Brindled men of Sothoryos..?

Mrs.Grumpy

What are they ? :dunno:

Here's some quotes about them,

''...mud-and-blood towns of the Basilisks Isles, teeming with escaped slaves, slavers, skinners, whores, hunters, brindled men, and worse..''

''Pale Qartheen, black Summer Islanders, copper-skinned Dothraki, Tyroshi with blue beards, Lamb Men, Jogos Nhai, sullen Braavosi, brindle-skinned half-men from the jungles of Sothoryos''

Any thoughts ? :idea: :dunce:

I assume people with sort of striated skin color. We've already got the ghiscari with the multicolored hair, why not an ethnicity with naturally patterened skin? I think it's just a fantasy touch rather than having any significance. (or maybe Valyria fallout?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brindle

It's probably tribal tatoos

and the most curious is there are people from Sothoryos

and we have a quote from Groleo who talk about constructing a ship, and he said something about a kind of wood from Sothoryos (I don't remember the name of the wood he talked about), it means people go there to retrieve it or people from there sell it to people from other parts of the world.

If there are people from Sothoryos it means the continent is not empty, there are two ruined cities in the North, but it doesn't mean every side of the continent is devastated or something

• 2 weeks later...

I assume people with sort of striated skin color. We've already got the ghiscari with the multicolored hair, why not an ethnicity with naturally patterened skin? I think it's just a fantasy touch rather than having any significance. (or maybe Valyria fallout?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brindle

It could be. I like it.

I suppose there's some tribes in the northern part of Sothoryos and I hope that GRRM will introduce some of them...

I'm more interest in new locations and cultures :leer:

I would really love to know, but since we are not going to Sothoryos, I don't think we will ever get much about them.

how do you know 'we are not going to sothoryos'?. i would like it if people from the sothoryos, ibben, etc take a larger role on the series

how do you know 'we are not going to sothoryos'?. i would like it if people from the sothoryos, ibben, etc take a larger role on the series

Sothoryos, Ibben, Yi Ti, Asshai, the Jade Sea, the Summer Islands, the Basilisk Iles, the Shadow Lands and many more. There are simply too many exotic places for stuffing in any detailed information about them all.

They are really just the background scenery of the story along with the non important (lowborn) Westerosi.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

My guess is that it's just Martin's way of making the world different. We've already seen other phenotypes that don't exist/ are really rare in the real world- like the Targaryens, and Sweets.

But (thinking out loud here) could "brindled half-men" be related to the Children of the Forest? The latter seem to be a human subspecies (even if nobody in-universe knows enough taxonomy to call them that), they're smaller than human norm, and they have skin colors that are more animal than human. Children of the Rain-Forest?

• 1 year later...

The Brindled Men, like the Ibbenese, aren't actually human. Close enough where Brindled Women can have stillbirths of malformed, half-human babies but not close enough to produce a living child. Sort of like... trying to breed lions with jaguars. But because skin and fur don't preserve like bones do, no currently known proto-human could be described as "brindled".

Perhaps it's to liken them to the CotF, who are dappled, or to make them seem more ~exotic~ and animal-like. Just to drive home the "not human" factor.

Archived