"Wow, I Never Noticed That."

Upon book rereads, family tree research and Wiki scouring, have you ever come across some little bit of minutiae that made you go, "Wow, I never noticed that." It doesn't have to be anything ground-shaking, just anything interesting for its own sake.

Here's my first contribution:

Assuming R+L=J, Sam and Jon are actually related to each other by marriage. Sam's mother is a Florent, Selyse Baratheon's first cousin, making Sam and Shireen Baratheon second cousins. Jon and Shireen would be third cousins; Rhaegar and Stannis are second cousins.

ETA: Continuing on with Sam, it might become significant, seeing as he's in Oldtown, that his aunt is the current Lady Hightower.

Upon book rereads, family tree research and Wiki scouring, have you ever come across some little bit of minutiae that made you go, "Wow, I never noticed that." It doesn't have to be anything ground-shaking, just anything interesting for its own sake.

Assuming R+L=J, Sam and Jon are actually related to each other by marriage. Sam's mother is a Florent, Selyse Baratheon's first cousin, making Sam and Shireen Baratheon second cousins. Jon and Shireen would be third cousins; Rhaegar and Stannis are second cousins.

ETA: Continuing on with Sam, it might become significant, seeing as he's in Oldtown, that his aunt is the current Lady Hightower.

I don't think that's right. Just because Jon is Shireen's cousin and Sam is Shireen's cousin, it doesn't mean they are related to each other. Unless I'm missing something, Jon is related to Shireen through Stannis, while Sam is related through Selyse. That means they are not related to each other at all because each respective relationship goes through a totally different branch of the family.

I was completely shocked by Whitebeard being Barristan. When I look back it is so obvious but I didn't have a clue... even when he was talking to Jorah about tournies it still didn't click.

I think part of the reason was in my head whitebeard was ancient 80+ but Barristan was in his 50's

A friend pointed out to me that Jon's first love was an older woman with red hair. He then proceeded to explain iun-depth about how Jon/Ygritte was Jon working out some severe mommy-issues. I cannot unsee this.

Stuff from the TvTropes page for ASoIAF:

There's some definitely Stealth Pun humor with the Kettleblack brothers. Their accusing others of their own crimes fits with the proverb about what the pot called the kettle. Also, it has to be a deliberate joke that they are the epitome of mediocrity. They are practically indistinguishable, in appearance, behavior, and names- note that the initials of all of them are "O.K.

It's rather interesting to see hidden context to comments made by the characters after reading the series through a second time. One thing I noticed in particular was a comment by Littlefinger to Ned Stark about how the Starks melt when they come below the neck. What I didn't realize until the re-read was how cruel this comment was, when you consider that Ned's father was burned alive in King's Landing

A friend pointed out to me that Jon's first love was an older woman with red hair. He then proceeded to explain iun-depth about how Jon/Ygritte was Jon working out some severe mommy-issues. I cannot unsee this.

I hope this was a joke, because this isn't really an issue. Ygritte was obviously a few years older than Jon, but not older than her early twenties, making it really hard for it to have been a "mommy-issues" thing.

One of the biggest "huh's" for me was on my reread, I realized why Arya asked the kindly old man in Braavos if the madness medicine would work on dogs - because that's what Jaqen used on Weese's dog in ACoK. I just chalked the "does it work on dogs?' comment on my initial read as Arya's curiosity, given her own attachment to dogs/wolves.

Some other huh's were, as I learned on this forum, Frey Pies and Aegon potentially being fake - neither I even considered. Although, I did think it was almost TOO convenient for Illyrio that they had another dragon tucked away, but I assumed this was more of a plot necessity - I didn't consider that the character himself could be a fake.

There's been loads of other "huh's", but those are the only ones that immediately come to mind.

ah I thought Arya was asking if it worked on dogs because she was thinking about giving it to Sandor Clegane! haha! trying to get the hate out of him or make him good (if he is the gravedigger maybe it worked;-))

Makes much more sense that she is thinking about how Jaqen managed to turn the dogs on Weese. Good catch!

As for Frey pie I had suspisions for alot of the chapters as I had a feeling Manderley was up to something. The moment he mentions the Rat Cook though just made it clear to me. One of the hidden gems I managed to catch.

Today it was seeing "the hooded stranger" statue in the House of Black and White when Arya first goes there. Perhaps the one in Winterfell was the Stranger. Not that I am particularly happy about this kind of interpretation, ie not a real person.

Earlier it was seeing a reference to Jorah's Lynesse - a brother from Oldtown went over there to Lys to see if she would provide some sellsails to fight the Ironborn.

Oberyn poisoned Tywin, which was pointed out on this forum. That one really shocked me, even though the evidence was clearly there in hindsight.

The raven that saves Sam and Gilly from the wights was Mormont's raven, the one warged by BR. I didn't catch that until recently for some reason, even though it is sooo obvious. :dunce:

The warlocks Euron captured were Pyat Pree and his buddies who had set off in search of Dany. If not for this forum I never would have figured that out.

Oberyn poisoned Tywin, which was pointed out on this forum. That one really shocked me, even though the evidence was clearly there in hindsight.

This was one of the few theories that I figured out completely on my own on my first read, without help of the internet. What i'm wondering is if this will ever be mentioned again, by... well, anyone within the books themselves.

The warlocks Euron captured were Pyat Pree and his buddies who had set off in search of Dany. If not for this forum I never would have figured that out.

Oh, that is interesting indeed. Link to said thread(s)? I kind of want to see the evidence/textual backing for this.

I'll just quote an old post of mine on it:

A Victarion chapter in AFFC. I think it is called The Reaver, chapter 30. The one where he talks with Euron.

EDIT: Actually, you have to read two chapters to cobble this information together.

1st, the Dany chapter in ADWD when she talks with Xaro. There we learn that Pyat Pree set off with 3 other warlocks in a ship in search of Dany, but they headed in the wrong direction, towards Pentos.

2nd, then you have to go back to the AFFC chapter I mentioned above where Euron tells Vic that he captured 4 warlocks and killed one, making the other 3 eat him. It is not explicitly said that it is Pyat Pree's group, but I think that is a safe assumption given that there were exactly 4 of them.

In that same chapter it is said that Euron has 3 wizards on his ship, who the Ironborn believe cast a spell to make the weather be in their favor on the journey to the Reach. They are called "wizards" but because there are 3 of them, I think we can safely infer that they are the warlocks he captured.

Huh, seems legit to me.

I just wonder how those three wizards are going to figure into things now...

Perhaps Euron will hear of a "dragon landing" and Euron and his men will all think it Dany, and the wizards will convince Euron that the dragon is evil? I guess we'll have to see.

I really hope this isn't one of those things that we never hear of again.

Archived