What characters have you changed your opinion on?

Éadaoin

Pretty self-explanatory. This can refer to either liking/disliking characters on a more personal level, or just as characters.

I loved Tyrion in the beginning, and threw my whole weight behind him, generally blinding myself to his faults. When he began his more obvious downfall I was crestfallen even though there had been clues all along. What can I say - I was a sweet summer child. I appreciate a good villain, but because I was under the foolish assumption that Tyrion was going to be a straight hero when I began the books, his descent into darkness hit me hard. Oh, and I also found him insufferable in ADWD.

That brings me to Jaime. I started out disliking him, but ended up quite liking him as things went on. He too has done some bad things, so I can say that I may have fallen neatly into GRRM's trap here - Tyrion started out sympathetically so I liked him, whereas Jaime started out less sympathetically and I didn't like him. I cannot defend some of the things he's done, but I find him fascinating to read about.

I know a lot of people started out disliking Sansa, but while I found her frustrating in AGOT, I always liked her.

Started off liking Dany, but Mereen has completely turned me off her, I'm sure I'll switch back once she gets out of there and starts doing stuff again. (Really loved her "Dracarys" scheme) again she sucks in Mereen.

HATED Jaime in AGOT and ACOK, now he's one of my favorite characters (He's the reason I enjoyed AFOC)

Also, started off hating Daario, but now....I still hate him

I liked the Hound until he deserted at the BBB, I thought he brought more to the story as a vilain then a sad drunk trying to redeem himself by bringing Arya Stark home (I realize I won't make any friends here by saying this, but I don't care, I mean it. Even though duel with Beric Dondarrion was one redeeming moment).

I liked Dany until she got to Meereen now if I read one more line about her eating figs, I will wish for Drogon's fire

I started off loving Tyrion, but I grew to hate him in ADwD. And when I reread the series, I realized he was always a very morally compromised character, not the protagonist I initially thought he was. Dany was one of my favorite characters in AGoT, but I quickly soured on her.

I initially did not like Sandor or Jaime. I wanted them both dead. But Sandor became my absolute favorite character after he told Sansa about how he received his burns. And, as much as I resisted, I started liking Jaime as soon as he got a POV.

I started off loving Tyrion, but I grew to hate him in ADwD. And when I reread the series, I realized he was always a very morally compromised character, not the protagonist I initially thought he was.

Could have written this myself. It's funny because I enjoy villains like LF and Roose, but feel so torn up about Tyrion. I think it's precisely because I had Tyrion built up in another way in my head. I think GRRM making Tyrion so dark grey was great - I just miss the "hero Tyrion" I had imagined on a personal level.

Hated Catelyn in GoT because she treated Jon like shit and convinced my man Ned to leave his home and get in entwined with the King's Landing bullshit. But her story in the next two books is so beautifully tragic and well written (the best written stuff GRRM ever wrote as far as I'm concerned), I couldn't help but love her. One of the strongest souls in Westeros, and her death affected me more than either Ned's or Robb's.

I used to hate Cersei, now she's one of my favourite characters. The same goes for Jaime too. Tyrion is the opposite. He was one of my favourite characters, and now I'd happily never read another one of his chapters.

I used to prefer Arya to Sansa, but now it's the other way around.

I used to think that Lady Stoneheart was just a vengeful zombie, but now I appreciate her and find her actions to be understandable, if not always rational.

I used to like Jon, but then on my re-reads I kept noticing cues that made me feel like I was being manipulated into liking him (and the same goes for Arya and Tyrion), so it put me off him and now I just feel quite ambivalent towards him.

I used to like Jon, but then on my re-reads I kept noticing cues that made me feel like I was being manipulated into liking him (and the same goes for Arya and Tyrion), so it put me off him and now I just feel quite ambivalent towards him.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel on rereads of Dany chapters. :)

For the longest time, I thought Theon was the biggest git I'd ever read of. But as ADWD continued, my opinion changed more to one of pity than loathing. Also, Ned: at first I was like, "This guy's awesome!" but then some of the things he does just made me feel less and less amiable.

It would appear that I have nothing original to add to this thread.

My first read-through of the series, loved Tyrion. However, I had a strong change of opinion on re-read, even before Dance came out. It hit me just how correct Genna was about Tyrion being his father's son. I also realized that I was being fooled by his sense of self-pity and ability to justify his actions in to forgiving and approving of his acts.

I hated Jaime with the hate of a 100 hates during Game and Clash, started to like him the first time I read Storm but resisted it every step of the way. Now, I've come to love him, even with all of his many flaws.

I thought Sandor Clegane was a horrible excuse for a human being the first time I read the series. I came to love him after being able to look at his complete story arc.

Hated Asha in the beginning, started to grudgingly like her during the kingsmoot, now I've come to really love her.

Loved Jon, Cat, and Sansa from the beginning. Nothing has caused me to veer in that opinion.

Sansa, Jaime, and Sandor are all characters that I started off disliking at various levels, but have come to be favorites. I'd probably include Jon in that as well- I've always liked him, but now I like him even more after ASOS and ADWD. Sansa I found boring in AGOT, but just about the moment when Joffrey showed her Ned's head I became really invested in her and her chapters- She's also proved to be a surprising badass imo as well.

On the other side, Tyrion has to be the biggest drop off, but Dany isn't far behind. I loved Dany in AGOT and even liked her boring-ish chapters in ACOK, but I pretty much dislike her now ("I am the blood of the Dragon. Do not presume to lecture me." was probably the big watershed moment).

I used to fund Tywin to be kind of decent, compared to his family, but that was before I read ASoS and my view was kind of warped by the show, which did a terrible job portraying him.

Inaccurate portrayal, sure, but Tywin was horribly two-dimensional in the novels, so I don't mind the change.

Hated Catelyn in GoT because she treated Jon like shit and convinced my man Ned to leave his home and get in entwined with the King's Landing bullshit. But her story in the next two books is so beautifully tragic and well written (the best written stuff GRRM ever wrote as far as I'm concerned), I couldn't help but love her. One of the strongest souls in Westeros, and her death affected me more than either Ned's or Robb's.

A fellow Cat appreciator. :crying: I never disliked her but didn't fully appreciate her on my first read, IIRC. Now I see the brilliance of her character and storyline. As you said, her story is one of the best things GRRM has ever written, and I believe she is his strongest creation, surpassing even Theon. Truly a deeply human and well-written character.

Stannis--- Started CoK being fascinated by him but generally disliking his actions. Then I learned more about through Davos and others, and finally saw him show up to save the Night's Watch and the Wall from the Wildlings. His journey, and his growth as a person, have made him go from "meh" to my favorite character.

Jaime--- His change is pretty impressive since I despised him from Chapter 1 of GoT. Basically we never really knew the guy, and once you did (and grasped the reasons for what he's done) you can't help but sorta....like him. He'll never have his slate wiped clean, but he might just get a little honor back before he dies.

Archived