If you were one of the smallfolk, who would you want to be your overlord?

Ser Grimes

I'd probably be most comfortable with a Stark. They have a good value system and the majority small folk seem to love them (must be a reason). As one of the small folk, I'd know what's expected of me, and I'd know what to expect from my liege lord...

The Golden Tooth is in Lannister territory. And Edmure defended his people fairly well at the Battle of the Fords

That general area is a bottle neck which you can block from the Riverlands side if need be. They tried it, but Jaime smashed them.

He is not a good man because he burns people?

Jesus Christ, I really can't be bothered with this sort of thing any more.

Hurr durr my modern ideals should apply to everything because they are clearly right because we are more advanced n shit!

didn't stannis want to outlaw prostitution in KL or something?

I wouldn't want him, yes he is strict and wil always be lawfull. But he's like a robot, he'll make up draconian laws and you'll have to follow or be punished.

Don't get me wrong stannis is awesome i just wouldn't want to be under him.

ow yeah and i would pick

Ned

Hightower

Arryn (not his crazy Bi**h)

and mance would be pretty awesome if he counts

I pick ned as my number one becuase in peace time he seems like a great leader who really lives to serve his people and his honour.

In war the starks did send their smallfolk to war, but so would every other lord, tywin would burn half of westeros down to get back jaime

No doubt: Tywinn Lannister.

He demonstrated his capacity for economical growth in peace, negotiation and alliance building, his ruthlessness to achieve shorter (and winning) wars, and his term as Hand was long and peaceful.

Edmure Tully is underrated, and his experience as a military leader misunderstood. I do not want to open an unrelated debate, but Robb and the Blackfish were trying to manipulate him into marryng a Frey when they invented that they ordered him anything but "protect my army's back (explicit in the books) from Tywin Lannister's host while we raid the West and try to destroy Staffon's army (implicit in the situation)". But that's just my opinion, not the start of a debate. My reason to prefer Tywin to Edmure lies in Tywin's capacity in stand the weight of command, his capacity to take decisions even regardless of his (good) counselor's opinion. Taking responsability. Something we saw in Robb during warfare but not on the day by day activity (marrying). Ned on the other hand had problems in dealing with the reality of the situation in King's Landing, while beheaving with humanity in any situation in which he was in control and in power. The other serious candidate for the position of President (I would be tempted to vote for him because of his more developed positions in gender issues and on civil rights, and his less filthy idea of the black ops) would be Renly Baratheon. A true king. Apart from the obviously excluded (the driven mad like Cersei, the warmongers like Varys, the nihilists like Littlefinger, the fanaticals like Melisandre and her servants, the Maesters, the King's Guards and the Night's Watchmen) I'd rule out Tyrion for his personal instability (and for raping his true love) Doran for being obsessed with vengeance (as opposed to Tywin's practical concerns) and the Tyrrell as part of Renly's ticket.

Well, his two dozen or so normal smallfolk don't seem to have a problem with him. But I can see your point.

Either way, Stannis for my lord. He recognizes personal achievement instead of blood. He's probably not the only lord who does this, but he's really the only one we know of.

To be fair, after the battle of Blackwater Bronn and some others of no notable birth got knighted, with other rewards as well I think, presumably Tywin was behind this.

While I admire the Starks and I think they are probably good and fair rulers, with the Others coming I think I want to be waaaay down south. Highgarden sounds like a pretty stable place, food supply seems more predictable and I don't recall anyone in the books (not that we hear from the smallfolk much) badmouthing the Tyrells as lords. I could be wrong about that of course. I wonder how brutal the winters are in Highgarden and Dorne?

Heck, Brienne's dad might be a great lord to live under.

It has got to be Edmure Tully. It may have been stupid of him to let his smallfolk into Riverrun but if I were one of them I would be very happy he was treating me like someone highborn.

Edmure also sent his bannermen back to their lands to protect the smallfolk and did not give up any ground to the Lannisters.

Gregor Clegane

probably Ned actually, he was a good man and he seems like he actually cared about the people under his rule. I know the mountain clans are nobles but he went and feasted with them, he got to know his lands and his underlings, probably gave him a much better sense of what conditions his smallfolk were living under than most men with that much authority.

From a the perspective of the smallfolk I don't think it matters all that much who who the High Lord is. What matters more is who's lands you actually live on. People have made cases for Ned, Tywin, Stannis, and Doran, and they all have their merits, but that could also mean living more directly under Roose, Gregor Clegane, Godry Farring, or Darkstar.

If I was able to have my way I wouldn't have a Lord at all!

But since I have to choose for the sake of the Q, I guess I'll go with....Howland Reed. As far as we know (Or at least on my own barely-there-evidence speculation) it seems to be pretty quiet and safe in his mystery land, thanks to it's incognito nature. He appears to be a decent fellow, non-flashy, a good friend with skills and very humble kids, so he might be a decent lord.

Or definitely Maege Mormont. Nothing like some tough sucessful ladies! :cool4: As a female myself it would feel and be great, and it would be especially nifty since the women of the Island get to learn how to fight and defend themselves.

Honourable mentions, maybe Brienne's dad. He appears to be nice. I want to say Starks; the commonfolk seemed to have had a very decent life under them, and the Starks themselves even appeared to have mingled amongst everyone in close proximity, but their end was pretty nasty. So I am a little torn with them.

Manderly seems to be a reasonable choice too.

The appropriate question would be "If you were one of the smallfolk, who's lord do you think could protect you?" seems to me that's what everyone cares about.. that's all i care for too :P so it's Doran Martell for me..

Is there a thread that asks "Who's lord would you like to serve?" I'd love to have one like that.. someone should make it..

Archived