Why is Euron's capacity for evil underestimated?

Lord Jaime

Euron's deeds thus far haven't been evil enough to warrant being listed beside Gregor and Joffrey.

I don't have any doubt that he's capable of some terrible shit, so people may well be mentioning him when discussing the most evil characters by the end of the series.

Regardless of where I look, people always say that Gregor and Ramsay are the most evil people of the series. Why is that?

Actually IMHO the consensus is that Littlefinger is the most evil, or causes the most suffering to the most people. As a nasty individual Euron is right up there, at least on a level with Gregor. Ramsay's rotten but pretty limited in scope compared to the others.

Ramsay wants to torture people so badly he would even do so when it threatens to turn an entire region against him and his family. He sounds like a serial killer that is bored and wants to get caught so he is taking far greater risks.

I don't see Euron doing that. He would only hurt someone if it benifited him but Ramsay and Joffrey did it because they enjoyed it.

All three are terrible people but I would say Euron is less terrible. It's hard to judge these things though, Euron may have potential for far greater cruelty we just don't know. Yet!

Actually IMHO the consensus is that Littlefinger is the most evil, or causes the most suffering to the most people. As a nasty individual Euron is right up there, at least on a level with Gregor. Ramsay's rotten but pretty limited in scope compared to the others.

I think people are not understanding what evil means - Littlefinger does the most damage to Westeros but this is because he is the guy with the most capasity and utilizes what he has - he is not doing it to make people suffer but for personal gain - people like Ramsay are truly evil but simply lack the ability to extend their manevolence. Evil is not measured by the range of his actions but by the intentions with whitch they are made.

I think people are not understanding what evil means - Littlefinger does the most damage to Westeros but this is because he is the guy with the most capasity and utilizes what he has - he is not doing it to make people suffer but for personal gain - people like Ramsay are truly evil but simply lack the ability to extend their manevolence. Evil is not measured by the range of his actions but by the intentions with whitch they are made.

He gained nothing out of telling Lysa he only ever loved Cat before killing her. That was pure malevolence.

we haven't seen enough of him. And what we have seen was through the eyes of his family who were "privileged" enough to avoid his worst excesses. He wasn't really free to do whatever he wished to them.

Meanwhile we're seen Gregor and Ramsay through the eyes of Theon and Arya, people who had absolutely no recourse against them. Had we seen Euron through the eyes of one of his victims or lowborn subordinates, we might have a different idea of him.

IMO Gregor isn't really as evil or depraved as the Brave Companions or the High Sparrow.

I actually do think he is evil; he likes to screw with peoples minds far too much to call his doings "the usual ironbron stuff" imho. Remember the one time where he made people eat their companions? This is a certain kind of psychological cruelty that goes beyond the eat-or-get-eatern philosphy the Ironborn share. In that instance he reminds me a bit of LF actually.

Why is he more liked than the other monsters? He has a certain kind of charisma and hides behind the rogue but handsome prirate mask.

Everything The Storm Queen mentioned, and plus I'll add there seems to be some hints in the text that Euron molested his brother Aeron Damphair. Here is a line from AFFC that strongly hints at it imo:

...nor memories, the bones of the soul. The sound of a door opening, the scream of a rusted iron hinge. Euron has come again.

That is some creepy fucking imagery right there :ack:

Euron is another Joffrey imo, but with some brains, which makes him even scarier.

I don't see Euron doing that. He would only hurt someone if it benifited him but Ramsay and Joffrey did it because they enjoyed it.

He most likely molested Aeron. He killed one of a group of four maesters and fed him to the others.

Ramsay is like a little cat compared to Euron.

Pattern & context.

The best evidence for Euron being evil is Victarions wife. But as readers we are so trained to look for multiple angles that we (or I, at least) don't trust Victarions POV entirely.

Beyond that, we don't know enough about him. We have multiple books filled with Mountain horridness. We have much less for Ramsay, but all of it evil.

Second, context. Evil in battle is established as different than evil outside battle. Flaying people? Evil. Raping and murdering babies against orders? Evil. Rape as warfare? Established norm.

He most likely molested Aeron. He killed one of a group of four maesters and fed him to the others.

Ramsay is like a little cat compared to Euron.

No he's really not though. I understand what you're saying- Euron strikes me as far more competent, intelligent, and overall just smarter/"better" at what he does than Ramsay. But we still haven't seen enough from Euron to really say whether he is worse or not than Ramsay. Let's not forget, Ramsay is the guy who captures women, lets them escape so he can hunt them down with dogs, and then catches and rapes, flays, and murders them. The stuff he does to Theon is of the highest caliber of psycopathy and disgusting behavior imaginable.

We really haven't seen Euron do the same, other than to classify him as a sadistic pirate sorcerer. Not full-fledged psychopath serial rapist and murderer- Although it's certainly been hinted at.

Archived