Moments of Foreshadowing 3

Ser Wun Wun

ACoK, when Stannis burns the Seven.

"The Maiden lay athwart the Warrior, her arms wide-spread as if to embrace him."

Both the statues are togheter in the fire, and Arya has been compared to the Warrior many time, even by her mother. Sansa is the Maid, obviously.

On that same scene obviously we note the Father, "first to fall" (Ned), the Mother, whose face is been licked by the fire and has the heart pierced by a sword (Catelyn/Lady Stoneheart), the Smith, who loses his head (Robb) and the Stranger, his black fingers burning (Jon and hand burn). The Crone isn't mentioned, since Bran will live way longer than the others. Rickon is not there since despite being part of the family he is out of the game and will never get a POV.

All the statues are burning, so if burning = death it's going to be fun...

Unless fire = troubles, in that case both the girls are safe.

Still, in AGoT Arya "would have been found frozen, with a needle in her hands" and Ned forbade Arya "to stab Sansa", or something like that.

Assuming that they are foreshadowing and not jokes (and that GRRM's plans have never changed) future is pretty grim!

Personally I'd like that, but probably it won't happen...

Me likey.

I just reposted this to Heresy 44 in the Dances with Dragons drawer. The discussion is about making correspondences between the Seven and the Starks.

ACoK, when Stannis burns the Seven.

"The Maiden lay athwart the Warrior, her arms wide-spread as if to embrace him."

Both the statues are togheter in the fire, and Arya has been compared to the Warrior many time, even by her mother. Sansa is the Maid, obviously.

On that same scene obviously we note the Father, "first to fall" (Ned), the Mother, whose face is been licked by the fire and has the heart pierced by a sword (Catelyn/Lady Stoneheart), the Smith, who loses his head (Robb) and the Stranger, his black fingers burning (Jon and hand burn). The Crone isn't mentioned, since Bran will live way longer than the others. Rickon is not there since despite being part of the family he is out of the game and will never get a POV.

All the statues are burning, so if burning = death it's going to be fun...

Unless fire = troubles, in that case both the girls are safe.

Still, in AGoT Arya "would have been found frozen, with a needle in her hands" and Ned forbade Arya "to stab Sansa", or something like that.

Assuming that they are foreshadowing and not jokes (and that GRRM's plans have never changed) future is pretty grim!

Personally I'd like that, but probably it won't happen...

A good catch, but I think Arya has the stronger connection to the Stranger than Jon does. People pray to the Stranger for death and Arya's list is described as being like a prayer. She's the most connected to death, just as the Stranger is. That's how I'd interpret it, anyway.

A good catch, but I think Arya has the stronger connection to the Stranger than Jon does. People pray to the Stranger for death and Arya's list is described as being like a prayer. She's the most connected to death, just as the Stranger is. That's how I'd interpret it, anyway.

I think it's Jon for three reasons:

1 He is a "stranger" in the Stark family, due to R+L=J

2 He is associated with death, if his last ADWD chapter is true he is about to die

3 Arya isn't associated to burning fingers at all, unlike Jon.

In the very same book Catelyn associates Arya with the warrior (iirc, before or after meeting with Renly and Stannis), and she's not the only one.

Despite Arya's new "job" she isn't really compared to the Stranger, rather she works into his territory.

I think that Cersei beats her on this subject, she talks and is compared to the Stranger way more...

Other Stranger mentions are with Tyrion (he mentions him once, I believe), Sandor's horse and in FM's temple.

Warrior could be Sandor.

I don't recall him being associated with the Warrior, and he doesn't have anything to do with the other Starks.

Still, it's another take on it so why not.

...and his horse is named Stranger!

When the letter to Jon Snow in ADWD calls him a black crow, a bastard, and says that another bastard is the true born lord of winterfell. The letter also asks for Mance's wildling babe. This forshadows that Mance Rayder wrote the letter.

I don't recall him being associated with the Warrior, and he doesn't have anything to do with the other Starks.

Still, it's another take on it so why not.

...and his horse is named Stranger!

Following the line of theory that sees Sandor return from the QI a changed and pious warrior and reconnecting with Sansa.

Arya does have comparisons with the Stranger but I'm sure that Catelyn seeing Arya as the Warrior briefly was foreshadowing. My theory that she will command an army (of wolves) like Queen Nymeria in order to be able to qualify as the Warrior. The FM aren't warriors so I see that as another way.

When the letter to Jon Snow in ADWD calls him a black crow, a bastard, and says that another bastard is the true born lord of winterfell. The letter also asks for Mance's wildling babe. This forshadows that Mance Rayder wrote the letter.

Interesting. However, I don't know if this cup holds water. And I doubt we've seen the last of Ramsay Bolton.

5.) Finally, and this is more speculation than foreshadowing, I think there is a strong parallel between Dany and Nymeria. Obviously Arya's wolf is named Nymeria. One thing Tze is always pointing out in her brilliant posts is that history often seems to repeat itself in this series, albeit in a usually inverted form. So how would the Nymeria legend invert with Dany?

- The first Nymeria brought her people to Westeros to run from dragons; Dany wants to bring her people to Westeros with dragons.

-Nymeria settled her people in Dorne, the Southernmost portion of Westeros; If history inverts, then Dany would take her people to the North.

Then there is Dany's mounts prophecy, with the last vision in that sequence being a 'blue flower growing from a chink in a wall of ice.'

Blue flowers are symbolic of Stark maidens (Bael the Bard story). Might it be Arya (the blue flower) that leads Dany to the Wall? They showed Dany at the Wall in the TV show, seems like pretty strong evidence that she will end up there at some point.

I think that the keyword here is invert(ed). Quaithe's cryptic answer to Dany was:

To go north, you must journey south, to reach the west you must go east. To go forward you must go back and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow.

As was quoted above, Nymeria came from the east, Dany from to the west. Nymeria brought her people to the south in Dorne, whilst Dany will lead them north. To go forward, Dany had to go east, and to touch the light she must pass beneath the shadow..so perhaps she does need to meet with the shadow (Arya) in order to fulfill the prophecy at the Wall. Only when the evil is defeated, can she bare another child...possibly with Jon.

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

The sun (Q Martell) born in the west and died in the east. The seas have something to do with the Iron islanders and possibly Patchface, the mountains obviously turn to ash, but whom are the mountains? I was thinking on this earlier but I forgot what I intended to say here :P

"The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal.”

Pale mare (Flux), Kraken and dark flame (Victarion and the Red Priest), lion and griffin (Tyrion and Jon Conner...lol. Connington), Sun's son (Martell), and mummer's dragon (Arya).

came across this one today when Tyrion and Cersei are considering setting aside Sansa in favor of Margery

Tyrion: "...there’s still much to be said for a Tyrell marriage. It may be the only way that Joffrey lives long enough to reach his wedding night.”

a Tyrell happened to quite complicit in ensuring Joff did not reach his wedding night after all...poor Joff died a virgin ;)

came across this one today when Tyrion and Cersei are considering setting aside Sansa in favor of Margery

Tyrion: "...there’s still much to be said for a Tyrell marriage. It may be the only way that Joffrey lives long enough to reach his wedding night.”

a Tyrell happened to quite complicit in ensuring Joff did not reach his wedding night after all...poor Joff died a virgin ;)

Couldn't have happened to a kinder person. :devil:

But yeah--as soon as they started talking about him "living long enough to [insert]", little piece of merde was a dead man walking.

Archived