What characters have you changed your opinion on?

Éadaoin

I don't usually change my opinion that much. I can be fickle but I don't usually start loving a character I hated for example.

I guess early on I liked Ned but then as the story went on in AGoT he was very unlikeable to me. I find him very dry as a character.

I was told that I would start liking Jamie and Sansa because they get so much better but that never happened. I still dislike both of them so no change there.

I used to dread Jon's chapters but they were good in ADWD. However, if certain theories are correct and he's say king of the wildlings I can potentially start to dislike him.

I loved Dany but she was horrible in ADWD. I'm disappointed in her but I think she will get better in the next books.

Sandor. I don't like him at all. I wouldn't say I did before. I didn't care. But I dislike the bargain bin Beauty and the Beast storyline with touches of Jane Eyre/Rochester. Neither stories I found to be good and the writing/story here I find to be of lesser quality.

There's also the fans. It's like the Loki effect where he clearly is a bad guy but then you have all these fangirls woobifying them. I'm not even off base here because GRRM did an interview saying something to this effect.

I dislike that the fact that he was Arya's jailor and kidnapper gets ignored/downplayed or romanticized.

Lyanna and Rhaegar are losing their appeal to me but it wouldn't go into the realm of hate depending on what info is missing.

I hated Joffrey but his lackluster death ruined everything so now I'm indifferent to him.

Tyrion I'm indifferent to but if where do whores go doesn't retire then he's going to be on Ygritte status for me.

Stannis went from simple dislike to liking some aspects to him. He's funny but I still find him annoying as hell.

My first read-through of the series, loved Tyrion. However, I had a strong change of opinion on re-read, even before Dance came out. It hit me just how correct Genna was about Tyrion being his father's son. I also realized that I was being fooled by his sense of self-pity and ability to justify his actions in to forgiving and approving of his acts.

I swear I had a thoughtful response to this, but then I saw your member title and could not stop laughing. :lol:

I swear I had a thoughtful response to this, but then I saw your member title and could not stop laughing. :lol:

I'm glad you like it. I was deeply hurt not to be included in that list so I decided to insert myself anyways. I'll wear it like a badge of honor.

Now this is one I havent seen. Annoying? How so?

I find him to be too rigid and too demanding.

He was compared to Gollum somewhere recently and that's another character who I can find simultaneously amusing and annoying.

I find him to be too rigid and too demanding.

He was compared to Gollum somewhere recently and that's another character who I can find simultaneously amusing and annoying.

But that rigidness is what makes him who he is. Its his thing. Demanding? I dont know about that, all he demands is that you do your job, your duty. Thats not demanding at all. As for comparing him to gollum, no not at all.

I used to love Tyrion's chapters, and I was even willing to overlook him killing Shae and Tywin. Then came ADWD, and my regard for him just plummetted. I don't think anything GRRM can do can ever make me sympathetic towards him again. I just got tired of him after that, though I still do like to reread his chapters from time to time, because they're interesting (at least in the first 3 books).

I also didn't like Jaime at first, then started liking him as the series went on, though I don't see him as an "honourable" or "good" character as some in these forums do (I just like the development of his character, and think his relationships with Brienne, Cersei, Tyrion and Tywin are very interesting).

Lysa I hated at first, but now I'm starting to feel somewhat sympathetic. I still don't like her, but my hatred has toned down a bit.

I used to love Dany, now I only like her. I also used to dislike Catelyn (Oh, the shame! :blushing:) but now I've started liking her, and think she's the most tragic character in the series.

I always liked Sansa as a character. I don't really mind Arya either. I've always been 'meh' about Jon, so that hasn't changed either.

I liked Jon in aGoT, but he got a little tedious all the way up to aDwD, where I started admiring him.

I disliked Sansa in aGoT, became neutral towards her through aSoS, and now I like her.

I disliked Stannis at first, but his determination and performance post aFFC made me really like the character.

And my feelings on Cat started with dislike in the first few chapters, to neutral, to great sympathy for someone so human in aSoS :crying:

And I loved Dany. But through aFFC and aDwD I became completely indifferent to her. I dislike Theon, but would be interested in reading about him. If the whole Dany arc disappeared, I would not be upset with the remainder of the storyline.

But that rigidness is what makes him who he is. Its his thing. Demanding? I dont know about that, all he demands is that you do your job, your duty. Thats not demanding at all. As for comparing him to gollum, no not at all.

It's a quality I often find annoying.

As for being demanding one example for me is when he wanted the Northmen's help Jon said you need to ask. Stannis is all like beg? Why should I beg for what is owed to me? He didn't even know the clans or their culture/politican situation but demanded that they fight for him. He does heed Jon's advice but that initial reaction I find annoying and I don' think it's an isolated instance with him.

As for being demanding one example for me is when he wanted the Northmen's help Jon said you need to ask. Stannis is all like beg? Why should I beg for what is owed to me? He didn't even know the clans or their culture/politican situation but demanded that they fight for him. He does heed Jon's advice but that initial reaction I find annoying and I don' think it's an isolated instance with him.

The northmen did owe him their support. The moment they pledged to house baratheon. An example would be if your boss asks you to do your job and you say he/she is "demanding" that deosnt make your boss demanding they just want you to do what they pay you for.

I'm glad you like it. I was deeply hurt not to be included in that list so I decided to insert myself anyways. I'll wear it like a badge of honor.

I'm bummed that I missed whatever thread that was. :(

I always liked Sansa as a character. I don't really mind Arya either. I've always been 'meh' about Jon, so that hasn't changed either.

I used to be indifferent to Arya, but now I really like her. It helps that she has some similarities with her mother (I'm a shameless Cat fan), and I think her story is quite interesting. But I didn't realize I liked her until I spent some time in the Rereading Arya threads. I realized I'd been missing out on some aspects of her character.

I'll probably never be a huge Jon fan, though.

Dany has become a bit annoying I must admit.

Also at first I thought Walder Frey was just a feeble, bitter old man. Then the RW happened and I found out that he was not only bitter but treacherous and spiteful with no regards for even his own family (Roslin, Olyvar).

I thought Roose Bolton was a bad-ass Northerner who was going to do the dirty work that Robb didn't seem to want to do. He did do the dirty work after all, just not for Robb.

And of course, Jamie. I love that guy now. I still can't accept what he did to Bran, but it seems falling from the tower was part of Bran's destiny

The northmen did owe him their support. The moment they pledged to house baratheon. An example would be if your boss asks you to do your job and you say he/she is "demanding" that deosnt make your boss demanding they just want you to do what they pay you for.

I don't think they owed him anything at that point but we can agree to disagree on Stannis.

I used to like Jon but I started to go off him the moment he caved in to Ygritte (and by gods I hated her) and I'd become pretty indifferent to him by the end ADwD, I think it's something to do with the feeling that he's being built up for some kind of destiny. And, as someone said, the feeling that the way his chapters are written sort of stack the deck in terms of positive audience reactions.

There are a few who I disliked until their PoVs but then again, most of those characters are undergoing redemption arcs, so I'm putting that down to character growth rather than me changing my mind.

I disliked Stannis for quite a while over the Cressen thing, and his weird sort of semi-oblivious respinse to Renly's assassination, and quite a bit besides, but I've warmed to him a lot.

Archived