my estimate:

Reach - 10m - density 25/square mile

North - 6m - density 5/sq.m

Riverlands -6m - density 20/sq.m

Westerlands - 4m - density 20/sq.m

Vale - 4m - density - 15/sq.m

Stormlands - 3m - density - 15/sq.m

Dorne - 2.5m - density - 10/sq.m

Iron Isles - 1m. Crazy density

I'll check these figures more carefully tomorrow when I have my maps in front of me. Right now, I imagine the order of geographical size goes:

North

Reach

Riverlands

Dorne

Vale

Westerlands

Stormlands

Iron Isles

I need to go back and check how the sizes of the Vale, Stormlands and Westerlands compare to each other though. To be continued...

I like all you said except for Doran Martell states that Dorne is the least populated of all of the seven kingdoms.

I imagine the Storm king, conquered what they did, was because they conquered bit by bit, and their subjects never united in one form to fight against them together.

Can you blame them, if you had a king like stannis would you rebel?

Can you blame them, if you had a king like stannis would you rebel?

I was talking about Argilac (sp?) and Harren, neither of which are anything like Stannis. Harren seems to have been all about shock, and awe (Harrenhall, basically a penis metaphor) and Argilac seems to have been incredibly aggressive. I don't see Stannis in either.

Stannis has in fact a skill for uniting people against him. (He's still awesome though)

Stannis has in fact a skill for uniting people against him. (He's still awesome though)

Except the men that followed him to the wall and the men marching through a blizard with him. They seem united with him.

Except the men that followed him to the wall and the men marching through a blizard with him. They seem united with him.

He has a extremely loyal core group no doubt, how much of that is due to Mel is debatable. But the Northerners are there for Ned and because they hate Freys and Boltons. Either way he lost the vast majority of his host, and he was the Stormlanders second choice, even though they all knew he should have been first.

I was talking about Argilac (sp?) and Harren, neither of which are anything like Stannis. Harren seems to have been all about shock, and awe (Harrenhall, basically a penis metaphor) and Argilac seems to have been incredibly aggressive. I don't see Stannis in either.

neither of those guys were kings at the apex of their respective kingdoms, but i suppose the point still stands. It is also interesting that is was the ironborn that took the riverlands from the Storm Kings and not the other way around.

He has a extremely loyal core group no doubt, how much of that is due to Mel is debatable. But the Northerners are there for Ned and because they hate Freys and Boltons. Either way he lost the vast majority of his host, and he was the Stormlanders second choice, even though they all knew he should have been first.

The problem with the stormlords was that renly was their lord, as lord of storms end. If stannis were lord of storms end they would have been fighting for him.

neither of those guys were kings at the apex of their respective kingdoms, but i suppose the point still stands. It is also interesting that is was the ironborn that took the riverlands from the Storm Kings and not the other way around.

It seems the ironborns usage of ships allowed them to be effective in the riverlands, thats my geuss anyway.

Harren certainly was, the Ironborn have never as far as we know had greater holdings. But the Storm kings certainly were sliding down the scale, they were more powerful then than they were pre Wo5K.

Harren seems to have been an extremely effective military leader, or at least had access to them. Argilcs fear of him, sparked the conquest.

The problem with the stormlords was that renly was their lord, as lord of storms end. If stannis were lord of storms end they would have been fighting for him.

i've always thought about that. I am not disagreeing but If i was a Storm Lord that wanted Stannis as king, and i'm already rebelling against the iron throne, why not join Stannis? You are already a traitor (Renly declared before anyone knew Joff was illegitimate), why not at least get behind who you want? Or did it have more to do with the fact Renly already had the Highgarden alliance, making victory very likely?

i've always thought about that. I am not disagreeing but If i was a Storm Lord that wanted Stannis as king, and i'm already rebelling against the iron throne, why not join Stannis? You are already a traitor (Renly declared before anyone knew Joff was illegitimate), why not at least get behind who you want? Or did it have more to do with the fact Renly already had the Highgarden alliance, making victory very likely?

Its probably a combination of stannis not declaring untill after renly and the tyrells marriage to renly making victory likely.

Harren certainly was, the Ironborn have never as far as we know had greater holdings. But the Storm kings certainly were sliding down the scale, they were more powerful then than they were pre Wo5K.

Harren seems to have been an extremely effective military leader, or at least had access to them. Argilcs fear of him, sparked the conquest.

i was under the impression the ironborn lost a good amount of the land they conquered previously (in the west perhaps) before gaining the riverlands. i could be wrong though.

Well under Quored, they ruled the coast from Bear Island to the Arbour. But I never thought they really 'ruled' with any massive assurance, just were unopposed naval wise. And we know that Casterly Rock has never been taken, so the phrase should be taken with a pinch of salt. I'd say under Harren they had a much firmer grip on lands, and a much larger terrestrial army.

Anyway need to go to bed.

Argilcs fear of him, sparked the conquest.

Yeah, in the end everything is Angelic's fault isn't it? When finally a Baratheon (who are descendants from te Storm Kings by female line) overthrown the Targs it felt somehow like justice.

Anyways, by the time of AGOT the Baratheons of Storm's Ends (to mark a difference from the KL and Dragonstone branchs) were not even close as powerful as the old Storm Kings. They still make great soldiers like Robert, Stannis, Balon, Barristan, Brienne, etc. One does not simply mess with the marcher Lords

Archived