What characters have you changed your opinion on?

Éadaoin

I started the series feeling neutral towards Arya, and I ended up hating her on rereads.

When we were first introduced to Asha, I thought she was an asshole, but I really liked her once I read her POVs.

I liked Theon at first, then I hated him after ACoK. I reread his chapters while waiting for AFfC and loved him. Then ADwD...

I used to love Sandor, then I read some particularly bad fanfiction about him which ruined my image of him forever.

Barristan: At first he seemed like an honorable guy and kind of a badass, but after reading his POVs in ADWD it became clear that he's simply a one-trick-pony without a real moral code. He served Aerys, not doing anything about his increasing madness, then switched over to Robert and served him for fourteen years, meaning his entire reign... Yet when he thinks about what was done to Elia and Aegon, he thinks that if he saw Robert smile, somebody would have had to separate him from Robert... Sure thing, Barry, whatever helps you sleep at night.

So when Robert dies and Joffrey dismisses him (remember, he didn't go willingly - he would've served Joffrey) he goes to Daenerys, claiming he didn't come earlier because he saw signs of madness in Viserys. The guy that didn't see any of those signs in Aerys or Joffrey (or didn't do anything about it). So now he serves a teenage girl that doesn't want to hear any of his advice, thinks of him as Ser Grandfather and assumes that Daario could rip him apart (which I seriously doubt), meaning she doesn't even value his fighting abilities. He's a sad old fool.

Victarion: Seemed badass at first, but the more I read... Jesus, this guy is a dunderhead. Asha was the only hope of the ironborn and they threw it away because they're just too fucking scared of vaginas.

Jon Snow: Started not really caring either way, now he's one of my favorites

Tyrion and Dany, certainly. I was really sucked in to their stories in AGOT, and admired them both. And then, as the series went on, it only gradually dawned on me just how morally compromised they both are.

It doesn't mean I've stopped enjoying reading about them (although some of the Mereen chapters dragged), nor do I find them wholly bad, either. But, they've gone from being mostly good to very grey, in my eyes.

I thought Theon was pathetic in ACOK. I still think he's pathetic in ADWD, but in a way that arouses sympathy, rather than contempt. Ser Barristan, I accept, is much more morally compromised than I'd imagined on my first read-through.

She's the one I most expect that of. I think the main complaint has been boredom and things which stem from same, and I think GRRM's knot issues explain most of that. Whereas Bran kinda got boring all on his own, IMO. (forgot about him in list, which in and of itself is probably most apt. At one point I assume he was the primary sympathetic POV...now his are among the chapters I least look forward to.)

A lot of people found the Mereen chapters boring, and came to dislike her for it.

But, I think that if one considers her actions in detail, from the middle of AGOT onwards, there is quite a lot to criticise. Apple Martini's point is an excellent one. In ADWD, Dany's and Tyrion's behaviour is foreshadowed by their actions in the rest of the series. When Tyrion threatens one bed-slave, and rapes another, it brings home just how unpleasant his attitude towards women is, and just how unpleasant he can be, generally. When Dany allows two girls to be tortured in front of their father, it brings home just how cruel she can be.

So, then you re-read things such as Tyrion hitting Shae, telling Cersei it's unfair to have sex with one brother but not the other, sending men to be tortured by Joffrey, organising raids on the Vale, or Dany urging Drogo invade Westeros, and massacring the free males of Astapor, you then realise just how flawed both characters are.

IMHO, that's deliberate on Martin's part.

Didn't like Stannis when we first met him. His treatment of Cressen was poor, and he seemed like a pointless dick to everyone all the time. My opinion changed quite a bit as the series went on, and now he's probably one of the character's I most want to achieve their goals (even though I don't like the IT).

Archived