Dany's Army

Jon Longclaw

I just wanted to get a count on her Army.

So far I count:

20,000 Dorthaki

10,000 Unsullied

4,000 Mercenaries

6,000 Freedmen

90 Greyjoy ships

Is this correct? And if not what is it? And what is what is the normal Army in Westeros?

I'd say it's almost impossible to accurately guess how many fighters Dany will land with in Westeros. We don't know how many Unsullied have been killed in Harpy attacks, how man freedmen have died from the plague, how many Dothraki she'll come away with or how many ships will make it safely back to Westeros. It doesn't do her much good to leave Slaver's Bay with 100,000 fighters if half the ships sink, you know?

I don't think anywhere near that many will end up making the crossing with Dany when she finally departs for Westeros. For one thing, even the ships that Victarion has wouldn't be able to fit that many men. He might be able to take the Unsullied and some mercenaries or freedmen, but not much more than that.

There are also other issues. If she wants to continue holding Meereen after the battle (assuming there's something left to hold), then someone will have to remain there to protect the city and enforce the authority of whomever Dany appoints. I have a hard time seeing Dany taking 20,000 Dothraki riders with her. I'm sure she'll have a few from her original khalasar, and perhaps some who pledge themselves to her cause, but they're going to be the most difficult force to persuade to leave Essos.

So far I count:

20,000 Dorthaki

10,000 Unsullied

4,000 Mercenaries

6,000 Freedmen

90 Greyjoy ships

Is this correct? And if not what is it? And what is what is the normal Army in Westeros?

More like

20k dothraki who probably won't join her(she is sworn to kill their khal)

8,600 unsullied - not counting any casualties in the yunkish battle, sack of Meereen , sack of Astapor, Battle of Meereen and the random kills by the harpy

500 mercenaries(only stormcrows - the rest are maybe)

6000 untrained and barely armed freedmen

45 greyjoy ships(the rest sank) - and these too are iffy

So far I count:

20,000 Dorthaki

10,000 Unsullied

4,000 Mercenaries

6,000 Freedmen

90 Greyjoy ships

And a partridge in a pear tree

ETA: Kidding aside, she doesn't have that many Dothraki yet.

She should have spent more time with her dragons and less time trying to have a tutorial in ruling...

The dragons are her only real asset aside from the unsullied and Barristan.

Its not explicitly mentioned how the dragon-lords of old valyria controlled their dragon apart from with spells etc.

Since Dany doesnt know any these she will logically have to rule the dragons as one rules a dog. Which needs time and training.

As has been said, a ragtag army landing in westros comprised of merc's,freed slaves and slave soldiers is not going to win many hearts and minds.

Jorah was right about that, she needs westerosi lords on her side.

More like

~30 Dothraki, either too old or still very young

<8000 Unsullied

couple of incompetent Freedmen and Brazen Beasts

~500 mercenaries

3 teenage, barely controlled dragons

Normal army sizes are about 20,000 men, a third cavalry, half of those knights or heavy cavalry. There are currently 12-15 of those available in Westeros.

Archived